Any news on CSN-Philly coming to DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
JUCJ85 said:
Wouldn't this CSN Philly debate only matter to those mainly in Philly, and how would it affect pricing wise for non phily subs?

Dish and Direct have national pricing not regional pricing. So if this forced package price changes, it would affect subscribers nationwide.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

NGeorge said:
Well, if DirecTV wanted to get smart about this, why don't they play Comcast's own game when it comes renewal time for the ROOT networks... e.g. Root Sports Northwest, which is owned by DirecTV? As in if Comcast wants to carry Root in Seattle for less than $5 per sub, they offer CSN in Philly to D* for a reasonable fee... There has to be a way to leverage the carriage of the others RSNs. Either Comcast stops carrying the Root networks and keeps Philly--and D* picks up a bunch of subs in those areas, or gives in and everyone wins.

--Nat

It would seem that Direct TV has no interest in taking that route.. I agree though.

Is that a new law specific to the Comcast case or are you guessing? Otherwise that's far far from the truth. That's what negotiations are about....If Dish might get a lower price by holding out, they are probably held to not discussing the actual price, in fact any price negotiated is probably conditioned on not being revealed.

While there may be some leeway, the FCC has said that pricing can't be used as a way to get around the loophole. This was the case with Verizon/ATT and Cablevision over MSG HD. Once they forced Cablevision to negotiate, there was a deal in place within days.

It's a win all around for Comcast on the matter. If DirecTV agrees to the outrageous price, then Comcast has the means to charge others the same price. When DirecTV refuses, Comcast now has a way to keep people from switching. This is where providers shouldn't be allowed to own channels.

I thought it was a condition of the Comcast-NBC merger that Comcast had to offer CSN Philly to the satellite companies at a "reasonable" or "competitive" price. If the offered price was thought by the satellite companies to be either unreasonable or not in line with other similar sports channels, then the satellite companies were supposedly able to petition the FCC for a review, which would arbitrate the price within not too long a period of time. From everything I heard, this was a condition of that merger being approved by the government. Can't understand why this isn't a done deal under that arrangement. Many people outside the Philly area care about this channel if they are formerly from that area and are trying to use the available Sports Pack for CSN Philly programming to keep up with their teams from across the country.

Well here in the Northwest (mainly Portland area) it's a much smaller deal--but I've heard Comcast is pulling a similar thing with CSN Northwest. I could care less about the Blazers and the NBA in general, but there are many that do care. What I think is really funny is that in my area, Comcast doesn't even carry their own RSN in HD!

--Nat

gcd0865 said:
I thought it was a condition of the Comcast-NBC merger that Comcast had to offer CSN Philly to the satellite companies at a "reasonable" or "competitive" price. If the offered price was thought by the satellite companies to be either unreasonable or not in line with other similar sports channels, then the satellite companies were supposedly able to petition the FCC for a review, which would arbitrate the price within not too long a period of time. From everything I heard, this was a condition of that merger being approved by the government. Can't understand why this isn't a done deal under that arrangement. Many people outside the Philly area care about this channel if they are formerly from that area and are trying to use the available Sports Pack for CSN Philly programming to keep up with their teams from across the country.

Comcast considers what they are offering it for to be reasonable because they are conveying that the price offered to Verizon is a similar one. As always an actual number is not known. I would imagine that the price people are guessing is pretty close though.

People who live outside the area at least have an option to purchase a sports package such as Extra Innings or Center Ice to see Philadelphia teams. Oddly if one follows the MLS in Philadelphia the Union games are free and clear to people in the region(no blackout restrictions with that package). I would personally love if a similar arrangement was made with the MLB and NHL(NBA as well if that's your thing). Purchase the package and get the games would at least give Direct TV subs in the region an option to view their teams. I could care less if I see local announcers or not but I'm very aware not everyone feels this way.

Last edited:
My suggestion to this problem is offer it optionally to subscribers. For me at $5/mo it is a no brainer. Sold, I can actually watch the Flyers again and I get to keep my choice in service provider.
Directv would have to pay Comcast $5. do you think they wouldn't want to make something from the offer. The cost would be $10 I suspect

Directv would have to pay Comcast $5. do you think they wouldn't want to make something from the offer. The cost would be $10 I suspect

:welcome to Satelliteguys bobabooey!

Where did you get the $5 number from?

If Comcast is indeed asking $5 for CSN Philly, that's nearly the same as the estimates for what ESPN gets and $1 more than any other rsn!

If Comcast is indeed asking $5 for CSN Philly, that's nearly the same as the estimates for what ESPN gets and $1 more than any other rsn!

Is that the price for CSN philly and TCN Philly (needed for the over flow games)?

Full price in all areas? even outer rings?

Status
Please reply by conversation.