Any reason why I should not switch to DTV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ilaudio

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
I am really fed up with Dish's antics. They are now telling me to spend $99 or commit to 1 yr of hd pak to get the 8psk so I can continue to get the HBO & ShoHD channels I already pay for.

Has anyone switched one way or another? I would be interested to hear feedback.

It doesn't sound like Dish will be the leader in HD, the DTV products are easier to come by and the programming may be cheaper after Dish's new price increase.

Also--anyone know where to get a side by side comparison of E vs Dtv packages?

I switched from E* to D* about a month ago. After watching all the delays with 921, SuperDish, releasing buggy hardware, slow to update software (especially 721), 180 degree change in what SuperDish was after all the public announcements, etc... it was just too much. Like you, I was pretty fed up and figured I'd try "the dark side".

Well, turns out "the dark side" is actually pretty bright! I'm very pleased with the switch to D* and wish I had done it sooner. I have 1 standard box and 1 Tivo box. I'm looking forward to getting the HD Tivo in a couple months.

I had Top 100 with E* and got Total Choice Plus with D* and ended up saving a couple dollars AND getting more channels!

DBSTalk has a great comparison of the services: http://steve.dbstalk.com/dbs/packagecomparison.htm

what are you going to do with your 6000 if you move to D*? I'd imagine a 6000 with 8psk will go for a lot more than one without if you tried to sell it (well, that and the 8vsb).

Didn't E offer the 8psk to you for free?

I just came from D* to E* a few weeks ago with a 522 and 811.

I am so much happier with E*.

E* might be a bit slow on the HD content, but with more channels slated for Q1 2004, I will wait it out.

Then with the new SAT launch later this year at 105, that will add more bandwidth and with SuperDish, it will open up quite a pipe for HD.

(I hope...)

Mark_AR said:
E* might be a bit slow on the HD content, but with more channels slated for Q1 2004, I will wait it out.

Then with the new SAT launch later this year at 105, that will add more bandwidth and with SuperDish, it will open up quite a pipe for HD.

(I hope...)

You hope is right. What 'more channels slated for Q1 2004' are you talking about, Bingo????? It can't be any HD channels since Charlie says Dish has all the HD that's worth having right now.

I would switch to Direct but many can not watch star trek on it.

There is NO Super Station package on Direct which mean NO upn options for about 20% of the country.

Star Trek Enterprise is only avl on UPN.

I live in Omaha where Cox cable owns all rights to UPN for there O2TV there is NO over the air station.

Its either Dish or cable in many smaller cities if you want Star Trek.

Many have asked Direct To add an option but they do not seem to want to listen.

your thursday night lineup for upn is on the wb channel on sat. night. just checked wilkes barre local wb38 for sat. enterprise and then smackdown.Same lineup as upn on thursday check it in your area it has been this way since we got the locals

Simple solution get the 8PSK module from satellite guys store for $49, watch HDTV. Call dish and get an 811 for either 149/199 depending on your programming level. Once you get the 811 (be sure you have it in hand), sell the 6000 on ebay for lots of $$ (500-600 they seem to go for). That way you get your HDTV and get money back in your pocket.

That is weird, here my locals are Grand Rapids, MI and DTV carries our low powered UPN channel however DISH will NOT.

ScottChez said:
I would switch to Direct but many can not watch star trek on it.

There is NO Super Station package on Direct which mean NO upn options for about 20% of the country.

Star Trek Enterprise is only avl on UPN.

I live in Omaha where Cox cable owns all rights to UPN for there O2TV there is NO over the air station.

Its either Dish or cable in many smaller cities if you want Star Trek.

Many have asked Direct To add an option but they do not seem to want to listen.

ilaudio said:
They are now telling me to spend $99 or commit to 1 yr of hd pak to get the 8psk so I can continue to get the HBO & ShoHD channels I already pay for.

Every time Charlie changes plans, he puts someone in a bad spot. Would you believe, 2-1/2 years ago I paid $$$ to have a mature tree cut down so I could get LOS on the 61.5? Bought and installed a 2nd dish, too.

Even so, I went for the 1 yr. HD pack, figuring I'd sub to it anyway. And, after all, Charlie did say that the 8psk would be needed for all future HD programming. Sure hope this doesn't change - again.

Yeah,it bites that you have to pay more to get the same. Like Marko said, the 8psk makes the 6000 worth that much more. Think of it as an investment and go for it.

Like you, I'm starting to wonder if my next hardware purchase will be from E* or D*. For now, all the equipment's paid for and working, programming's about what I want, price is right, the family unit has finally figured everything out. So, I guess I stay with D*. For now.

And, to answer your original question/post (in my best Letterman voice)-

Here are the Top 10 reasons NOT to switch to D* :

10. CallerID - Got couch potato?

9. RF remotes - Gotta lov 'em!

8. CBS HD - Good for some, free O&O lessons for all!

7. Rupert - What could he possibly know about providing entertainment to the masses?

6. TIVO - Who wants that funny symbol on their equipment? Besides,rebooting is fun.

5. Free Lottery - only E* elevates you to "preferred" status for no particular reason. Call and see if you've won a $50 price break on a receiver you can't get!

4. Superdish - Very macho, just ask the BUD guys. Hey Rupert, mine's bigger than yours!

3. Beta testing - Free with every new E* receiver. Most software providers require you to sign up for this privilege. With E*, it's totally automatic!

2. BingoTV - 'Nuff said!

And (drum roll, please) the number ONE reason to NOT switch to D* :

1. The Charlie and Jim Show - No way could D* ever top that! C'mon, you know you'll miss it!

Sounds like your mind was pretty well made up when you posted. If not, I wish you good luck in making the decision. Having choices is good. Having to make choices can be tough. Maybe Charlie's just making it easier for you?

I am going to wait a Month or so and see who adds the most and best new HD. Then I will pick either the HD Tivo or the 921.

Both should be out by then and in stock with discounts.

I can then compare them based on what is actualy working -vrs- what they say may someday work or what doesnet due to bugs. I can make a spreadsheet and score the comparision.

Adding Bravo HD and Sci Fi in ED would be a big plus in the score.

jerryez said:
I wish all of you whiners would go on and change to DTV. You just clutter up the Dish forum with your bitchin.

Because we like to keep rubbing it in with you loosers that are staying with Dish ;)

Honestly, looking over the posts from the past few months it looks like a number of folks have been leaving E* for other providers, myself included.

I used to wonder why there were not very many Direct TV posts on any of the DBS Sat forums.

Then I found out why. They are all on the Tivo Forums as they all have Direct TVs, there are more posts there than for any DishNetwork thread.

Many have made the switch to D*, you just never see them around these boards anymore.

One big reason IMO is that now that Murdoch (right spelling?) owns a large part of it, you can expect to see more content control and manipulation. It will start out small and eventually get larger. Vertical integration will allow more room to make up for some lost customers.

I'd rather not be stuck with the BS-filled Fox News as my primary source, as well as a spread of media by that nut. They won't do anything for awhile but I am pretty confident this is the direction they will head in, and Time Warner Cable included. Half the reason content providers are eating up existing media distribution services and some deep-pocketed communication companies are divesting is purely for this reason. They can afford to make up the difference where communication companies can't (and thus many communication companies are investing in creating their own more inexpensive distribution systems)

that's my opinion

It's kinda funny in a way. My wife, who has never seen this or any other satellite forum and has never seen a Charlie Chat, she thinks Dish Network is great! We have had the same two receivers for almost four years now (a 2800 and a 3900) and they have been virtually problem free the whole time. We have all the channels we want and they look pretty good on our 10 year old RCA TVs - one 20" and one 27". I guess its all a matter of perspective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)