New Experimental video codec being tested 50% better than HEVC

If claims for ATSC 3 are correct, they might be able to adopt this into the standard. But I don’t see how new hardware could be avoided

Reactions: N5XZS
More new update on the super HEVC codec H.266. :)

Here's the link!:hatsoff Successor to HEVC Good News for Hi-Resolution Video

They should put this new version of HEVC instead of H.265 and put the new one in H.266 for ATSC 3.0 that will improve by 50% to me is a holy grail.

By golly, it's possible you can send ham radio TV with 480i video format 30 FPs on 2 meter band with the super codec with this new mode H.266 if they can crarm it down less than 100 KHz bandwith wide with right kind of modulation schemes!:bow

Back in the old days they say is inpossible to send high definition 1080i digital in a 6 MHz analog channel world and look how we manage how to cram in with 2 HD and 1 SD KRQE-DT rf ch.13 just with MPEG 2 or there one station KNAT-DT rf ch. 24 thats sends 2 HD and 2 SD channel all in 1 single 6MHz channel!:)

I guess we got too used to it and it's bound to get better as we go along on river of time.

It's just matter of time before we get to Star Trek ages, if our civilization survive this current crisis that we are going through now, but stay positive my friend thing will get better!:):cool:

If claims for ATSC 3 are correct, they might be able to adopt this into the standard. But I don’t see how new hardware could be avoided
Not necessarily. A new codec could mean a software or firmware update. Then again, what would be the incentive for hardware developers to do that when It's more profitable to sell you new gear?

Can the ATSC 3.0 system download new software updates to 3.0 TV sets by upgrading from H.265 to H.266 codec and keep the old codec versions for other stations still using MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.265?:)

As long there is no new modulations schemes that could required a new hardware i'e moving from 8VSB to COFDEM for example.:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts