Any progress between MLB and E*?

i bet the reason why there's no MLB EI package on Dish because Charlie is off course a cheap b****** and the only way Dish is gonna get MLB:EI and MLB Network is if the government forces them to do so. which i just don't see that happening, granted i'm not a huge MLB watcher and don't ever plan on getting MLB:EI if Dish did had it. but i feel bad for MLB fans with Dish. my advice is switch providers if you want MLB:EI so bad as well as MLB Network is to go elsewhere because Dish won't make a deal with MLB, it's greed on both parties end. sorry.

Here is a quote from that article

Additionally, in keeping with MLB's desire to provide as much MLB programming to as many baseball fans as possible, MLB and DIRECTV have agreed to include a provision that allows MLB EXTRA INNINGS to be offered to other incumbents - In Demand and DISH Network - at consistent rates and carriage requirements with a deal to be concluded before the baseball season begins.

I thought the reason Charlie didn't pony up the cash for MLB EI was because when they did have it the subscriber rate was very low. I think I remember the number being something like only 196,000 subs. In order to even come close to breaking even on the deal, Dish would had to have significant across-the-board rate hikes. It wasn't going to be a good deal for Dish, so I don't blame Charlie for passing. In the few years that have passed, nothing has really changed so don't expect MLB EI on Dish any time soon.

If it was anything like this past season. You need infinite patience to view games in HD. I, along with thousands of others, constantly had our feeds skip, and revert to SD no matter what measure was taken, and no matter how good the internet connection was.

I do agree though, mlb.tv is a stroke of genius, and if it is fixed, I will be a subscriber for life.

I, too, had those problems at times. I have a very fast computer and more than enough bandwith speed for smooth streaming so it was really frustrating. Then, MLB.TV came to the Roku box and everything changed. It worked flawlessly. I highly recommend you pick one up. You'll be happy you did. :)

The issue here is really Directv bidding up the price to the point where DISH Network would not pay because it was not worthwhile to carry.

Do the math, 100 Million per year with 200,000 subscribers is a cost of $500 per household who subscribes. The package is like $169 for each subscriber which is a net loss of $331

I think on previous seasons it was like 10 million per year, which gave you a cost of $50 per subscriber and a profit of $119.

The issue is what did it really cost Dish? Sure they lost a few existing customers over it, but for signing up new customers I literally think it was less than 1% that we lost to Directv because of this package.

I even thought I needed Extra Innings and the MLB Network and ended up getting Comcast. I ended up cancelling it half way through the season because to be honest MLB.TV is really all I needed. I love the Tigers, I watch them on FS Detroit and then would use MLB.TV in the 9th inning to see the outcome of another key game that I was intrested in.

Unless your rooting for a team that is not local to your Market, you really don't need extra innings.

Charlie tried very hard to get MLB IE, but the price for it and the MLB network was far more than Dish could afford. People have to remember, Dish and Echostar are small companies and they don't have the deep pockets of all the big cable companies nor Verizon nor AT&T nor Direc TV. If Charlie had purchased rights to MLB IE (and somehow managed to outbid Direc TV for NFL ST) Dish would be owned by the banks by now. Please keep in mind it is not merely stubbornness on the part of Ergen, rather he really doesn't have the money to pay that high of a price and still keep Dish from going out of business. If he could afford it, he would love to get it back, but he can't, and he won't acquire it if the spreadsheets don't support it.

i bet the reason why there's no MLB EI package on Dish because Charlie is off course a cheap b****** and the only way Dish is gonna get MLB:EI and MLB Network is if the government forces them to do so. which i just don't see that happening, granted i'm not a huge MLB watcher and don't ever plan on getting MLB:EI if Dish did had it. but i feel bad for MLB fans with Dish. my advice is switch providers if you want MLB:EI so bad as well as MLB Network is to go elsewhere because Dish won't make a deal with MLB, it's greed on both parties end. sorry.

You can't call Dish greedy if they can't break even with subscribers with the enormous sum of money that MLB wants up front without raising base rates for everyone. MLB can go... you know.

Charlie tried very hard to get MLB IE, but the price for it and the MLB network was far more than Dish could afford. People have to remember, Dish and Echostar are small companies and they don't have the deep pockets of all the big cable companies nor Verizon nor AT&T nor Direc TV. If Charlie had purchased rights to MLB IE (and somehow managed to outbid Direc TV for NFL ST) Dish would be owned by the banks by now. Please keep in mind it is not merely stubbornness on the part of Ergen, rather he really doesn't have the money to pay that high of a price and still keep Dish from going out of business. If he could afford it, he would love to get it back, but he can't, and he won't acquire it if the spreadsheets don't support it.
umm Charlie is one of the richest billonaires world wide (I think # 60 or so)

I think that DSLA may have overstated the case somewhat but there is no reason for Ergen to use his personal fortune to subsidize my ability to watch the Red Sox outside of New England. e* (and Charlie must be at least aware of this even if he did not make the decision) has simply decided that it would cost more than it is worth. I have no idea if they are right but taht does seem to be the conclusion.

I think that DSLA may have overstated the case somewhat but there is no reason for Ergen to use his personal fortune to subsidize my ability to watch the Red Sox outside of New England. e* (and Charlie must be at least aware of this even if he did not make the decision) has simply decided that it would cost more than it is worth. I have no idea if they are right but taht does seem to be the conclusion.
His fortune is not personal..its dish network stock

In relation to progress is E and MLB even talking, I figured it was a closed case did not think it was coming in the near future??

yes it is personal Juan. It may consist largely of Echostar stock but many personal fortunes have are at least partially composed of stock.

but I really don't see how your statement supports your original argument that he has the assets to do it but i suspect taht we wwould only argue in circles on this.

The issue here is really Directv bidding up the price to the point where DISH Network would not pay because it was not worthwhile to carry.

Do the math, 100 Million per year with 200,000 subscribers is a cost of $500 per household who subscribes. The package is like $169 for each subscriber which is a net loss of $331

I think on previous seasons it was like 10 million per year, which gave you a cost of $50 per subscriber and a profit of $119.

The issue is what did it really cost Dish? Sure they lost a few existing customers over it, but for signing up new customers I literally think it was less than 1% that we lost to Directv because of this package.

I even thought I needed Extra Innings and the MLB Network and ended up getting Comcast. I ended up cancelling it half way through the season because to be honest MLB.TV is really all I needed. I love the Tigers, I watch them on FS Detroit and then would use MLB.TV in the 9th inning to see the outcome of another key game that I was intrested in.

Unless your rooting for a team that is not local to your Market, you really don't need extra innings.

Thats true, unless you root for the other New York team. Hell if Dish would just throw YES on the Sports Tier, I would still be with them today. However Charlie and the Boys won't work the deal.

I was not asking to have everybody pay for YES, but make it a option for us to buy.

BTW Extra Innings is available on TWC too. It is just basically not available on Dish, like YES, MSG's HDs, and MLB net. Make these available ala carte or on a special tier and many of us would still be with Dish.

yes it is personal Juan. It may consist largely of Echostar stock but many personal fortunes have are at least partially composed of stock.

but I really don't see how your statement supports your original argument that he has the assets to do it but i suspect taht we wwould only argue in circles on this.

My point is Money is NOT why charlie doesnt carry MLB extra innings (Its the lack of profit ;) )

My point is Money is NOT why charlie doesnt carry MLB extra innings (Its the lack of profit ;) )

I hate to shake you up juan old buddy but that was what the poster before you said and then you stepped in to say no he has billions---which you then discounted by saying it is in the form of stock and not really his.

but now we are all back to what wa said before----they looked at the spreadsheets and then rejected the deal.

I hate to shake you up juan old buddy but that was what the poster before you said and then you stepped in to say no he has billions---which you then discounted by saying it is in the form of stock and not really his.

but now we are all back to what wa said before----they looked at the spreadsheets and then rejected the deal.
thats not what i said.. he has the money..dish has the money..they just dont like to throw good money after bad (he's very very very very very stingy and cheap) rumour hasi it his middle name is ebenezer

BTW Extra Innings is available on TWC too. It is just basically not available on Dish, like YES, MSG's HDs, and MLB net. Make these available ala carte or on a special tier and many of us would still be with Dish.
MLB:EI is available on Time Warner because they're part of the InDemand conglomerate.

MSG HD isn't available because CableVision refuses to sell access to the channel at any price to any company that competes within their service area. Cable companies like TWC and Comcast get access because cable service footprints don't overlap. DirecTV is the one exception, and that was only because it was used as a bargaining chip during the Voom debacle. Even with the HD feed being uplinked, DirecTV is still forbidden to allow access to viewers outside of the NY area for use in the packages like NHL Center Ice.

MLB Network isn't available because a pre-req to getting the channel is buying into the $100 million/season MLB:EI package.

Yeah, it sucks for baseball fans and those who want to watch NY Sports teams, but there are millions of other TV subscribers in the country that don't feel strongly about these offerings.

With all of the loopholes and games played around media access rights, I think it's all but impossible for any one company to be everything to everyone.

MLB:EI is available on Time Warner because they're part of the InDemand conglomerate.

MSG HD isn't available because CableVision refuses to sell access to the channel at any price to any company that competes within their service area. Cable companies like TWC and Comcast get access because cable service footprints don't overlap. DirecTV is the one exception, and that was only because it was used as a bargaining chip during the Voom debacle. Even with the HD feed being uplinked, DirecTV is still forbidden to allow access to viewers outside of the NY area for use in the packages like NHL Center Ice.

MLB Network isn't available because a pre-req to getting the channel is buying into the $100 million/season MLB:EI package.

Yeah, it sucks for baseball fans and those who want to watch NY Sports teams, but there are millions of other TV subscribers in the country that don't feel strongly about these offerings.
With all of the loopholes and games played around media access rights, I think it's all but impossible for any one company to be everything to everyone.

Thanks chuck ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)