Status
Please reply by conversation.

vegassatellite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Now that I've blown through the acronyms......

I was looking at the NFusion and it looks like a pretty cool box with its auto-update feature via an internet connection. However, it looks like its internet functionality is limited to just updates. Are there any FTA boxes that can also look for IPTV channels on the internet and tune those as well? Seems like that would be the true FTAer's dream right there!

Not sure about IPTV, but most auto update features on receivers are used for hacking purposes. The feature, of course, could be used for more "honorable" purposes, but that would require support (from the true FTA community, a relatively small percentage of the overall user base)...

I've got a bit of an idea of what could be done if the efforts of the eye patch gang were put into other things. Could you imagine the kind of boxes we would have?

But then, that could be said about anyone, about anything.

I'm guessing a HTPC would be a good solution for FTA/IPTV purposes. You can enable internet connectivity with an FTA card installed. Never tried it but I imagine it could work.

I'm guessing a HTPC would be a good solution for FTA/IPTV purposes. You can enable internet connectivity with an FTA card installed. Never tried it but I imagine it could work.

I guess I could go with something like that, but I'm not inclined to watch any TV on a computer. If I could do something like put the computer in a closet and have it run out to a modulator for distribution by using an AV out card, that might work for me.

yes, HTPC-type solution is the way to go. Lock the signal with a PCI computer card, process it on the PC, and output it to a modulator for distribution throughout the house or to TV so you can watch it on a tv set from your comfy chair.

Status
Please reply by conversation.