Any chance whole house DVR like U-verse

drjdan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Dallas, TX
ATT U-Verse just announced they are going to have whole house DVR by end of 2008 so any other TV's in the house can watch programs recorded on the DVR.

Any idea if Dish has this on drawing board and when will be available?

Last edited:
Well, Uverse is still in testing phase, but it looks promising so far and I'm excited for it...

Given how long ATT took to get this going and given the Dish software rollouts and my experience with dish and their promises and feature additions/rollouts, I can only speculate that it will happen "soon" :)

Well, Uverse is still in testing phase, but it looks promising so far and I'm excited for it...

Given how long ATT took to get this going and given the Dish software rollouts and my experience with dish and their promises and feature additions/rollouts, I can only speculate that it will happen "soon" :)

U-verse has been in my area for quite a while now and so far what I have seen is horrible.... I do at least 1 de-install/re-install a week for people that got talked into trying it for a month.... not to mention the people I keep getting telling me how they tried to get U-verse but the tech was there for 8 hours and couldn't get a strong enough signal to make the system work.... ATT already put a hiring freeze on U-verse techs in my area just a few months after they started the rollout and are laying some techs off.

Just heard today that they are starting to roll out to our New Connects to survey the ATT bundled customer's about their experience with us... I smell buyout coming :)

....and you haven't figured it out by now with all the Tivo mess... Dish has no problem "borrowing" other people's technology.... it must be in development already.

U-verse has been in my area for quite a while now and so far what I have seen is horrible.... I do at least 1 de-install/re-install a week for people that got talked into trying it for a month.... not to mention the people I keep getting telling me how they tried to get U-verse but the tech was there for 8 hours and couldn't get a strong enough signal to make the system work.... ATT already put a hiring freeze on U-verse techs in my area just a few months after they started the rollout and are laying some techs off.

Just heard today that they are starting to roll out to our New Connects to survey the ATT bundled customer's about their experience with us... I smell buyout coming :)

....and you haven't figured it out by now with all the Tivo mess... Dish has no problem "borrowing" other people's technology.... it must be in development already.

This isn't the forum to really discuss it, but all I can say is Uverse works great for me and everyone I personally know that has it... Lots of installs going on in my area.

I'm potentially moving to a FiOS area...they claim to have a whole house DVR, but...

1) SD settop boxes can't access HD recordings.
2) HD settop boxes can't access ANYTHING. It's incompatible.

What is the point? 80% of what I record is in HD. Right now, I feed my 622 all over my house through various methods and watch HD programming on SD tvs with no issues. But Verizon wants to rent you some kind of box for each TV, yet none of them let you watch HD programming from their "whole house DVR" (And it costs an extra $4 a month over the regular HD DVR!)

The AT&T whole house DVR isn't like a regular DVR. You can only watch what has been recorded. You can't do other DVR like things like Pause, Rewind Live television.

Dish can currently do 2 TV's where you have full DVR control at both TV's.

Yep, but the only drawback with dish 2 room solution is in the 2 room setup that I had, you cannot record and watch 2 live shows at the same time. Each provider and each setup has strength/weaknesses.

If anyone could provide more than 2 simultaneous recordings per dvr (yes, uverse can do 4 on 1 dvr at the same time), while providing full dvr functionality (pause, rewind, schedule recordings etc) on each stb or location we might finally have a truly complete product. Companies have talked about this for what seems like an eternity and everything so far is vapor unless I missed some ground breaking product out there.

Yep, but the only drawback with dish 2 room solution is in the 2 room setup that I had, you cannot record and watch 2 live shows at the same time. Each provider and each setup has strength/weaknesses.

If anyone could provide more than 2 simultaneous recordings per dvr (yes, uverse can do 4 on 1 dvr at the same time), while providing full dvr functionality (pause, rewind, schedule recordings etc) on each stb or location we might finally have a truly complete product. Companies have talked about this for what seems like an eternity and everything so far is vapor unless I missed some ground breaking product out there.

4 722s mirrored to every TV in the house could do this :p

The AT&T whole house DVR isn't like a regular DVR. You can only watch what has been recorded. You can't do other DVR like things like Pause, Rewind Live television.

Dish can currently do 2 TV's where you have full DVR control at both TV's.

Yeah, but Individual DVRs are cheap with UVerse (and they are HD), so it's cheap/easy to have a HD DVR at each TV that you can do that...and with their MVR solution you can easily playback what's recorded on any DVR at any TV (in HD).

With Dish, sure you can hook one DVR to two TVs but that 2nd TV only gets a SD/Analog feed and that's not going to fly for long with Bedroom HDTV's being cheap.

Tivo has MVR already for Cable, I'm pretty sure Comcast is about to announce their own MVR Solution (heard from a reliable source), D* has some customers testing MVR in the HR* DVRs, other cable companies have announce it....

so I think E* is going to need to come up with something soon imho.

Yeah, but Individual DVRs are cheap with UVerse (and they are HD), so it's cheap/easy to have a HD DVR at each TV that you can do that...and with their MVR solution you can easily playback what's recorded on any DVR at any TV (in HD).

With Dish, sure you can hook one DVR to two TVs but that 2nd TV only gets a SD/Analog feed and that's not going to fly for long with Bedroom HDTV's being cheap.

Tivo has MVR already for Cable, I'm pretty sure Comcast is about to announce their own MVR Solution (heard from a reliable source), D* has some customers testing MVR in the HR* DVRs, other cable companies have announce it....

I've thought of this before and don't imagine it would be terribly difficult to develop... however they might be waiting for a wireless solution (once they figure out how to make it cost effective and encrypt the signal so that it can't be leeched).... all you would need to develop is a small receiver with just a HD decoder and HDMI output for the second TV and instead of sending the analog Backfeed to TV2, send a duplicate digital signal from the main receiver to the TV2 decoder.... the tuners and hard drive could remain in the main receiver...

I have two 622's and one 722. They are all connect to my local network.

It would seem like a simple solution to allow each receiver to access the hard drive of the other receivers over the network just as the receiver can access a USB hard drive directly attached.

I have two 622's and one 722. They are all connect to my local network.

It would seem like a simple solution to allow each receiver to access the hard drive of the other receivers over the network just as the receiver can access a USB hard drive directly attached.

Yes but that wouldn't get you live TV in HD... you still need a HDMI port somewhere near the second TV....

Yes but that wouldn't get you live TV in HD... you still need a HDMI port somewhere near the second TV....

All of my DVR's are connected to HDTV's. I am only wanting the hard drive content on the other source DVR's to be played by the local DVR. I do not need the second TV function of the source DVR.

All of my DVR's are connected to HDTV's. I am only wanting the hard drive content on the other source DVR's to be played by the local DVR. I do not need the second TV function of the source DVR.

You can already do what you want with splitters then.... that was my mirror suggestion....

You can already do what you want with splitters then.... that was my mirror suggestion....

I dont think that's what he's asking for (yours is more like a remote/thin/dumb client)...He's asking for a Tivo Like solution where two Tivo's are networked together and the Bedroom Tivo can see the content of the Living Room Tivo (similar to a Network Drive) and play it's content locally (essentially by copying it on the fly). I believe that's what Uverise is doing (and D* will do, though not sure if they use the coax or Network cables)

I dont think that's what he's asking for (yours is more like a remote/thin/dumb client)...He's asking for a Tivo Like solution where two Tivo's are networked together and the Bedroom Tivo can see the content of the Living Room Tivo (similar to a Network Drive) and play it's content locally (essentially by copying it on the fly). I believe that's what Uverise is doing (and D* will do, though not sure if they use the coax or Network cables)

But you CAN do that..... just send the backfeed from each 722 to each other, on different modulated channels....

But you CAN do that..... just send the backfeed from each 722 to each other, on different modulated channels....

I know you can send the back feed and done that in test, but it is not HD.

I know you can use HDMI switches and string HDMI cable to do sharing,

The point is you already have a network cable running everywhere so why have to run some other cable when network is very able to do the job if Dish would just turn on the feature.

This is the same as businesses that are changing over to IP phone systems so only use one cabling system.

Whatever happened to the DP-777?

From Scott's post on 04-19-2005. Sorry can't link to the page with less than 15 posts to my user name. You'll have to search.

Where do you find UVerse cheap Individual DVR's?

Where you find Individual DVRs that are cheap for Uverse?
Thanks
Bruce

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)