Any favorite breakfast fajita recipes out there ??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Per the thread title, I'm looking for anyone's ideas for making breakfast fajitas. I'll be serving these at our tailgate this week. Due to our limited available prep time I need to cook the ingredients in advance and bring them to the tailgate, preferrably hot so we don't have to take time to reheat everything.

Tentatively I'm thinking of having on hand: soft tortillas, shredded bacon, sausage, scrambled egg, shredded cheese, salsa, picata, taco sauce, sour cream, chopped onions, chopped mild peppers, pepper rings in various heats, and some "secret sauce" (mostly habanera). Tailgaters make their own from the above.

What else works well for you?

I'll probably serve Margaritas. What else goes well? (Beer, of course!)

Also - What's your preferred method of keeping stuff hot while in transit? I have one of those "silver cloth" insulated bags and also a reversible cooler/warmer chest (Peltier transducer type). I've never used it as a warmer however so I'm not sure how well that mode works; the cooler is OK but not great. I was thinking of preheating the chest, warming everything up Sat. AM, putting it into that insulated bag, then into the chest which will then run off my car's aux. power connection. It will be about an hour from when I leave the house until we can start eating.

TIA, and Happy Tailgating Season !!

Per the thread title, I'm looking for anyone's ideas for making breakfast fajitas. I'll be serving these at our tailgate this week. Due to our limited available prep time I need to cook the ingredients in advance and bring them to the tailgate, preferrably hot so we don't have to take time to reheat everything.

Tentatively I'm thinking of having on hand: soft tortillas, shredded bacon, sausage, scrambled egg, shredded cheese, salsa, picata, taco sauce, sour cream, chopped onions, chopped mild peppers, pepper rings in various heats, and some "secret sauce" (mostly habanera). Tailgaters make their own from the above.

What else works well for you?

I'll probably serve Margaritas. What else goes well? (Beer, of course!)

Also - What's your preferred method of keeping stuff hot while in transit? I have one of those "silver cloth" insulated bags and also a reversible cooler/warmer chest (Peltier transducer type). I've never used it as a warmer however so I'm not sure how well that mode works; the cooler is OK but not great. I was thinking of preheating the chest, warming everything up Sat. AM, putting it into that insulated bag, then into the chest which will then run off my car's aux. power connection. It will be about an hour from when I leave the house until we can start eating.

TIA, and Happy Tailgating Season !!

Will you be bringing a grill? I have a Weber Q I'll be bringing to heat up and/or cook my stuff on Sunday. Good idea with the breakfast burritos. That's a lot of ingredients to keep track of though.

I'm thinking of doing a variety of things including potato pancakes, sausages, wings, etc. I have a ton of mint from the garden I'm trying to use up, so Mojito's might be in order.

Weather's supposed to be beautiful on Sunday too. 75°F and sunny! Perfect!

Tks to both of you.

dfergie - I'm not familiar with chorizo (Spanish or Mexican smoked sausage of various types per Google results). Will I find it in the meats section or as a specialty item in the ethnic foods section?

HD MM - No grille this time, part of our dilemma. My buds and I - all Fraternity Brothers from 35 years ago! - take (scan) tickets at Beaver Stadium (PSU, "Happy Valley"). I'm now in my 17th season doing this, ever since PSU joined the Big 10/11; two of us are approaching 30 years! In exchange for about 1.75 hours pre-game "work" we get free admission and free parking - worth about $70 these days! - plus about $15 net pay per game, enough to cover the beer and some food. (Our seats are on the field in the south end zone, either the best or worst in the stadium depending on which end the action is on at any given moment!) The problem is with these noon kick-offs, we have to end our tailgating by about 9:45 AM, and the parking lots only open at 8 AM (and we don't get into our spaces until 8:30 at the earliest). So our pre-game tailgating time is severely compressed! For late PM or night games we go "Full Monty Gourmet" however, bring the complete chuckwagon with Coleman "RoadTrip" XLE grille, 20lb propane tank, boiler/steamer, etc. "Surf-n-Turf" is common when we have a couple of hours to prepare and enjoy it. We can "tailgate" like the best...when we have time...!

Mojitos is another idea - we have had them before from a bucket mix I found in the grocery store. Quick and easy. When we have the time, I bring my hand-crank blender and we put on quite a scene, making the likes of "ultimate bloody Marys" and "freezes", etc. from scratch ingredients...

Our game is Sat. - forecast is cool, damp, intermittent rain. Been there, done that...

Last edited:
OK - I'll look for it tonight while shopping. Might replace the reg. sausage I planned with this variety.

Tks again...

(Brats and kraut is another favorite of ours - we grille both...!)

Make sure you get RAW, Mexican chorizo...not the dried, Spanish kind. Totally different flavor. The Spanich kind will not do well on a breakfast taco.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)