Any chance at all for 58W 4160H on a mini-BUD? Has anyone been successful?

Psikic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 8, 2014
Conway, AR
I have very limited space, and the best I could probably put up right now is a 1.2m fixed dish. Any chance at all I could lock this transponder on a small dish? I know the answer is likely a "probably not" but I was wondering if anyone has tried and been successful.

I'm in Minnesota and have received this on a 1.2 before! It came on a smaller Primestar dish as well, so give it a chance!

FWIW, I've received a few things on 58W on a miniBUD in the past so it's totally worth your time to experiment.

Are you trying to receive NHK Japan? This is what's on 58W at 4160 MHz. If so, it's a lot easier to receive on 103W at 12145 MHz using a Ku-band dish.

I don't know what the broadcast on 58 looks like, but the one on 103 was overcompressed the last time I looked at it. Ironic since Japan pioneered HD. Also, whoever it belongs to, it's not an official broadcast of NHK, so it's not something you should rely on sticking around.

Reactions: Brct203 and N5XZS
I don't know what the broadcast on 58 looks like, but the one on 103 was overcompressed the last time I looked at it. Ironic since Japan pioneered HD. Also, whoever it belongs to, it's not an official broadcast of NHK, so it's not something you should rely on sticking around.
I agree, it looks terrible on 103W Ku, at least it does since it changed transponder last year. That's a shame because it's a nice channel.
It does look much much better on 58W C-band

NHK has a super generous amount of error correction making it probably the easiest transponder to receive on 58W. If you're going to catch anything from 58W, I'd bet NHK is it.

NHK World English is 24/7 so tune for that. NHK Premium in Japanese is scrambled most of the time but unscrambles for news broadcasts (from memory 6am, noon, 7pm, 9pm and 11pm JST and Sunday morning shows)

NHK World radio is also unscrambled 24/7 and channel 1 is more or less a straight relay of NHK Radio 1.

Reactions: N5XZS and FTA4PA
Are you trying to receive NHK Japan? This is what's on 58W at 4160 MHz. If so, it's a lot easier to receive on 103W at 12145 MHz using a Ku-band dish.

Sent from my SM-G950W using the SatelliteGuys app!

I am a huge fan of the NHK World broadcast on 103 Ku. I've been watching it for years, but just realized that the C-band feed on 58 is in 1080p, but the 103 Ku feed is 720p and horribly compressed. If I could just set up another Ku-band sized dish using the spare C-band LNB that I've experimented with before and be able to somewhat reliably lock NHK in C-band, I'd do it! I'll give it a try sometime when I get the chance. Thanks!

I am a huge fan of the NHK World broadcast on 103 Ku.
You and me both. I watch some NHK daily. In Arkansas, satbeams says you need a 130 cm dish for the C-band tp. From this and from what others are saying, I'd give it a try if I were you. For me, supposedly I need a 250 cm C-band dish. So it could be tough for me without a big dish.

Their signal on 58W uses FEC 1/2 with C/N lock of just 2.7 dB which confirms what martyn said. I have a 1.2m dish fixed on NHK on 103W. I find it quite watchable, but of course 58W would be better if I could see that.

Sent from my SM-G950W using the SatelliteGuys app!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)