Any news on new Dish HD channels

You know what? Let the Japanese have it. HDTV is in danger of becoming like PCs, where every couple years you'll be outdated. We're already at 1080p, but with no programming options for that and none likely for a very, very long time. The world is just gearing up for 1080i and 720p. People are not going to go for buying new tvs that costs a few thousand bucks every couple years. Only a very small segment of enthusiasts will do that. They need to let the technology develop to where the programming matches the current potential and leave it like that or risk obscurity for newer improvements.

huh? there is another standard 1440p or something like that, but that's the new movie theater standard, not for the public, it'll be at least 10 years before we see an update past 1080p especially content..

"...in Japan where they provide a 16 fold increase in pixels..."

This is not broadcast to the public. Remember, Japan came up with a horrible analog/digital system that we rejected (being smart for once) and they now have to move from that garbage to something more in tune with the rest of the world.

huh? there is another standard 1440p or something like that, but that's the new movie theater standard, not for the public, it'll be at least 10 years before we see an update past 1080p especially content..

1440p is suppose to be out by the end of 2008, TV wise that is. But like you said, broadcaste wise there is nothing that is even 1080p yet and won't be for a long time.

1080 24p is part of the standard today, as is 1080 30p. What we want is 1080 60p, and that ain't happening any time soon. They'd have to change the ATSC standard to include something at least as good as MPEG-4; super duper cameras would have to be developed, manufactured, bought and used to get 1920x1080 60p; same for editing, transmission, etc. It's double the bandwidth or more. Even if it were to be used in medium other than OTA, you still have formidable hurdles. Might see it first online, or on high definition disc. Or simply might not see it.

We all love larger numbers. But many people paying the bills will wonder if 1080p at 60 so much better than 1080i as to make it worth the costs. And before you say it is- remember, you haven't seen it.

ATSC Table 3 Formats for DTV Transmission

Vert-----------horz---------aspect----------fps/scan
1080----------1920----------16:9---------24p, 30p, 30i
720-----------1280----------16:9---------24p, 30p, 60p
480------------704----------16:9---------24p, 30p, 30i, 60p
480------------704-----------4:3---------24p, 30p, 30i, 60p
480------------640-----------4:3---------24p, 30p, 30i, 60p

I had D* for years and switched several months ago to E* and am very happy. If you want HDTV go with E* and if possible limit your commitment to able yourself to change if/when D* has substantial HD to offer...which will be some many months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)