Any of you heard about the Steve Smith incident?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
While this is not a good story, it's a diversion from Favregate, but not good nonetheless.

Anyone hear about Steve Smith punching a teammate, getting sent home, and being suspended for the first two games of the 2008 season?

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet.

When Manny pushed the trainer down, this site was lit up with angry posts immediately, yet it took a few days for anyone to mention this.

Then again, SportsCenter is more concerned with finding out who delivered Brett Favre's pizza.

Last edited:
While this is not a good story, it's a diversion from Favregate, but not good nonetheless.

Anyone hear about Steve Smith punching a teammate, getting sent home, and being suspended for the first two games of the 2008 season?

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet.

When Manny pushed the trainer down, this site was lit up with angry posts immediately, yet it took a few days for anyone to mention this.

Then again, SportsCenter is more concerned with finding out who delivered Brett Favre's pizza.

This is entirely different than the Manny / reporter situation, this is 2 players, on the same team.
That said, they have fights among players on just about every camp, daily, I think too much is being made of it, unless it went overboard and wasn't broken up when other interviened.
I am very surprised that they suspended him, unless like i mentioned,that it want way over board.
I have not seen the incident as I figured it was just another mini camp scuffle.

Jimbo

Steve Smith was suspended for 2 regular season games by the Carolina Panthers. Was this a case of Marty Hurney and John Fox demonstrating excellent character and high minded idealism by imposing self discipline . . . or were they afraid that Law and Order Goodell would impose his own discipline through the league's personal conduct policy?

Steve Smith was suspended for 2 regular season games by the Carolina Panthers. Was this a case of Marty Hurney and John Fox demonstrating excellent character and high minded idealism by imposing self discipline . . . or were they afraid that Law and Order Goodell would impose his own discipline through the league's personal conduct policy?
I don't know what Goodell would have had in store for Smith, but if Fox and Hurney were worried about anybody it should be owner Jerry Richardson. Those two were lucky IMO not have been fired after last season's debacle. If they were seen as rolling over for a superstar they might have lost what little credibility they have left.

I don't know what Goodell would have had in store for Smith, but if Fox and Hurney were worried about anybody it should be owner Jerry Richardson. Those two were lucky IMO not have been fired after last season's debacle. If they were seen as rolling over for a superstar they might have lost what little credibility they have left.

Do you think that Fox and Hurney are going to put Delhomme on a short leash this season? Seems to me that their hopes of keeping their jobs rest on the abilities of Delhomme's awkward throwing motion.

Do you think that Fox and Hurney are going to put Delhomme on a short leash this season? Seems to me that their hopes of keeping their jobs rest on the abilities of Delhomme's awkward throwing motion.
Delhomme, if healthy, is the least of their worries. He can play. The problem is that Fox wants the Panthers to be a power running team, yet they finish near the bottom in the league in rushing every year. That, and no one not named Steve Smith can catch a pass. The Panthers audition more guys at WR than anyone in the league. And you've got a defense that has become softer year after year.

You get a running game and more than one guy who can get open and catch a pass and you'll see how good Delhomme can be. Jake's got a 5-2 record in the playoffs with a SB appearance (and he torched the Pats D in that game BTW). That's better than virtually every other QB in the league except for Brady and Peyton.

Delhomme, if healthy, is the least of their worries. He can play. The problem is that Fox wants the Panthers to be a power running team, yet they finish near the bottom in the league in rushing every year. That, and no one not named Steve Smith can catch a pass. The Panthers audition more guys at WR than anyone in the league. And you've got a defense that has become softer year after year.

You get a running game and more than one guy who can get open and catch a pass and you'll see how good Delhomme can be. Jake's got a 5-2 record in the playoffs with a SB appearance (and he torched the Pats D in that game BTW). That's better than virtually every other QB in the league except for Brady and Peyton.

Has Delhomme completely recovered from the elbow injury/surgery he suffered last year?

This is entirely different than the Manny / reporter situation, this is 2 players, on the same team.
That said, they have fights among players on just about every camp, daily, I think too much is being made of it, unless it went overboard and wasn't broken up when other interviened.
I am very surprised that they suspended him, unless like i mentioned,that it want way over board.
I have not seen the incident as I figured it was just another mini camp scuffle.

Jimbo

+1.

This happened between two players on the same team. Football is also more physical by nature. If any of you have been to a practice, tempers can flare and fights break out. It's usually kept in the clubhouse and isn't made a big deal of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts