Any reason to go with Joey 2.0 rather than the 4k Joey?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
No, you should not. The wireless Joey is VERY slow, and drops it's wireless connection all to often requiring a plug reboot of the WJ and the WAP...at least once a week. I only have it because of my chosen TV location vs where the coax is.

Well, I cannot say I am particularly interested in a 2 second delay between button presses and the Joey responding. That is about what I have now with my Genie Mini, and it sucks to be honest.

No, you should not. The wireless Joey is VERY slow, and drops it's wireless connection all to often requiring a plug reboot of the WJ and the WAP...at least once a week. I only have it because of my chosen TV location vs where the coax is.
Umm, never happened on mine, ever. Not ever. Never. And I just posted the response time. I know 3 other techs that use WiFi Joeys in our office and none have ever said that they have to do that and that's who I went to to get advice about using them at my house

Reactions: CulpeperUplink
Umm, never happened on mine, ever. Not ever. Never. And I just posted the response time. I know 3 other techs that use WiFi Joeys in our office and none have ever said that they have to do that and that's who I went to to get advice about using them at my house
Umm, good for you. My opinion stands. How long have YOU had one?

Reactions: JSheridan
Umm, good for you. My opinion stands. How long have YOU had one?
KAB I respect the fact that you an old timer here and very, very knowledgeable but I have never, ever heard of that before. Not form a customer, not as a topic on the tech portal. Nowhere. Your issue sounds like it's isolated and could be caused by several things. Distance form the WAP. Using a WAP1 instead of a WAP2 (they are much better), metal in the walls/floors or just a defective WiFi Joey.

KAB I respect the fact that you an old timer here and very, very knowledgeable but I have never, ever heard of that before. Not form a customer, not as a topic on the tech portal. Nowhere. Your issue sounds like it's isolated and could be caused by several things. Distance form the WAP. Using a WAP1 instead of a WAP2 (they are much better), metal in the walls/floors or just a defective WiFi Joey.
When did WAP2 come out? What is the difference between WAP1 & 2?

When did WAP2 come out? What is the difference between WAP1 & 2?
I don't know. When I first had troubles, Dirt told me they could not authorize a replacement WAP, so they sent out a Tech with new WJ. Turned out it was a bad node, not only affecting the WJ, but signal strength from the Dish. WJ more stable since then, but still cannot escape the Sat. AM update which requires the reboots.

They've been around for several months and we haven't seen any noticeable difference.

We've seen a noticeable difference, not only in staying connected but in range. The biggest difference was in connecting. With the original it seem like many times we had to set the Wi-Fi Joey right next to it and then once it was done moving to its final location. With the new were ones that has not ever been an issue

Waiting on DISH. The third update on tech arrival came a while back. Started out with a 12-5 window, then a 12:30-2:00, then a 1-1:45, then a 1:45-3:00. Trying to end up with a Hopper 3 and a 4k Joey. No upgrade fees but a additional two year commitment. Service call fee unless I signed up for a insurance protection plan, so I did. Already have the two channel OTA module, along with my single OTA module. Hope the Hopper3 works as expected. I have been with DISH since VOOM went belly up. Have had almost no issues or problems. Hope that continues.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have both a Joey 2 and a Wireless Joey. While I haven't sat down with a stopwatch to compare functions, I personally find the WJ slightly faster in navigation than the Joey 2...certainly not by a wide margin.

My daughter's wireless Joey seems to work very well. It honestly may be faster responding than her wired Joey. It's at the far end of house from Hopper and upstairs and sometimes on the deck. Maybe the location of yours is a problem or something isn't working correctly?

My daughter's wireless Joey seems to work very well. It honestly may be faster responding than her wired Joey. It's at the far end of house from Hopper and upstairs and sometimes on the deck. Maybe the location of yours is a problem or something isn't working correctly?
Yeh, I need to retract the slow statement, in that it is slow WHEN I use a Harmony remote. It is quicker with the Dish remote.

Reactions: Tampa8
FWIW, I would not get any Joey based upon Netflix, etc. I have been converted my preference from Roku to FireTV. FireTV is not only faster than my last Roku 3's, but FireTV (which is 4K capable) has the apps that matter to me, not the JUNK Roku has, and FireTV has the Dish Anywhere app and the Sling Player app, and I use both. I don't really care for the Roku Sling Player solution that requires a mobile device to use. Also, Amazon Music (the version included with Prime membership; I am not paying extra for the Unlimited service) that has just about every CD/Music I have ever purchased from Amazon has become the best source of music in a room (Full bit CD's are for when I want to LISTEN to music) and many other songs and full CD's outside of what I've ordered as part of Prime membership are also available for playback and download to another device. Again, this is all part of the Prime membership and NOT the additional upgrade to a Spotify-like Amazon Unlimited Music service. Another big draw for me is the VLC Player for FireTV, which is far superior to Roku's or Dish's media options, and the FireTV VLC version will play files many other players do not ;) and on more locations/folders. The FireTV can access just about EVERYTHING I like in regards to media and is now my complete solution.

Considering more app developers seem to be tightening to Apple or Android, in the long run Roku's unique OS is what is gonna kill them in years to come, and not too far off from now. Sadly Dish's media solution falls short, but I do use it on occasion to keep up with whatever changes it gets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)