Any decent HDTVs < $500?

There are vast differences between the panels and video processing. Zenith is LG's 2nd tier brand. When panels are manufacturered they are tested. The ones that operate best are graded "A", the next level "B" etc.

The lower tiers DON'T spend the money on A panels, nor do they spend it on excellent video processing chips. The Bose and Monster analagies don't hold water.

Bose and Monster are pushed by the retailers due to their HUGE profit margin.

The only mass marketed TV that is anywhere near that is Sony. Sony has a huge debt load and advertising budget to factor into the cost. Sony also gives retailers a higher margin, hence the ridiculously high prices.

I recommended Philips because if find a store selling TV's that use coax cables to distribute SD programming you can clearly see which sets have better video processing for SD material.

There are vast differences between the panels and video processing. Zenith is LG's 2nd tier brand. When panels are manufacturered they are tested. The ones that operate best are graded "A", the next level "B" etc.

The lower tiers DON'T spend the money on A panels, nor do they spend it on excellent video processing chips. The Bose and Monster analagies don't hold water.

Bose and Monster are pushed by the retailers due to their HUGE profit margin.

The only mass marketed TV that is anywhere near that is Sony. Sony has a huge debt load and advertising budget to factor into the cost. Sony also gives retailers a higher margin, hence the ridiculously high prices.

I recommended Philips because if find a store selling TV's that use coax cables to distribute SD programming you can clearly see which sets have better video processing for SD material.

I have owned a couple HDTV's at this point. The difference between my Insignia and My Sharp Aquos is night and day.

Don't buy cheep, Buy quality.

Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, Samsung, etc.

Buying cheap and inexpensive are 2 different things. You don't have to pay top dollar for good. You do for the best but as with my analogy of Monster and Bose the price does not equate to quality. Of course they are pushed because of profit margins. They are grossly overpriced and there are just as good or better at half the price.
In particular tier 1 snobbishness is no reason to discount both Olevia and Vizio. They may not be as good PQ wise as a top line Sony but the PQ is just as good as the entry level Sony/Samsung etc at a more affordable price. This from experience as an owner. If PQ as not acceptable they would have been returned because I am just as particular as most of you when it comes to my TV's.
Nothing wrong with getting the best of what you can afford. We do the Op a disservice when we don't give them options. I agree the 500 price point is to low for 32 inches but you don't have to pay a 1000 dollars either.

I have a entry lcd Samsung. The Vizio is no where close to this tv. I had the Vizio and took it back for the sammy. Olevia was my first hdtv. If this product has not changed in 3 years, I would stay away from this one too.

Vizio's are not bad. However, they lack many features of the more expensive brands. All HDTV's suck if they are not calibrated properly.

Avoid Polaroid and Ilo like the plague. Sceptre and Emprex are nothing to write home about either. I can't speak for Insignia and whatever that brand is that Circuit City sells.

Decent cheapies are Vizio, Olevia and Westinghouse. I have a refurb Westy 32" 768P LCD in my bedroom. The audio over HDMI goes in and out and it locks up with low bit rate OTA HD stuff. I bought a cheap receiver to solve the HDMI issue and watch OTA through my Dish receiver. As a result, this set isn't for everyone. The scaler is surpsingly decent.

Philips is a name brand that's cheap that I have mixed feelings about. Philips' LCD's have GOOD SD scaling but do weird things like automatically stretch SD imags horizontally and lack VGA/DVI ports for PC. Magnavox and RCA are also cheap familiar brands.

You will pay the most for any brand that starts with S--Sharp, Sony, Samsung. Also consider LG. Toshiba makes good midrange LCD's.

FTR, if I'm spending $1k for a display, I will get a rear projection or plasma. Both offer superior PQ to LCD's. Yes, I said it.

LCD's are cheap. Also consider a HD CRT since you said 32" is a good size. They are heavy and bulky, but blow everything other than the Pioneer and Fujitsu plasmas out of the water in terms of PQ.

LCD's are cheap. Also consider a HD CRT since you said 32" is a good size. They are heavy and bulky, but blow everything other than the Pioneer and Fujitsu plasmas out of the water in terms of PQ.

I'm with you allargon. Although a larger screen would be nice, I still have yet to see an LCD that matches the PQ of my 34" CRT Toshiba. This older technology also tends to be much more reliable. But that's not to say that if a million bucks fell into my lap, I wouldn't run out and buy a 52" Sony XBR LCD. I would choose that over one of the plasma's you mention as they tend to be energy hogs.

It is becoming difficult to find 32" HD CRTs. HD, as in at least 720 lines, and 16x9. Why would anyone want to be the last person to buy a CRT TV?

What features are they lacking?

Sophisticated noise reduction, faux surroud sound, superior upscaling, cable card support?, GOOD de-interlacing, 3:2 pulldown detection, natural number cadence multiples of 1080p24, etc.

The expensive brands often have traditional LCD problems like motion blur and banding. :eek:

Plasmas (reflections, burn-in) and DLP's (rainbows) aren't perfect either. However, he's not touching those for under $500 unless he gets a refurb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)