Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
After spending many hours auditioning various speakers I finally decided to go with Paradigm Reference Studio line of speakers. I am getting the following speaker system:

• Paradigm Studio 60 v.5 main speakers;
  • Paradigm Studio CC-590 v.5 center speaker;
  • Paradigm Studio ADP-590 surround speakers;
  • Paradigm J-18C center stand for CC-590;
  • Paradigm Monitor Sub 12 subwoofer;
  • Paradigm PBK Perfect Bass Kit for Monitor Sub 12.

I will post my impressions after I get the speakers home. Heading to the store right now... ;)

Just brought them home. All 10 boxes! Surprised I was able to fit them all in my car.

So far I have only unpacked the fronts. Hooked them up and I am listening already. :D
The speakers are not yet broken in and I haven't run the Audyssey yet. Never the less they sound amazing!

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

Pretty good sensitivity! Rated at 92dB. Not as efficient as Klipsch with its horns, but better than many other speakers I listened to.
Which means I can delay the upgrade of my Denon! ;)

Is that rating at 8 or 4 ohms. Lower impedance = higher current.

I'm not being critical, there's a reason Paradigm has done well for so long.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

They are "compatible with 8 ohms" :)

I love the efficiency of my Klipsch speakers, I can drive em hard and they just blast clean and loud. The horns were an adjustment, but I love em now. Paradigm was the other brand on my list and I really like their stuff.

Klipsch does make a great speaker. I had a pair of KG4s years ago. The horns were just too bright for my tastes, but they are excellent speakers. Paradigm has been on my upgrade list, too. I'd love to have the setup you just got Ilya. I'll have to stick with my DTs for the time being.

Is that rating at 8 or 4 ohms. Lower impedance = higher current.

According to Stereophile's measurements, the impedance remains between 5 and 8 ohms over most of the audioband.

image-582972991.jpg

92dB that's actually in room; 89dB anechoic. Stereophile estimates 90dB.
When I was doing A/B comparison of these speakers vs. some others (e.g. B&W CM), I had to turn the volume down for Paradigm's.

I did listen to Klipsch speakers: liked the sound a lot. But I just couldn't get used to their horns. They were just too much for me. Paradigm speakers are much easier on my ears. I think I can listen to them for hours without getting tired. Maybe I am just getting old...

Klipsch does make a great speaker. I had a pair of KG4s years ago. The horns were just too bright for my tastes, but they are excellent speakers. Paradigm has been on my upgrade list, too. I'd love to have the setup you just got Ilya. I'll have to stick with my DTs for the time being.

I still run my KG4s and am lightly looking to move them to the rear and upgrade to Cornwalls in front. The issue is the center as the only solution there is the acadamy. They are as rare as hen's teeth.

I did listen to Klipsch speakers: liked the sound a lot. But I just couldn't get used to their horns. They were just too much for me. Paradigm speakers are much easier on my ears. I think I can listen to them for hours without getting tired. Maybe I am just getting old...

Well, and it takes time. I had not had them long and I purchased the Metallica Pour Une Nuit French blu-ray, and jammed it out. At the end of that concert, I understood what fatigued meant. Now though, I can let em loose for longer periods, granted you really dont want to if you like being able to hear lol. I had never heard the Paridigms, but new they were great and was just gonna blind buy them until I went for the Reference II towers and center. For what I spent, Id not re-do my decision, Ive been perfectly happy and thats what should matter. I know they arent the best towers in the world, but the horns and 8" woofers are suited to me because of the mostly HT use they get.

As far as ohms, I know the Klipsch are rated at 8, but Ive heard more than one person state they can run lower than that. My Denon drives fine at more volume than I could bare.

Jason,

Klipsch are high sensitivity, so you'll be surprised how little power they require to be driven to high volumes.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

Understood, I was just figuring if they were actually more like a 4-6 ohm speaker, that would negate some of that sensitivity. That could all be speculation though, I just read it in the Klipsch owners thread at AVS a long time ago.

I had never heard the Paridigms, but knew they were great and was just gonna blind buy them...

With Paradigm, like with most other speaker brands, some people like them, some people don't care about them at all. Only your ears can decide what works for you and what doesn't. I wouldn't recommend spending thousands of dollars on Paradigm speakers, or any other speakers for that matter, without taking time to listen to them first. It would be like buying a car without ever test-driving it, or like buying a house based on pictures and reviews alone.

When I started auditioning speakers, I honestly didn't think I would end up buying Paradigm speakers. But that's what worked best to my ears. This is very subjective though. There are many great speakers out there. Everyone can find something that works best to his/her own taste. There is no right or wrong here. It's mostly a matter of personal preference, the way I see it.

Yeah, I was just going off reviews. My problem here was I have one place, and they want an appointment and all this stuff, which reminds me of buying a car. Places like that annoy me to be honest, and while Id put myself as more a videophile, audiophile I am not. Audio is "sounds good" or "sounds bad" for me LOL.

So, I knew going from Def Tech bookshelfs with a 5.25" woofer, to the Studio's or Klispsch Reference II towers and matching centers were gonna blow me away, and they did. Kinda like going to the 15" sub, WOW.

Ultimately my propensity to play HT very loud (without a dedicated amp) led me to the horns.

My problem here was I have one place, and they want an appointment and all this stuff, which reminds me of buying a car. Places like that annoy me to be honest.

I know what you mean. My experience was pretty good though. Nothing even remotely resembling buying a car. I visited several A/V stores and there was absolutely no pressure from sales people there. They would just setup everything for me and would leave me alone for the entire auditioning (often for 2-3 hours straight!) Yes, sometimes they would require an advance appointment, but that's for my own benefit, to make sure that the setup is right and that no one else is using the same showroom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts