any luck with HD locals using Indoor Antenna

I think locals in HD are a major waste of bandwidth. Dish should provide, and the FCC should allow Dish reception of all Networks in HD if a person can't receive with an antenna such as the silver sensor. Most people want the networks stuff and have no reason to watch their local stuff in HD. The only thing we watch on local is the news, and I could care less if it's in HD. But CSI in HD is WOW !!!!!!!!!

i have an rca amplified indoor antenna which is about 5 years old that picked up 8 locals for me. the only bad thing is i have to stick it into the bathroom window to get signal.

RocketMan said:
I'm in Houston, in the shadow of the Huntingdon (San Felipe and Kirby). I get all the local HD's with an RCA ANT1250 from Best Buy. Seems like it was $45. With Voom's Winegard on the roof, I almost never got Paramount 20 and seldom Fox 26. But with the little amplified rabbit ears that could, I get all of them at high signal strength with no adjustment needed for different channels. To accomplish that, I added an extension coax and put the antenna on top of the curtain rods above my northern windows. Haven't touched it since Voom went off the air. PBSHD with this antenna is what convinced me to try Voom in the first place, which led to addiction, which led to the 942 that arrived today. On Saturday, with a little luck, the Waiting for Godot will finally be over.
:clap :clap :clap

Hi....im on Dunlavy right off Allen Parkway. I ordered the silver sensor last night...so it should arrive next week.. still havent decided on a dish provider yet. Basically the locals in HD is my major concern... like someone said...getting THEIR HD programming isnt the issue...most of it sucks anyways...but locals in HD is what everyone wants. Im 3rd floor of a 3 floor apt complex.

I'm using a RCA indoor amplified antenna ($30 from Wal-Mart), and I am getting DTV channels from 60+ miles away. Of course I can't get every channel possible, however, the ones that I do get most of them range from 75-90+% signal strength I am able to get CBS, NBC, FOX (from Tulsa and OKC) PBS (from Tulsa and OKC) WB, Pax (from Tulsa and OKC) TBN and a independent channel. What is funny, is that I am only 40 or so miles from Tulsa, yet I can't get CBS, ABC, UPN, or NBC from that city. And I can't get ABC from OKC either which would be nice (the one from Tulsa would be better for me since I am closer to Tulsa), but I am happy without it!!

David said:
Here's the link that I first went to that has led to my confusion: http://www.zenith.com/sub_prod/product_Display.asp?cat=49&id=131

that confused me also...but it says "Highly Directional
High front-to-back ratio helps reject unwanted multi-path signal corruption. This ensures densely populated urban areas receive clear HDTV and data broadcasting signals" and then with amazon saying the same thing(along with everyone here) it seemed like a worthy $26 investment.

Check with your stations, most are DT in UHF. Just because their channel xx, doesn't mean they are transmitting on xx.

"However, a vital difference between systems is the broadcast frequency range that the system uses to transmit. Two ranges, specified and regulated by the Federal Communications Commission, exist: VHF and UHF. You'll notice that UHF systems tend to cost more than VHF units. Here's the difference between the two, and why one might be more applicable to your needs over the other.

The second high-band VHF region, 174-216MHz, is designated for broadcast and commercial film/video production. Primary users of this band are television channels 7-13. High quality audio is possible, transmission losses are minimal, and acceptable antenna sizes are possible. Interference from other users and general RFI exists, but it is much less likely than for low-band frequencies. In addition, there are ample frequencies available (mainly locally unused television channels) in almost any part of the US."

kcromeis said:
I live in an apt so attaching an OTA is impossible for me. Has anyone had any luck with any of the 1000 indoor antennas?

thanks.

In Houston the TV transmission towers are located in Missouri City, so you will need clear line of sight in that direction. I live in south Pasadena and have excellent reception using an amplified rabbit ear/loop combination that sits next to my TV. PBS (channel 8) is the only VHF channel and the only one I ever see issues on.

kcromeis said:
thanks for the help..ill have to try it. basically getting locals in HD is my deciding factor in which provider i go with. If i can get them for this way Ill go with DishNet. I live in Downtown Houston and would be using a HD receiver...so im not sure if that has any negative effects on whether i can receive said channels.
Unfortunately Dish does not provide locals in HD. I have a 942 and I am using OTA/antenna provided by voom to get my locals in HD.

RobbinM said:
In Houston the TV transmission towers are located in Missouri City, so you will need clear line of sight in that direction. I live in south Pasadena and have excellent reception using an amplified rabbit ear/loop combination that sits next to my TV. PBS (channel 8) is the only VHF channel and the only one I ever see issues on.

i live Dunlavy and Allen Parkway. antennaweb says im 14-15miles from all major networks

I can pick everything up with my SS. Only problem. I'm in the middle of San Diego metro; HD channels come from three different towers (10-12 miles away), so I'm contantly having to repoint, which makes channel surfing impossible. I added HD cable to aliviate some of the hassle.

David said:
I looked at the Silver Sensor on the web and it indicated that this product was for UHF reception only. What am I missing?
You're missing not having a Silver sensor. Get it. It's less than $30. You can't go wrong. Very few DT stations are VHF. Pay no attention to the 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, etc. Those are "aliases". The actual frequencies are usually UHF. Plus, the SS picks up high VHF just fine. My local 11.1 is actually broadcast on channel 12. Not only do I receive it fine on this UHF antenna, it's about 180 degrees in the opposite direction, as well. The SS is outfriggintanding.

Based on all the testimonials, it looks like the Silver Sensor is the way to go for an indoor antenna. Has anyone had any luck with the outside antennas that hook directly to the dish? I live about 25 miles from transmission towers and wonder if I would have better luck with the antenna outside...

GaryPen said:
You're missing not having a Silver sensor. Get it. It's less than $30. You can't go wrong. Very few DT stations are VHF. Pay no attention to the 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, etc. Those are "aliases". The actual frequencies are usually UHF. Plus, the SS picks up high VHF just fine. My local 11.1 is actually broadcast on channel 12. Not only do I receive it fine on this UHF antenna, it's about 180 degrees in the opposite direction, as well. The SS is outfriggintanding.
Silver Sensor is good for what it is. What it ISN'T, is a VHF antenna. Try getting 2-7 (7 is the digital assignment for the ABC station in OKC), and you'll find out.

But it IS outfriggnstandin' as a UHF antenna.

David said:
Based on all the testimonials, it looks like the Silver Sensor is the way to go for an indoor antenna. Has anyone had any luck with the outside antennas that hook directly to the dish? I live about 25 miles from transmission towers and wonder if I would have better luck with the antenna outside...
As for outdoor models:
Channel Master 4228 has an excellent rep, and is probably the most popular.
http://www.channelmaster.com/home.htm
Winegard SquareShooter has a decent rep, as well. Somewhat pricey, but small and decent looking.
http://www.winegard.com/offair/squareshooter.htm
Winegard also has a new indoor VHF/UHF model. I haven't heard any user reviews on it. But, Winegard is a very well respected company, unlike Terk for instance.
http://www.winegard.com/offair/sharpshooter.htm

GaryPen said:
As for outdoor models:
Channel Master 4228 has an excellent rep, and is probably the most popular.
http://www.channelmaster.com/home.htm
Winegard SquareShooter has a decent rep, as well. Somewhat pricey, but small and decent looking.
http://www.winegard.com/offair/squareshooter.htm
Winegard also has a new indoor VHF/UHF model. I haven't heard any user reviews on it. But, Winegard is a very well respected company, unlike Terk for instance.
http://www.winegard.com/offair/sharpshooter.htm

Thanks for taking the time to give me some good info...I dedicate my good reception to you...

kcromeis said:
Hi....im on Dunlavy right off Allen Parkway. I ordered the silver sensor last night...so it should arrive next week.. still havent decided on a dish provider yet. Basically the locals in HD is my major concern... like someone said...getting THEIR HD programming isnt the issue...most of it sucks anyways...but locals in HD is what everyone wants. Im 3rd floor of a 3 floor apt complex.

Must be Allen House. Do they allow satellite dishes? You should have no problem getting all the local HD channels on the 3rd floor. The GE Optima is also a good choice. If you don't like what you see with the antenna connected directly, get a coax extension cable so you can move it wherever you need to in order to get the best picture. I don't have to touch mine to get all of them at high signal strength.

The only local I watch a lot is PBSHD. Most of the HD shows on the major networks (except sports) are so filtered at the camera that they barely look like HD. Preserves the illusion that stars have magically perfect complexions, but tune in to some of the Voom HD channels or HBO/SHO HD and you won't believe the difference. Can't wait to see Spanish Soccer again in 16x9 HD on RUSH. :bounce

sprintcarcrazy said:
I have 3 of the Zenith Silver Sensor antennas, two inside, one in attic, attached to 811's and 921. I am 25 to 40 miles and can pick up ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX. You may have to move it around, they are great antennas, but look like a toy. About $20 online

http://vss-electronics.com/zhdtv1.html

I work in broadcasting and use that antenna in my office to pick up all the digitals. Great (toy-looking) antenna.

At home, I first picked up transmissions with a 10" piece of wire stuck in the receiver 15 miles from the antenna farm. I now use a roof antenna, however.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)