Any chance of a reliable E* HD STB in the near future?

CPanther95

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 25, 2004
Charlotte, NC
What are the odds that E* will have a reliable bug-free HD STB available. Reliable enough that you wouldn't regret converting your technicapped parents from trouble free D* equipment?

Are they destined to wait until MPEG4 to even have a shot at converting?

It depends on how they would use it. The 811 works fine if you don't use the OTA part (where all the bugs are). The 942 had gotten lots of positive feedback from owners.

NightRyder

OTA is critical.

For some perspective:
I got called over because the Caller ID stopped working on their Sammy 160. Menu/Caller ID/ON and it's fixed. :) ...and forget trouble shooting over the phone. The early Voom STB issues were a minor inconvenience for me, he'd have thrown it out the window.

I've learned getting him hooked on HD was easy (and there's no going back) getting him to tolerate "early adopter issues" will not be possible.

My 811 has been pretty stable, even with OTA DTV channels. My 921 HD PVR is a disaster. I hear that the newer 942 HD PVR is more stable. But quite frankly, I'm very disillusion with Dish's ability to put out reliable HD STBs. If this doesn't change when the MPEG4 boxes arrive, I'll definitely be leaving Dish by the end of the year if DirecTV can add addition national HD channels or my local cable company joins the current century.

My 811 was also good, I never had any real problems with it, OTA or otherwise, if you had the 6000 you would understand how much better the 811 is.

Have had my 811 for about a month now, changeout from a 6000 (packed it in), and thus far, it has performed superbly, both satellite, and OTA. It came with 285 uprgrade, and downloaded the 287 with no problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)