Any others stuck in the old Bellsouth area without UVERSE availability?

Dudleydog73

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I live in a rather new development that was getting installed with the Bellsouth fiber to the curb and apparently this setup is not conducive to Uverse. The most I can get is 6/384k on standard DSL.

Is there anyone that is stuck in the same predicament I am in that might know if/when AT&T will get their act in gear to get us Uverse? I am literally 25 ft from the DSL card in the pedestal that supports our house, so in theory our speeds should be much more then they give us. I refuse to give Time Warner any business, so I will have to muddle through with what I have until we are deemed worthy of an upgrade for our development.

Yep same thing here. But keep waiting because in the next year or so there in the process of changing out the mesa cabinets and the curb side boxes with something compatable for uverse.

The mesa cabinet stuff is old and not compatable with uverse. Max speed is 6 meg.

Talked with att guy the other day and thats what there saying anyway.

Thanks for that. I have been waiting for 4+ years with neighborhoods around us getting uverse and literally surrounded by centurylink neighborhoods with their new prism service. At least you got a AT&T rep to fess up about their plans. I keep getting the old "sorry, we do not divulge scheduling of any type nor can we confirm if or when we will give you uverse, although we are always looking to increase our user base as much as possible. Sign up to be notified when uverse is available at your house as I have no further info I can give you" lines when I try to get any additional info.

Oh well, maybe I will get more then 6 Meg's down with the pitiful upload speed they give me before I end up selling this house.

I think it was more so with the mfg of the cabinets. He said they couldnt get parts for it so when something went out they had to call different states or areas to find what they needed.

Wow just relized u was in raleigh lol im in climax south of greensboro. But talked with a guy in charlotte. So id say its the same in all areas.

AT&T only offers dial up at my location. We have waited over a decade for them to offer DSL which never happened. A neighbor two houses away can get Uverse internet (not cable or/and phone) but not the highest of tiers is available and seems to always have trouble with the AT&T van outside their house. So, we finally went with cable Internet although it is more expensive since anything else available has a data plan associated with it. I'm not sure why we even keep AT&T for landline telephone (probably for long distance).

Last edited:
several folks at our office near Nashville have the "old BellSouth fiber" issue. Slow DSL is available - no U-verse service.
So, does anyone know the bottom-line issue? Is it the type of fiber that is incompatible, or is it the mux equipment "Mesa 4" or "Tellabs 1150" that is unavailable or unprofitable?

Yep same thing here. But keep waiting because in the next year or so there in the process of changing out the mesa cabinets and the curb side boxes with something compatable for uverse.

The mesa cabinet stuff is old and not compatable with uverse. Max speed is 6 meg.

Talked with att guy the other day and thats what there saying anyway.

The service you have now and the new Uverse service work out of 2 entirely different boxes.

Standard DSL will work out of the normal (green) xcut boxes, the Uverse will be available AFTER you see a Beige (in most places) box in place and they will add the electric meter, once you see the electric on, it should be about a month till it's up and functional.

Thanks for that. I have been waiting for 4+ years with neighborhoods around us getting uverse and literally surrounded by centurylink neighborhoods with their new prism service. At least you got a AT&T rep to fess up about their plans. I keep getting the old "sorry, we do not divulge scheduling of any type nor can we confirm if or when we will give you uverse, although we are always looking to increase our user base as much as possible. Sign up to be notified when uverse is available at your house as I have no further info I can give you" lines when I try to get any additional info.

Oh well, maybe I will get more then 6 Meg's down with the pitiful upload speed they give me before I end up selling this house.

Don't you remember when 1.5mg was fast ?

AT&T only offers dial up at my location. We have waited over a decade for them to offer DSL which never happened. A neighbor two houses away can get Uverse internet (not cable or/and phone) but not the highest of tiers is available and seems to always have trouble with the AT&T van outside their house. So, we finally went with cable Internet although it is more expensive since anything else available has a data plan associated with it. I'm not sure why we even keep AT&T for landline telephone (probably for long distance).

If you can get ATT DSL, you can also get the Phone .... thats landline phone ...

They are trying to push everyone to Uverse TV, Internet and VOIP phone whenever possible.

The TV portion of the services has a lot more requirements than the internet and phone, thats why it's harder to get TV turned up.

several folks at our office near Nashville have the "old BellSouth fiber" issue. Slow DSL is available - no U-verse service.
So, does anyone know the bottom-line issue? Is it the type of fiber that is incompatible, or is it the mux equipment "Mesa 4" or "Tellabs 1150" that is unavailable or unprofitable?

I doubt that the fiber is incompatible, however, the switches are probably the issue ...

Yea theres alot of dsl in the old stuff. But alot of dsl is working out of the uverse cabinet too.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yea theres alot of dsl in the old stuff. But alot of dsl is working out of the uverse cabinet too.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Negative ... sorta.

I actuality, the lower speed dsl, up to 6 mg, yes will work out of the Green xcut box. the Video is strictly coming from the Beige boxes and out from that box into the green box onto the aerial side of the network out to your home.

Dial tone (landline) and legacy dsl comes from the Central office running thru the Green box.

If you have Landline DT and U verse TV it starts with the Dialtone coming from the central office, to the Green xcut box, over to a pr in that same box that feeds into the Beige box, picks up the video and returns to another pair in the green box and then from there to the out side of the green box.

If you have just Video, or higher than 6 mg internet and or VOIP dialtone, that comes out of the Beige box , picks up the outgoing pr to your home thru the Green box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)