any chance of BEV in San Francisco area ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hariom

Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Hi,

I'm in San Jose (40 miles south of SFO). I was trying to get 82 and 91 with a dish 500 this weekend. I already have 110/119 installed at 153 azimuth. The azimuth for 82/91 should be 116 and elevation of 33.

When I was trying to aim for 82, I got 91 sat at about same azimuth as 110/119 and elevation of 41 deg or so. I'm using 301 receiver which says "Wrong sat expressvu 91" (which is fine as long as the sat is 91). I was tuning at transponder 11.

No matter how hard I try 82 or 91 in the 116 azimuth, I simply can't get it. Has anyone had success in tuning to 82 or 91 in SFO area ?

Thanks

Hariom

With a regular dish the BEV footprint ends at the Ariz/Nev-Calif border. I'm not sure if a BUD adapted for BEV world work.

Starchoice should be ok with a 75cm dish. I'm going to be setting up mine next week.

I was finally able to aim at 82 and 91 using Dish 500. I used Dish 301 receiver to scan the dish. I'm getting following transponders

Sat 82 - getting 02, 05, 06, 08, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 20 -- avg signal strength measured on 301 is between 65 and 70. All of these transponders lock.

Sat 91 - getting 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21 -- avg signal strength of 70-80 as measured on 301.

My question is with these signal strengths on 82, will I get usable feed ? Also, is there any way to get the missing transponders on 82 (starting odds are missing) ? I guess my elevation and azimuth is correct, but may be the dish 500 is small ?

Thanks
HO

you should be fine with a 65-70 signal.....until it rains

You could try a two dish system and use a larger dish for 82

With my current scan, I'm only getting a few channels (FOX, NBC, etc). I'm not getting HD movie channels. The signal is there but doesn't lock. Seems like the SNR is quite low to lock on the channel.

Is it possible to use superdish to lock on 82 and 91 using some sort of bracket ?

If anyone knows how to get BEV in our area it's Mike Kohl at Global Communications. Give him a call on Mon.

I wanted BEV before I decided on 2nd best (IMO) SC. I don't want the hassle and the bigger dish(es). I had BEV here a few years ago and loved it before they realigned their sats and we lost the good footprint.

Hariom,
I'm in SJ as well, and was receiving BEV just fine -- until they started switching transponders around. Then I'd drop some channels, while gaining others. I didn't mind much until they messed with RDS, which was the sole reason for getting BEV in the first place.

I'm in the midst of switching to SC (will post another thread on that), as they seem more willing to support Canadian customers living in the lower provinces.

Hariom,
I'm in SJ as well, and was receiving BEV just fine -- until they started switching transponders around. Then I'd drop some channels, while gaining others. I didn't mind much until they messed with RDS, which was the sole reason for getting BEV in the first place.

I'm in the midst of switching to SC (will post another thread on that), as they seem more willing to support Canadian customers living in the lower provinces.

Are you getting any of the HD movie channels ? I'm more interested in those. Seems like I have low SNR, so I can't lock the channel. The TP is getting locked, but not the channels. My PCI card needs a SNR of 65-70% and Signal quality of 70% to lock. I'm not getting that right now,

PCI Card?

Are you kidding me or what? Why are you using a PCI card to catch Nimiq birds? Are you implying yourself as a pirate? There's no need for a PCI Tuner for legit people. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts