Any information about YES Network?

codton

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Waterford, CT
I have DISH here in CT and I have waited... and waited... and waited for DISH to pick up YES. Does anyone know the status of that? I never hear about any negotiations taking place, and I wonder why D* has had it forever, in HD to boot, (as well as my local cable company), but not DISH. Is there some contract the Yankees have with D* that prevents DISH from getting it?

I am a passionate Red Sox fan who would never have any television service without NESN, and so I bet there must be tens of thousands of Yankee fans in the tri-state CT-NY-NJ area that feel the same way about YES, and so they don't have DISH. Doesn't DISH know this? What's the deal? Any info anyone?

damn...we're starting these threads earlier each year huh?

nothing new.....no yes network on Dish right now and probably never

Sorry Ice buddy, but Yankee fans are allover the northeast and we can't understand the would't want to try and take some D subs and make them E by adding the one channel people want.

Just look up the YES Network on Wikipedia or search it on Google along with DISH Network and you'll see what he means. Unless I'm wrong, it all has to do with fees the network charges and what DISH Network wants to accept or make it's subscribers pay (as it would likely raise the rates for everybody). Plus, it wouldn't help you much unless you're in the territory that the Yankees are broadcast in where you will not be blacked out unless you decided to "move" to that area or subscribe to the Multi-Sport pack (where you wouldn't see the whole game but, it's likely you'd catch an inning or two at the end of the game or maybe more depending on whether or not the game was delayed, etc).

All of that still puts us back at the point Iceberg made, though: It just isn't available yet and the odds of getting it look slim from everything you can find related to the subject.

I'm also willing to guess that if you have the Multi-Sport pack and are in the Yankees home territory, you would still pick up most of the games on the other teams FSN. I'm not sure how this would work with the Blue Jays as Rogers Sports Net is not on DISH Network. I know that most everybody would prefer to listen to home announcers during the course of a game, but I've never come across any other team announcers that have made me feel offended with any remarks about my home team.

Sorry Ice buddy, but Yankee fans are allover the northeast...
Tell YES Network that. They want national carriage, not regional. National, of course, means more $$$ per customer than they'd get from regional carriage. Just like most people outside of the Midwest don't care about the Big 10 Network, most people outside of the greater NY area don't care about NY regional sports.

Just look up the YES Network on Wikipedia or search it on Google along with DISH Network and you'll see what he means. Unless I'm wrong, it all has to do with fees the network charges and what DISH Network wants to accept or make it's subscribers pay (as it would likely raise the rates for everybody). Plus, it wouldn't help you much unless you're in the territory that the Yankees are broadcast in where you will not be blacked out unless you decided to "move" to that area or subscribe to the Multi-Sport pack (where you wouldn't see the whole game but, it's likely you'd catch an inning or two at the end of the game or maybe more depending on whether or not the game was delayed, etc).

All of that still puts us back at the point Iceberg made, though: It just isn't available yet and the odds of getting it look slim from everything you can find related to the subject.
Welllllllllll Back when E* carried MLB extra innings they COULD NOT show any YES feed games because they did not carry the network..So by carrying the network they could have eleminated this issue

I think he's suggesting that you could still see the Yankees game but it would not be on the YES network and would be with different announcers. Hell, I was an Indians fan when they were terrible and, even then, could not remember ever hearing a different set of broadcasters say anything that offended me. I'm with him (and Iceberg) - just purchase the Multi-Sport back and watch the Yankees game on the rival network if you are within their viewing territory. I'm out of the Indians market now but usually catch an inning or two every night with the Multi Sport during baseball season.

I wonder if we'll ever see Rogers added as a network on DISH? I'm not sure if it would fit under the International package or maybe the Multi-Sport but I think it would be a welcomed addition in some circles.

I'm also willing to guess that if you have the Multi-Sport pack and are in the Yankees home territory, you would still pick up most of the games on the other teams FSN. I

Nope those games are blacked out except for the local region they are meant to serve.

With multisport all pro sports and some college sports are blocked outside of the area the RSN serves.

I just purchase the Multi-Sport back and watch the Yankees game on the rival network if you are within their viewing territory. I'm out of the Indians market now but usually catch an inning or two every night with the Multi Sport during baseball season.

You might catch an inning or two. but most times the games don't exceed the blackout window.

I have DISH here in CT and I have waited... and waited... and waited for DISH to pick up YES. Does anyone know the status of that? I never hear about any negotiations taking place, and I wonder why D* has had it forever, in HD to boot, (as well as my local cable company), but not DISH. Is there some contract the Yankees have with D* that prevents DISH from getting it?

I am a passionate Red Sox fan who would never have any television service without NESN, and so I bet there must be tens of thousands of Yankee fans in the tri-state CT-NY-NJ area that feel the same way about YES, and so they don't have DISH. Doesn't DISH know this? What's the deal? Any info anyone?
here's the deal George wants YES to be a basic tier channel Charlie says it isn't. George wants like $3.00 per sub, Charlie says that's too much. George called Charlie and a$$hole and Charlie thinks George is an even bigger a$$hole. As long as George owns the YES network and the Yankees, Charlie would not put his channel on Dish even if it cost him one of his own kids. Does Charlie have kids? Ok his private jet.
All kidding aside, I made this up but it probably isn't far feteched. The bottom line is ,If you want YES ,go to Directv or your local cable company. But not Cablevision.

here's the deal George wants YES to be a basic tier channel Charlie says it isn't. George wants like $3.00 per sub, Charlie says that's too much.
I said this about the Big 10 Network and it probably applies here just as well. YES wants "x" dollars from a cable or satellite company. They'll go on a higher tier, but then they want higher per customer rates. If they get on a lower tier, they'll take less per customer. As long as the multiplication ends up at "x", they're happy.

The one downside to a network of going on a higher tier is less viewers, which in turn means less $$$ per minute for commercials.

At this point in time, the argument for E* to carry YES grows weaker and weaker. They've already lost all of the rabid Yankee fans. Then they lost the rabid baseball fans by not carrying MLB:EI.

So now the cost to carry YES in terms of the number of E* customers that really want it, is very high.

Unless YES makes a dramatic change to their pricing structure, I can't see E* making the jump now.

At this point in time, the argument for E* to carry YES grows weaker and weaker. They've already lost all of the rabid Yankee fans. Then they lost the rabid baseball fans by not carrying MLB:EI.

So now the cost to carry YES in terms of the number of E* customers that really want it, is very high.

Unless YES makes a dramatic change to their pricing structure, I can't see E* making the jump now.

I tend to agree with your argument. And I don't see any scenario where YES would lower its rates for DISH, they would then have to re-negotiate with the multitude of other providers in the tri-state area already carrying the channel - and since YES is the highest rated RSN in the country, the odds of this are between slim and none.

One caveat - the situation could very well change after the AT&T purchase - should that happen. Just considering the rivalry with them and Verizon, and since FiOS is available in a good part of this area (and carries YES and YES-HD), I think they would go for it.

I said this about the Big 10 Network and it probably applies here just as well. YES wants "x" dollars from a cable or satellite company. They'll go on a higher tier, but then they want higher per customer rates. If they get on a lower tier, they'll take less per customer. As long as the multiplication ends up at "x", they're happy.

The one downside to a network of going on a higher tier is less viewers, which in turn means less $$$ per minute for commercials.
This one is personal. At least that is what I heard thru the grapevine. And my assertion seems to be highly feasable given the fact that YES has been around for at least 4 years and not a peep about the service getting on the Dish lineup. BTW YES is not on Cablevision either Cablevision is the largest MSO in the NY mtero area with about 3 million customers.

This one is personal. At least that is what I heard thru the grapevine. And my assertion seems to be highly feasable given the fact that YES has been around for at least 4 years and not a peep about the service getting on the Dish lineup. BTW YES is not on Cablevision either Cablevision is the largest MSO in the NY mtero area with about 3 million customers.
ummm thats not true Political pressure forced cablevision to carry the channel a couple years ago

ummm thats not true Political pressure forced cablevision to carry the channel a couple years ago
Yep..Just checked .It's there...Tell me, what kind of political pressure?
Also, are you in agreement that it will be a long wait for Yankee fans that are interetsted in Dish?