Any fix for the Ch 1 problem with the 811 on the horizon?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Forward

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
Like others, I'm in an area where one of my local digital stations (a very important one from a programming standpoint) remaps to channel 1. With channel 1 reserved for the rear panel inputs on the 811, I can't get it.

I know this was raised last week by someone but I didn't see any further information. Does anyone know whether a fix is coming?

I have reported this problem as well, they need to move the rear input selection in the guide to its own standalone item. And leave channel one in the guide as channel one, not a set of rear inputs. You have to wonder which engineer thought they could get away with that without trying to determine whether some channels actually re-map there, whether they should not is perhaps another question.

I would say that the broadcaster is responsible for this problem

Doesn't the PSIP guidelines require broadcasters to remap to their primary channel number; and if they don't they must stay on their digital broadcast channel?

In other words, the stations mapping to 1-01 are in violation of the PSIP guidelines.

See this link for all the pertinent information.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3992&start=10

normang said:
I have reported this problem as well, they need to move the rear input selection in the guide to its own standalone item. And leave channel one in the guide as channel one, not a set of rear inputs. You have to wonder which engineer thought they could get away with that without trying to determine whether some channels actually re-map there, whether they should not is perhaps another question.
Stations who are mapping to Channel 1 are violating the standard. OTA DTV only stations are required to use their ATSC channel number, OTA DTVs with a NTSC counterpart are required to use their NTSC channel number. ATSC standards can be found at atsc.org.

IMHO channels should be fined for not following the standard. What if two stations in a market both mapped to channel 1? Neither are following a required part of the standard, so who wins? I would hope that broadcasters would not be that stupid or arrogant, but if the FCC needs to step in and enforce the existing requirement to follow the ATSC standard on their DTV channels they will.

E* should fix their receivers to work around this improper behaviour by the broadcaster. They are handling the error poorly. But the blame really rests with the arrogant broadcaster mapping to a channel that is not theirs. File an informal complaint to the FCC.

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)