Any Chance Comcast Cable Will Add Voom 21?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HDVoomer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Any Chance Comcast Will Add Voom 21?

Just was wondering if Comcast or any other cable company plans on adding Voom's 21 HD channels?

Just ask them If enough people ask about it it could happen, I don't know your cable companies present offerings, but 21 full HD channels will take up a lot of BW.

I emailed them, telling them Dish added them. I asked for the HdNets (like other cable providers offer) and the Voom channels, and told them I was thinking about switching since HD channels are my biggest priority.

The response I got back was not encouraging.

lostcause said:
what was the response??
The response was polite, but not encouraging. They thanked me for the feedback, because it helps them them know what people want added. They then said they are committed to deploying HDTV service, but that it's not easy due to bandwidth concerns, negotiations with the channel owners, low consumer demand for HD channels, etc. They finished by saying they don't have any plans to add channels that they can share with me at this time.

It's too bad cable competition hasn't taken off yet in the Miami area. If Comcast were forced to act like a competitor rather than a monopoly that gets a steady stream of customers by default, they'd likely play the one hardcore strategic advantage they HAVE over satellite: nearly unlimited bandwidth. They *could* carry every HD channel in existence... but for now, they don't, because they don't have to.

Personally, I think "the cable company" should be nothing more than a common carrier who owns and maintains fiber from their NAP to each home in the area -- allowing everyone -- Comcast, BellSouth, AOL, Mom & Pop's HD Cable Company, and maybe even Some Niche-Interest Single Channel -- to pay regulated rates for bandwidth and provide whatever service they specialize in.

I watched a Barcelona vs Malaga (I think) on GolTV on Comcast, geez I could barely see what the hell was going on, I really hope Voom21 gets added one day but nothing so far sounds very encouraging besides the one cable company, United something or other? that mentioned they might...

miamicanes said:
It's too bad cable competition hasn't taken off yet in the Miami area.

Tell me about it. I personally think it's going to get even worse now that they bought out adelphia. I have adelphia for now. I hate it. Some think comcast buying them out is a good thing. I'm not so sure it will be better for the customers. Comcast taking over adelphia's areas here will just solidify their monopoly.

Why are these monopolies allowed in the first place? They already put a stop to that with phone service. How long till it ends with cable?

I used to live in a market where Comcast had competition. I now live in a market where they don't. I liked things much better when they had competition.

miamicanes said:
If Comcast were forced to act like a competitor rather than a monopoly that gets a steady stream of customers by default, they'd likely play the one hardcore strategic advantage they HAVE over satellite: nearly unlimited bandwidth. They *could* carry every HD channel in existence... but for now, they don't, because they don't have to.

What is the basis for this statement?

I work for a small local cable company in connecticut, we currently have 9 HD channels in our lineup, we would like to carry more, but that is not possible because of bandwidth contraints.

there is no possible way to carry all of the HD channels over one cable, there simply is not enough room for it. a single 6mhz wide carrier can hold 2, possibly 3 HD signals, and there are only between 70-100 of those carriers on any cable plant (depending on type of plant).. sure, if you dont want to carry anything but HD, then it would handle up to 300, but that sure as hell wont happen.

Not with things like FCC mandated "Must-Carry" rules, or programming companies demanding that they be on analog to get more viewers (which analog is one channel = 6mhz)..

ultatryon, is it your opinion that satellite companies will be the way to go for consumers who want the most HD channels (due to bandwidth concerns)?

I work for a small local cable company in connecticut, we currently have 9 HD channels in our lineup, we would like to carry more, but that is not possible because of bandwidth contraints.

Cable's bandwidth constraints are largely self-imposed by a desire to avoid upgrading hardware, reinforced by a desire to pay as little for as few channels as customers will let them get away with. Having talked to the installers today, I confirmed that Comcast has bandwidth to burn, even taking their new video on demand service into account. And of course, if a cable company ran fiber from pod to curb, they'd have enough bandwidth to carry every last TV network on earth in 36mbit/sec 1080p60. Even with coax, cable company execs tend to forget that the RF spectrum doesn't abruptly end at 900mhz.

No. There is any chance Comcast will add Voom21 or Voom10. No way. They can't even add TNT-HD here in San Francisco on an 860mhz system. So forget that.

To me, it's simple. The copper wire in the ground has a maximum capacity and will cost oodles to take to each customer's doorstep. Wireless bandwidth continues to increase, and even the high cost (to we mere mortals) of launching satellites is cost-effective to, say, laying fiber to every door in America.

Yes, cable companies whine about must-carries and analog channels, and yes, they probably did deserve some return on their massive infrastructure investments over the past 30 years or so. But the world doesn't stand still. Your 30-year-old copper wire doesn't cut it any more, or won't soon. Either invest in the future (i.e., get busy laying fiber), or get run over by those who will.

As the saying goes, there are three kinds of people in this world: Those who make it happen, those who let it happen, and those who ask "what happened?"

I doubt it, in the earnings call today they said Dish now owns part of VOOM (that a controlling part though).

I would thing there is an exclusive deal out there for at least a little while.

Cable has no direct competition now as they control their lines but when Optical Fiber HD comes in competitive cable companies as well as phone companies can offer HDTV. Hope that day is not far off. My cable company just took over my phone line from Verizon to offer digital phone service for a fraction of the price. No new equipment needed except a modem upgrade and hookup.

ScottChez said:
I doubt it, in the earnings call today they said Dish now owns part of VOOM (that a controlling part though).

I would thing there is an exclusive deal out there for at least a little while.

I doubt Chuck Dolan would agree to an exclusive deal. The whole purpose of having Voom programming would be to get it to as many households as possible. That's the only way to make a profit from the salvaged venture.

I'm just biding my time with Comcast until Verizon comes out with their broadcast offering. They have the fiber in the ground in my neighborhood, and they're pushing the Internet service. I'm hoping they pick up the Voom 21 as part of their broadcast service!!

sbh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)