Any benefits in buying a HD DVR?

Highgear

Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Wethersfield,CT.
Can someone explain to me if there are any benefits in purchasing a HD DVR? I'm jumping ship from DTV to Dish because the Dish has more stations to offer over DTV. I understand I will be paying $15 per mo. for the HD programing + DVR from Dish. Will that payment go away if I purchase a Dish Network HD DVR from someplace like ebay? If not, what are the advantages in owning my own HD DVR?

I was thinking the same thing, but for the price of a new receiver it is not worth buying. Just sign up as a new subscriber from DTV and they will give you a good offer. Free installation I would imagine and whatever else you need to get up and running. The First DVR is included in your sub. If you have a second TV you can run it with the duo receiver. If you are set on buying look at $200-$400 to buy the receiver. The technology will outpace the payback time.

If you'll look on my pictures with modifications, you'll know why owning is better. Check eBay - 622 are pretty cheap and if you'll buy approved Seagate 500 GB disk, your 622 will be like 722.

If you'll look on my pictures with modifications, you'll know why owning is better. Check eBay - 622 are pretty cheap and if you'll buy approved Seagate 500 GB disk, your 622 will be like 722.

So if I do buy a 622, will that mean that Dish Networks will not charge me the $10 for HD and the $5.98 for DVR service?

You can go with the locals/dvr bundle (for each basic programming pack: classic bronze/silver/gold/) and the dvr fee is bundled with your programming. The hd fee is separate , but for 10.00 you can get the platinum channels included with your basic hd pack. The real advantage to owing your own receiver is that if you install your own dish and receivers, you can sub to just locals, or to the welcome pack + locals and then there is no commitment. I have always owned my own receivers , but with the new 922 about to be released , I might have to lease. I simply can not afford to buy anymore.

Can someone explain to me if there are any benefits in purchasing a HD DVR? I'm jumping ship from DTV to Dish because the Dish has more stations to offer over DTV. I understand I will be paying $15 per mo. for the HD programing + DVR from Dish. Will that payment go away if I purchase a Dish Network HD DVR from someplace like ebay? If not, what are the advantages in owning my own HD DVR?
You are going to pay the same fees, lease or own. No advantage to owning, IMO.

You are going to pay the same fees, lease or own. No advantage to owning, IMO.
I agree and I have bought all of my DVR's (625 and 622). It use to pay but not anymore. I also don't like the 2 yr commitment.
With my 622 I didn't want to wait for the install of 61.5 also HD Absolute (programing package) was going to end. For the price I paid for the 622 it didn't pay to take a day off.
So if you don't mind a 2 yr commitment with the best HD DVR (hands down) and the best HD selection you can't go wrong.
Good luck.

I ONLY BUY, if they forced me to lease I will cancel.

Over the years I have upgraded hard drives, you cant do that when leased

by the time you take time off work for installation, and pay the upgrade fee. lease is a loser for me.

i enjoy doing wiring upgrading etc

two other small differences - i know the first affects some.
Con - there is an offical limit on leased tuners (4, i believe = 2 * 662/722) -Owned you can add more.
Pro - When you need to upgrade and are leasing , you dont have hardware to store/recycle you just return it.

I ONLY BUY, if they forced me to lease I will cancel.

Over the years I have upgraded hard drives, you cant do that when leased

by the time you take time off work for installation, and pay the upgrade fee. lease is a loser for me.

i enjoy doing wiring upgrading etc

AFAIK, no one is forced to lease, but rather forced to buy. Buying the boxes is GREAT for Dish because you have just saved them lots of acquisition costs, so buyers are beloved. However, if one wants to add more boxes than the lease program allows, then you must buy.

Buying is very bad for the average consumer, but for the affluent who have the $$ and knowledge for modifications, it's "price is no object". However, you can get the first few boxes leased and buy the remaining. This will give you a path to upgrading to the latest boxes, like the 922, without having to make an initial cash investment to buy and own the first box. Buying the 922 is going to be for those who have no money problems.

E leases because as leased equiptement it can be carried on their books as a depreciable asset. beancounter smoke and mirrors magic. makes E look more profitable.

leased boxes less likely to be tampered with

What kind of modifications do you do? Cooling? Just curious. I own one and didn't really know there was much to do to it. I have been thinking about changing that noisy fan.

Don't forget another benifit of buying is
If you have 5 or more rooms of service.
E* will Not lease more then 4 rooms of service.
Not Tuners !!, ROOMS.
You can lease 4 VIP 612's .Thats 8 tuners. But that still only serves 4 rooms.

Expand internal disk or/and make a few of them for swap.
I just bought a new 722k and have not activated it yet, is there a advantage to copying virgin info from the drive to make replacement easier, or is it not a issue like the 5xx series?
sorry to hi-jack thread...lol

lease them and get DDA to save money on the fees. be aware as well that this rcvr can do external hard drive recording, so you wont need to own it to get a drive to hold more

I just bought a new 722k and have not activated it yet, is there a advantage to copying virgin info from the drive to make replacement easier, or is it not a issue like the 5xx series?
sorry to hi-jack thread...lol
Not to worry - any approved disk will formatted automatically.

Hope in new FW they will add functionality of already approved 1TB disks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)