Any chance of MLB Network on Dish Network?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ChiefIlliniwek

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Western Illinois
The brand-new MLB Network will be debuting in January, 2009 and I am excited about the prospect of watching this channel when it becomes available early next year.

This may likely become my favorite television channel in the future, since I am a huge MLB baseball fan.

I have not heard if the MLB Network will be offered on Dish Network. I've been generally content with Dish Network for the past nine years and I like the VIP622 DVR I've had since 2006, but I also intend to have access to the MLB Network when it debuts in January '09, one way or another.

Is there any realistic chance that Dish Network will be able to add the MLB Network before it's debut in January...or should I go ahead and plan to switch my service (Satellite only, rural area w/o cable access) to from Dish Network to DirectTV by the end of the year?

No MLB Extra Innings = No MLB Network
That's not how it went down. DIRECTV struck an exclusive agreement with MLB and there was much sabre rattling in Congress. They know that if they try to withold the channel, they'll face a dip in hot water.

MLB Network is/will be minority owned by DIRECTV as part of the original agreement that remains.

That's not how it went down. DIRECTV struck an exclusive agreement with MLB and there was much sabre rattling in Congress. They know that if they try to withold the channel, they'll face a dip in hot water.

MLB Network is/will be minority owned by DIRECTV as part of the original agreement that remains.

False, MLB tied the carriage of the Baseball channel to MLBEI. Directv and Indemande paid, DISH did not.

I watched the hearings and to my recollection Dish can add the Baseball channel when it launches-they just don't have access to the extra innings package. In order to get extra innings for this year and beyond dish had to GUARANTEE they would launch the baseball channel when it was ready. Since they did not agree to that dish got shut out of extra innings but they can still add the MLB channel. I would say they will not and will try to get some sort of compromise with baseball and direct on coverage of extra innings before they work a deal.

I have avoided any Dishin It Up deals for the past year in order to wait and see what happens with MLB Network. If E* doesn't have a deal in place by opening day 2009, I will be forced to switch to D*.

I watched the hearings and to my recollection Dish can add the Baseball channel when it launches-they just don't have access to the extra innings package. In order to get extra innings for this year and beyond dish had to GUARANTEE they would launch the baseball channel when it was ready. Since they did not agree to that dish got shut out of extra innings but they can still add the MLB channel. I would say they will not and will try to get some sort of compromise with baseball and direct on coverage of extra innings before they work a deal.

wasn't it something like Dish was willing to pony up their pro-rated share of what DirecTV was paying for MLB:EI but the sticking point was they Dish wouldn't get an ownership stake on the MLB channel while DirecTV (and maybe cable?) did

wasn't it something like Dish was willing to pony up their pro-rated share of what DirecTV was paying for MLB:EI but the sticking point was they Dish wouldn't get an ownership stake on the MLB channel while DirecTV (and maybe cable?) did

i believe that is also correct-dish came on strong late and then wanted ownership-congressional committee basically told them they should have acted sooner.
If you want the MLB badly you better jump to Direct--im gonna give dish till the start of the actual season and then if no deal im gone-im tired of all the stuff dish has been doing (Voom, etc). I've been holding out because i know there is equipment is better than Direct and i hate to switch but the handwriting is on the wall-if they lose the ATT deal i think they are heading for bankruptsy.