Any experience with the IceZapper® dish heater?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
In the time being you search for a Dish Heater you can try applying some RainX or a light layer of Pam. I've heard good results but not tried it myself.

Don't waste you time with either of them, particularly the Pam, it is too liquidy and will run right off the dish.

I have followed this thread and a couple of others each winter looking for solutions to clear my dish of snow. I live in Colorado and have signal strengths in high 70’s and 80’s, but if I get about a quarter inch on snow on the dish I loose HD signal. I use to use the hose with a high power nozzle to knock the snow off, but when it’s really coming down I have to do that about every 45 minutes – plus there is nothing worst than having to do that first thing in the morning. Didn’t want to use any other fluid than water so as not to introduce it into the water table or our dogs which have eaten stranger things. So I finally decided to try a dish heater. I went with the ice zapper 2, because it’s cheap ($69) and only use 120 watts (1 amp). It has two rectangular heating elements and attaches to the back of the dish.

Last night out first storm came in and I lost the signal when about a quarter inch of snow had stuck to the dish face. Plugged in the heater and got the signal back in less than 3 minutes. I got the model without the thermostat and just plan on turning it on when I need it. I plan on hooking it up to a plug with a switch inside so turn it on when needed, maybe a timer, but on days like today when it is going to come down all day the timer might be more of a pain that it worth. I have attached a couple of pics from this morning, we got about 3-4 inches of snow overnight and the temperature is right about 30 degrees. I am interested in seeing how it performs once the temperatures really drop, although at temps where I think it might have problems keeping the dish clear would be too cold to snow. Just wanted to relay my experience so far hoping it helps others dealing with this same problem.

Hope this helps.

Just curious, is the heater ON when you too the pictures ?

Yes, the heater was on in the pictures from before and I had just turned it off when I took the pic attached. I turned it on late Tuesday when we first lost the signal and have left it on until this afternoon (Thursday). The snow here has finally let up so I don’t we need it anymore, plus if we do all I have to do is turn it back on. The picture attached to this post is what the dish looked like when I turned it off. The total snow fall for this storm was about 17 inches here at the house and it started off as a pretty wet snow. The temps got down into the low 20s last night and we didn’t loose the signal and it was still there when we got up this morning with a fair amount of snow, wind and cold temps over the night. I have to admit that I am impressed with how it handled this round of snow. I checked the signal strength a couple of times during the storm event and the heater keep my readings in the 80’s to 70’s and a couple of high 60’s. The wife was also impressed on how well it worked which tells me that it did its job if she commented.

Attachments

• dish heater (Large).jpg
    dish heater (Large).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 194
Home made heater

I too (as engdork) live in Colorado with DirecTV. I was thinking about buying some electric heat tape (that is typically used to wrap pipes) and attaching it to the back of the dish, along the arm and around the LNB. I would connect it to a switched outlet with a timer. I figure I can buy all the parts for about $20-$30 plus my labor. Does anyone see any issues with using heat tape?

this may be a DUMB post.. forgive me!

but would Rain-X work if you apply this to the dish? Just asking as it is a thin slippery adhesive to keep water off. Just asking. probably a stupid dumb suggestion.

I live in Upstate New York with bitter cold winters and 200+ inches of snow each year and in the 10 years I've had DirecTV, I've never had a signal loss due to snow. In fact, I don't know of anybody who has a heater. As bad as it gets here, I know it can be worse where you live and I'm not doubting the need for heaters there, it's just that dish heaters seem to be pretty rare around here.

I live in Upstate New York with bitter cold winters and 200+ inches of snow each year and in the 10 years I've had DirecTV, I've never had a signal loss due to snow. In fact, I don't know of anybody who has a heater. As bad as it gets here, I know it can be worse where you live and I'm not doubting the need for heaters there, it's just that dish heaters seem to be pretty rare around here.
Very interesting. How old is your equipment? I read in an earlier thread, the older (3 LNB) equipment was less susceptible to snow effects than the newer (SWM LNB Slimline). I have only had DTV for about 15 months.

I have two dishes. The oldest one is maybe 7 year-old (replacement for damaged original) and the other was added when they started to carry the locals and that was about 3 years ago. Maybe the difference is with the Slimline, but since I don't have one I really can't say. If so, I'd be interested in knowing as I hope to go HD next year.

We don’t get near the snow as upstate New York which is why I got the model without the thermostat so I can turn it on when we need it (back up in the 60s all the rest of this week) – I think that my signal loss occurs more with the temps and snow type. If we are somewhat warm and get snow we get that heavy wet snow it loves to cling to the dish. If it has been cold and we get a dry snow I really don’t get enough buildup to cause a signal loss. We made the jump to HD (w/a slimline dish) when we moved into this new house and started experiencing signal loss with snow on the dish. At the old house (which is just about 2 miles away) we never had a problem but we also didn’t have the slimline and HD. It would be great to not have to deal with this, but I love my HD and the SlimeLine has been great except for occasional snow.

Another big bonus from having a heat system is when I am traveling for work and we get some snow the wife just has to turn it on, rather than me explaining how to spray off the dish with the hose that would be met with silence and then a comment about how much she really likes to read.

Vic49 – I thought about using the tape. When I was researching all of this I could really figure out how to attach the heat tape for the best results. I haven’t used heat tape in a while, but I don’t remember it getting as hot as the pads on the IZ - I plugged it in when I got it and was amazed how hot they got in under 30 secs. Which actually leads me to one worry that I have and it the connection between the dish and the pads, the pads come with a silicone type of application already on the pads and you just peel off the coated paper from the pad and stick it on the dish. As the heat is cycled on and off I wonder how the connection between the pads and dish will hold up. From what I have seen heat tape uses about 7-8 watts a foot while this might be enough power I think that you would still need to get the dish pretty taped up on the back. If you go the way of the heat tape I would like to hear about what you did and your results.

Well, I gotta say.... I started this thread by asking the question about a year ago and I only just now got around to ordering an IceZapper. All I can say is wow....!

For the price it can't be beat - it was around $76 shipped to my door, and $8 of that was shipping. It arrived the very next day, even though they said it might take two or three.

The overall quality looks fantastic and installation took 5 minutes, and I took my time!
I have zero doubt this unit will clear anything off the dish - it really heats up.

I even look up the 3M adhesive they used (the peel off was a 3M label with the tape number on it - "3M 300LSE"), this stuff is top notch. I was a little concerned about this and wondered if the adhesive would degrade over time with high temps. According to 3M, not so. In fact, it's good to upwards of 300 degrees and it actually bonds better when it heats up.

So far this looks like a really good purchase. Now I'm wishing I had done it sooner. Last year I had to climb up there twice.

I just installed it this week, we have a good amount of snow today and it has been working great, just looked at the dish, completely clear with the exception of some snow on the bottom and lnb pole. I bought the non-thermostat one connected to a plug with a switch inside so I can turn it on only when it is snowing.

i havent one ONE svc or my own dish get covered in snow... and we got a total of 16 in of snow... SlimLine dishes works better without.. however, if had the 18 in dish, then yah you got a problem if you cant reach the dish.

SL is the bomb.

couple things i want to discuss
i googled my problem and found this nice little thread.

my new setup was installed nov 08 when we moved into our new home: slimline 3 with swm, 1 HD-DVR, 1 HD

the first time the temp dropped below 0 degrees (F) i lost signal. there was no snow, no ice.
temp rose above 0degrees and the signal came back. my neighbors have DirectTV, one has HD, other doesnt. they never had a problem. i dealt with this for a couple more times then called DirectTV, they sent out a tech. it was warmer when he showed up so naturally i had signal. Tech said he replaced something, and this was a common occurance. well the next time it dropped below 0 it went out again. luckily last year we didnt have too much extremely cold weather spells, just a couple overnights. and with the DVR we saved a lot of shows and always had something to watch. during the summer we had many rainy, stormy, windy days, never lost a signal.
this winter is a different story. we are now 4 days straight below zero. and we do not have any new shows left to watch on the DVR. i finally called back DirectTV and they said they would send out a tech for $50. why the f**k should i pay to fix equipment that im LEASING and paying a service fee for, when its not my fault it aint weather proof? they issued this equipment and obviously know where i live. needless to say im a little pissed now and taking matters into my own hands. i went up to look at the dish and there was no snow on the dish, LNB or LNB arm. there is a little ice in the tiny recesses where the heads of the mounting bolts are countersunk. thats it.
well i got my torch out and started heating things up. first the dishface, melted out that little ice in the bolt crevices. warmed up the dish face. and then the LNB arm. then the LNB assembly which is metal on the side facing the dish so i warmed that up too. but not LNB receiver itself (white plastic hooded thingy). i go inside and WAHLAH! signal! i call the wife at work and tell her its fixed and she can watch her shows tonight (new episodes starting) but a couple hours later, its gone again. the weather today was absolutely pure sunshine, no wind, -5 degrees for a high. so basically once the dish cooled off it went out again. now the wife comes home from work and and shes pissed. so i say i'll just go out there and "reheat it" so she can watch her show. this time there was no ice in the bold recesses. but i heat up the dishface anyway and come down. nothing. so i head back up and heat the LNB assembly. instantly get signal. wife gets to watch second half of her show. (partial WIN in my book) but 30min later signal goes out again. now im typing to you guys to see what you think.
for me it is a temperature issue, not snow and ice. and its the LNB as far as i can tell. i dont know if my neighbor who has HD has the slimline SWM dish like me or not. but im guessing he doesnt. no onw i have ever talked to has had there dish go out like this. some do when it rains heavy but i dont. i think its an inferior equipment issue not meant to be used in this weather.

im not convinced a dish heater will work for me unless i can somehow attach it to the actual LNB assembly, and not damage,burn the white plastic receiver.

please reply with any thoughts (other than "you shouldnt really use a torch on a dish", it worked so shaddup)

couple things i want to discuss
i googled my problem and found this nice little thread.

my new setup was installed nov 08 when we moved into our new home: slimline 3 with swm, 1 HD-DVR, 1 HD

the first time the temp dropped below 0 degrees (F) i lost signal. there was no snow, no ice.
temp rose above 0degrees and the signal came back. my neighbors have DirectTV, one has HD, other doesnt. they never had a problem. i dealt with this for a couple more times then called DirectTV, they sent out a tech. it was warmer when he showed up so naturally i had signal. Tech said he replaced something, and this was a common occurance. well the next time it dropped below 0 it went out again. luckily last year we didnt have too much extremely cold weather spells, just a couple overnights. and with the DVR we saved a lot of shows and always had something to watch. during the summer we had many rainy, stormy, windy days, never lost a signal.
this winter is a different story. we are now 4 days straight below zero. and we do not have any new shows left to watch on the DVR. i finally called back DirectTV and they said they would send out a tech for $50. why the f**k should i pay to fix equipment that im LEASING and paying a service fee for, when its not my fault it aint weather proof? they issued this equipment and obviously know where i live. needless to say im a little pissed now and taking matters into my own hands. i went up to look at the dish and there was no snow on the dish, LNB or LNB arm. there is a little ice in the tiny recesses where the heads of the mounting bolts are countersunk. thats it.
well i got my torch out and started heating things up. first the dishface, melted out that little ice in the bolt crevices. warmed up the dish face. and then the LNB arm. then the LNB assembly which is metal on the side facing the dish so i warmed that up too. but not LNB receiver itself (white plastic hooded thingy). i go inside and WAHLAH! signal! i call the wife at work and tell her its fixed and she can watch her shows tonight (new episodes starting) but a couple hours later, its gone again. the weather today was absolutely pure sunshine, no wind, -5 degrees for a high. so basically once the dish cooled off it went out again. now the wife comes home from work and and shes pissed. so i say i'll just go out there and "reheat it" so she can watch her show. this time there was no ice in the bold recesses. but i heat up the dishface anyway and come down. nothing. so i head back up and heat the LNB assembly. instantly get signal. wife gets to watch second half of her show. (partial WIN in my book) but 30min later signal goes out again. now im typing to you guys to see what you think.
for me it is a temperature issue, not snow and ice. and its the LNB as far as i can tell. i dont know if my neighbor who has HD has the slimline SWM dish like me or not. but im guessing he doesnt. no onw i have ever talked to has had there dish go out like this. some do when it rains heavy but i dont. i think its an inferior equipment issue not meant to be used in this weather.

im not convinced a dish heater will work for me unless i can somehow attach it to the actual LNB assembly, and not damage,burn the white plastic receiver.

please reply with any thoughts (other than "you shouldnt really use a torch on a dish", it worked so shaddup)

Yep...bad LNB.....call DirecTV, they are aware of the issue and will replace it for you.

Yep...bad LNB.....call DirecTV, they are aware of the issue and will replace it for you.

Yup even today in a Memo they added a new Resolution code...

LNB SWM replaced/ Cold Weather

they told us to use that if it is cold related.

ive had several last week and going on this week.. 0 so far.

so is it standard to charge me $50 for "thier" problem:mad:

if you got protection plan, you wont have to pay.. if you dont have it, yes.

regardless what the problem is, 49.99.

sorry.

Like many other long-time DirecTv posters, I have never experienced the kind of problem that has occurred this year. We get snow every winter and I have always been able to get a picture back by hitting the reset button. This year, the techs at DirecTv act as if snow is a new phenomenon and satellite failure is to be expected. Last month, I got as $20. credit because I was without a picture for over 24 hours. Today, a new snow event and the same thing. This seems to be more of a problem with DirecTv than with simply bad weather, but I don't have the knowledge to even begin to guess at what could be going on.
I'm thinking of switching to FIOs...has anyone had experience with FIOs? Do you think that a dish heater would do the trick. Is there any kind of fire hazard plugging it in to something so exposed to the elements? Thanks.

Like many other long-time DirecTv posters, I have never experienced the kind of problem that has occurred this year. We get snow every winter and I have always been able to get a picture back by hitting the reset button. This year, the techs at DirecTv act as if snow is a new phenomenon and satellite failure is to be expected. Last month, I got as $20. credit because I was without a picture for over 24 hours. Today, a new snow event and the same thing. This seems to be more of a problem with DirecTv than with simply bad weather, but I don't have the knowledge to even begin to guess at what could be going on.
I'm thinking of switching to FIOs...has anyone had experience with FIOs? Do you think that a dish heater would do the trick. Is there any kind of fire hazard plugging it in to something so exposed to the elements? Thanks.

There is No Fire hazard using a dish heater.
Many have used them, there is a variety of them out there.
I talk about getting one every year, but never do, just go out and brush it off.

What do your signal strength numbers look like on a good day ?
Post them so we can see if it's simply a dish tweak situation.

We really need to know more about your set up.
Recvrs, dish set up, what kind, SWM, Slimline, Older ...
Multiswitchs in the system ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts