Any recommendations for an indoor antenna?

kotto_bass

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Hi guys, hope I'm in the right place, and my question is not too simplistic... I live in an apartment in Los Angeles, and don't have the cash to afford monthly DirectTV or cable. Specifically, I'm looking for a decent indoor antenna to watch basic channels like the local news or sports. The landlord wouldn't let me install an outdoor antenna. Any recommendations for a nice easy to install indoor device to give me as many clear channels as possible? I have an HDTV. Thanks guys!

This is probably not the best place for this post, it would be better here: HD Over the Air (OTA), a moderator might move it over there for you.

But, take a look at AntennaWeb and let us know the results.

You can probably use a Silver Sensor or another small UHF antenna, but it depends on where you live.

Any recommendations for a nice easy to install indoor device to give me as many clear channels as possible? I have an HDTV. Thanks guys!

I would recommend a Terk HDTVa antenna. It is an indoor, amplified antenna and provides excellent channel reception.

I tried the terk hd antenna, and it is working way better then my previous RCA antenna. Only thing I dont like and it is probley not only me, but the local fox channel doesnt come up...Not sure if they are actually true digital yet though, Bill

Last edited:
Why not try making your own antenna? Try this link for a discussion on making your own.
DIY HDTV antenna - Lumenlab

If you want to make it to hang in a window, you could try removing the refelector (screening) from the design and only use the bowties for a cleaner design. Here are a couple of my attempts. Both work great.

Attachments

• IMG_2181.JPG
    IMG_2181.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_2184.JPG
    IMG_2184.JPG
    557.1 KB · Views: 238
hdtv attnea

the rca one at best buy is pretty good its small but good i get 30 or so channels with it pluged in to atsc input on tv , i live near chicago and the only chan. we dont get is 2 . the one at best buy is rca :)model # ant537. tried the terk , other radio shack ones and on and it seemed the only one that worked any good was the rca , but it cost about $50 or so hope that helps.

Last edited:
You are not allowed to correct misspellings, it hurts the self esteem of those who obviously can't spel.

I would recommend a Terk HDTVa antenna. It is an indoor, amplified antenna and provides excellent channel reception.

I had a Terk HDTVa, it had a nice picture but, every 10-15 minutes it would drop the signal for a second or two. I've since returned it and installed a CM 4228 in the attic.

I'm pretty sure it depends on your location, and the amplification of your antenna. If you live close to the city (1-15 miles), any amplified hd antenna should work. If you live farther away, get one that has more power. I personally live 25-20 miles from the nearest broadcast tower and I pick up great signals from all local stations broadcasting in hd with a Phillips HD antenna with 50db amplification ($30 at Wal-Mart). Picture shown below

SDV2510_27_webImage370.jpg

Just wanted to mention one advantage of the SS3000 for indoor use is it is VHF/UHF. There are still several stations not moving their digital stations to UHF. In fact, one of our locals actually moved their digital transmission BACK to VHF!
That limited the usage of my Silver Sensor immediately.

Just wanted to mention one advantage of the SS3000 for indoor use is it is VHF/UHF. There are still several stations not moving their digital stations to UHF. In fact, one of our locals actually moved their digital transmission BACK to VHF!
That limited the usage of my Silver Sensor immediately.

The Crapshooter's I've seen had issues picking up VHF 13! They had some yo-yo's around here putting them in everywhere because they looked cute. They would tell their customers that ABC wasn't broadcasting in HD. You could get with simple $2 rabbit ears!

I stick to two antennas... CM4221 for metro. CM4228 for customers that want reliable OTA and rural areas. I've seen the CM4228 work great even on VHF 7. For fringe area VHF you'll still need a large VHF element antenna though.

The Crapshooter's I've seen had issues picking up VHF 13! They had some yo-yo's around here putting them in everywhere because they looked cute. They would tell their customers that ABC wasn't broadcasting in HD. You could get with simple $2 rabbit ears!

I stick to two antennas... CM4221 for metro. CM4228 for customers that want reliable OTA and rural areas. I've seen the CM4228 work great even on VHF 7. For fringe area VHF you'll still need a large VHF element antenna though.

Most indoor ants are a crapshoot. I am fortunate enough to be in a rural area with clear sight of xmtrs <25 mi away. Fortunately, they are primarily close to one azimuth. And one other is almost 180 out, so I tend to get it anyway.
My SS worked fine, the Trapshooter is only better because it sucks in the one VHF ABC channel I want. Considering the time it's taking Dish to expand bandwidth for more channels, including local HDs, a good OTA is a worthwhile investment for many of us. YMMV

Every now and then I think how I want to get my locals in HD so I start looking through threads...I tried the terk about 9 months ago and it didn't cut it...the 3 stations I want are a bit mixed

abc - yellow/vhf - 276 degrees - 23 miles
cbs - green/uhf - 293 degrees - 28 miles
nbc - red/vhf - 289 degrees - 25 miles

Will the silver sensor work for that or even that phillips hd w/ an amp?

I really don't have a good place for mounting anything though I could maybe put something in the attic if I could get it up there (2 story house). I would love to have something that works indoors.

25 miles is streching it for an indoor antenna. If anything is not perfect signal suffers badly.

Get a CM 4228 and mount it in an upstairs room where there is no activity if you can't put it outside.

Anything indoors or in the attic loses half of the signal with the building materials maybe more.

isn't a cm 4228 mainly for uhf?

only one of the channels I am after is ufh

also, it has a pretty narrow beam width

Since you provided no information on location or channels and asked about the Silver Sensor (a UHF only antenna) we must presume you are looking for UHF signals.

The 4228 is good for VHF-high signals and excellent for UHF. The beam width for the 4228 is about 20 degrees (-3dB) somewhat wider than most yagi style antennas.

Since you provided no information on location or channels and asked about the Silver Sensor (a UHF only antenna) we must presume you are looking for UHF signals.

The 4228 is good for VHF-high signals and excellent for UHF. The beam width for the 4228 is about 20 degrees (-3dB) somewhat wider than most yagi style antennas.

I provided all the details in my original post...

abc - yellow/vhf - 276 degrees - 23 miles
cbs - green/uhf - 293 degrees - 28 miles
nbc - red/vhf - 289 degrees - 25 miles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)