any installers know how to pass red x's ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

no85limit

Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
hey im 5 year installer for directv and wanted to know if anyone knows how to pass the installation verification when activating new recievers without calling in to get a waiver?....certain batches of kaku 5 LNB's we get read low and dont read high enough signal to pass the 85 percent threshold needed to pass 99 and 103 .... anybody have any pointers on this ? please dont respond with " work on your dithering skills" this is a equipment issue and not installer issue...but when your in a bind would like to know how to pass the red x's if its at all possible ....

There is no way to get past it without getting better signals or getting a waiver. One thing you may try if you are close but a few points off, is move the rec outside to the dish, hook it up temp with a super short wire run, and after it is activated move it back.
Other thing you may consider is if you have an lnb you know to be good, keep it on the truck for situations like this..
That sucks you have defective lnb's. I've been fortunately to have never had an lnb fail installation verification.
Btw, you will get more responses if you ask this in the Installers Only forum here.

I have often come across situations like this, what I did a few times was this,

say for example you are getting 99 X on odds, then go to that transponder that is reading low for example say 77%... go to signal meter, get the customer on the phone and have them read every number as it moves up or down.

you get on the roof or whereever the dish, and move it slow, once she or he says 85 or better, stop. then go inside and check other signals, then do a verifying installation test.

if this doesnt work even with good signal, then you may have a bad LNB or bad reflector. make sure its plumbed!

i have occasionally done this when i cant pass a certain satellite on even or odd, this is pretty effective without having to be a headache to run a recievr outside with you with no tv.

ive had best of luck doing it that way when im in and out trying to lock it in, but having the customer read the exact numbers for you while youre fine tuning the dish trying to get better signal. it blows when our birddogs dont read 99 and 103s as AIM and Superbuddy does and sucks our office wont invest money in getting those satellite finders to make our job easier when it comes to 99 and 103 satellite.

its like a directv tech trying to tune in a Dish Network dish with no dish set up in ur birddog.

There is a way to bypass it but it is just a temporary fix. Its better to get it to pass right the first time. If you know you have some lnbs that are reading low, keep one that reads accurate in you truck and test all recievers then swap it back out for the ones that read low.

I saw this crap on the horizon. False positives and false negatives..... because the eq has quite a deviation. So you screw around with bypass tricks instead of actually improving anything.
The thought of calling somebody in India (or Utah) to get a waiver for broken eq from China so that the customer can watch commercial interruptions from LA just make me crazy.

Joe

Every now and then I'll get 1 that won't pass no matter how much you dither, either the odd or even on 99 or 103. I'll have 1 transponder barely below 85 and the rest above. This is how I deal with it.
If it's a swm I'll swap it out for a 4 wire head & run temp lines if needed. Once in place go to receivers and select 18' round & let it run through setup completely to completion code. Swap everything back to swm equipment and repeat sat setup and your good to go.
This process is a pain in the butt, but sometimes you just don't have a choice.

*When you swap back to swm it will still fail, BUT, you will have a "continue" option that will let it go on through.

Last edited:
check your reflectors, depending on how you store them (when I ran in my truck i had open boxes) and they got bent, you cant tell my looking at them, but if its bent just a lil, itll fail. I keep them in the cases now and throw the box away when i went through all 4.

what has worked for me in that situation is either have the customer read u the signals as u slowly turn the dithering pins, i also have ran into that ur tilt was off just a little bit, sometime those factory presets are arnt right and by just barely adjusting your tilt wil get u the signals u need to pass IV, the threshold is 90 and up...

what has worked for me in that situation is either have the customer read u the signals as u slowly turn the dithering pins, i also have ran into that ur tilt was off just a little bit, sometime those factory presets are arnt right and by just barely adjusting your tilt wil get u the signals u need to pass IV, the threshold is 90 and up...

Preset???? i ddint know they were preset.. wait... arent the dishes have to be put together? how is that preset?

90 or better? fail... its 85% or better to pass the test. But you do want your signals to be 90% or better in general but we're talking about the test, it has to be 85% or better to even pass the Installation Test.

yes the dishes have to be put together but there is a factory preset on the tilt, in my area the tilt is 60, sometimes putting the tilt right at 60 will not get you the right numbers u need to pass IV ( installation verification), adjusting the tilt to just a little bit can bring your numbers higher that's what was told to me from ISS and i have tried it several times and it will bring your numbers higher on a few transponders to pass. it is not 85% or better to pass the transponders on the 99 and 103 have to be above 90% to pass IV. A feww weeks ago i was at an upgrade and after dithering correctly i had one transponder on the 103 even that was at 89% and it would not budge one bit, the 103 even failed i called ISS they said every transponder had to be a 90% or better. But again your area may be different from my area.

it's simple

Um, guys

All you do is activate the receiver with the #1 (101 only) dish slected.

Then go back & select a dish with 99 /103. You'll still get red boxes but the channels come in.

You'll need to do a reset to get the right guide DL. :up

Um, guys

All you do is activate the receiver with the #1 (101 only) dish slected.

Then go back & select a dish with 99 /103. You'll still get red boxes but the channels come in.

You'll need to do a reset to get the right guide DL. :up

Um, Dave...

i tried doing that once.. but when it goes to Detecting Satellite Setup, it will still give error bc it will detect 99 and 103 or if you have the SL5 110, 119 99 and 103.... so either way it will red box you and you cant move on to the next step.

Directv did this on purpose to reduce the serivce calls so you do it right the first time and pass that test so the signal is at least 85% or better regardless...

Um, Dave...

i tried doing that once.. but when it goes to Detecting Satellite Setup, it will still give error bc it will detect 99 and 103 or if you have the SL5 110, 119 99 and 103.... so either way it will red box you and you cant move on to the next step.

Directv did this on purpose to reduce the serivce calls so you do it right the first time and pass that test so the signal is at least 85% or better regardless...

I don't go to detecting.

hey im 5 year installer for directv and wanted to know if anyone knows how to pass the installation verification when activating new recievers without calling in to get a waiver?....certain batches of kaku 5 LNB's we get read low and dont read high enough signal to pass the 85 percent threshold needed to pass 99 and 103 .... anybody have any pointers on this ? please dont respond with " work on your dithering skills" this is a equipment issue and not installer issue...but when your in a bind would like to know how to pass the red x's if its at all possible ....
\

ive read some of the other post & agree with most ... lnb switches .. activate at the dish ... .... some of these are only temp like they say ...you are trying to beat dtv integreity....

sometimes you can on a dvr only attach one line at a time & get it to work ... if you have one line that worh better ... you can move each recvr to that line for completion....

the other thing you can do is activate all your recvrs at shop before you install ...then they have all passed the test ...just have to hook the up at the site...

the other thing you can do is activate all your recvrs at shop before you install ...then they have all passed the test ...just have to hook the up at the site...

Are you seriously doing this? wtf happens when you have no lines, or reschedules?

Are you seriously doing this? wtf happens when you have no lines, or reschedules?

I have to agree with dave here. what if you get no line of sight, or decides they want to cancel. once you activate it, its in that customer's name and if had it been a NOL, you just activated their account and they are now have to pay for your dumb sh*t.

does YOUR supervisor know you do this? if he does and suggest it, obviously your office is a looney tune office.

If it's an HR-22 100 your going to have problems with the download because for some reason the IRD requires that you have 150 ft of cable between odu and IRD, theres a way to bypass it with a SWM splitter behind the IRD but cant remember exactly how to do it. anyone want to jump in?!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)