Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rey

@ your service
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2008
Florida
any rumors on a possible new HD dvr coming up for D*?

I've heard rumblings of a possible HR23, but the only difference I've heard is possibly eliminating the need for BBC's. It would have the converter technology built in, that would work when needed or disable if using SWM. Otherwise - exactly like an HR21.

That's all I've heard, and not even sure how accurate that is.

I've heard rumblings of a possible HR23, but the only difference I've heard is possibly eliminating the need for BBC's. It would have the converter technology built in, that would work when needed or disable if using SWM. Otherwise - exactly like an HR21.

That's all I've heard, and not even sure how accurate that is.

Still without a OTA HD Tuner ???

Jimbo

I don't think you are going to see any more DVRs with a built-in OTA tuner....

You would think they would LEARN from thier MISTAKE of not putting one in the HR21 series, concequently they had to invest MORE money and have an ADD ON OTA tuner built, they should have learned from THAT alone that people still want their own option for OTA signals.

Jimbo

You would think they would LEARN from thier MISTAKE of not putting one in the HR21 series, concequently they had to invest MORE money and have an ADD ON OTA tuner built, they should have learned from THAT alone that people still want their own option for OTA signals.

Jimbo

No-one knows the exact numbers, but it is likely that only a small percentage of DVR owners want/use OTA. People who post on this and other forums are generally more aware of what is possible and so are more likely to want OTA. DirecTV has to pay a licence fee for every OTA unit shipped and so with the cost of the electronics and the license fee, on a DVR with a built-in OTA tuner they are paying for capabilities many people don't use. I am sure someone did the analysis and showed it is worthwhile going the AM21 route.

I think there is a new receiver out. I just ordered new service with an HD DVR and the associate told me this was the first of this model that he has ever sold. All I know about it is that it has 400 hours of SD and an additional 100 hours of HD record time. I'm trying to figure out which model it is, because I don't see it on directv.com.

Certainely possible, the H23 is out and has built in BBCs. The HR23 is "rumored" and could have a bigger hard drive too?

Haven't seen anything definite yet. Let us know what you get!

I think there is a new receiver out. I just ordered new service with an HD DVR and the associate told me this was the first of this model that he has ever sold. All I know about it is that it has 400 hours of SD and an additional 100 hours of HD record time. I'm trying to figure out which model it is, because I don't see it on directv.com.

i always thought that the csr's could not control and/or guarantee which receiver is sent out

PERSONAL OPINION FOLLOWS HERE Y'ALL, TAKE IT FOR WHAT ITS WORTH...........

If you're waiting for D* to make another receiver like the HR10-250, your're urinating up a rope. Its NEVER gonna happen. There will never (well, never say NEVER...but you get my drift) be another receiver without D*'s rigid control, a decent GUI that doesn't look like a 4-year old (IMO) drew it with his crayons, OTA tuners onboard with a scan function, and MPEG4.

IMO if you are waiting on all that, stop hoping and wishing and look somewhere else for your TV. D* is NOT interested in anything except what THEY want in a receiver, not what YOU want. Proof of that is the DLB issue. Its the most wanted feature that they left out, and they have done everything BUT add it.

If you MUST have D*, learn to like the hardware. It ain't, IMO, changing. Which is why I left. :D

i always thought that the csr's could not control and/or guarantee which receiver is sent out

I dunno, but he promised 400/100 of SD/HD recording time and said it was a new model.... so new that it was his first time to sale it. We were also discussing how I can send that output to my second TV so I can watch recorded events in my bedroom and said he would have the installer bring out an extra $20 UHF remote. But right before we closed the deal, he put me on hold to go make sure that remote would work on this new box. He then found out it already comes with a UHF remote and that the other remote works with it too. So it was like he was learning about it as we went, which makes me believe it truly was a new model.

I dunno, but he promised 400/100 of SD/HD recording time and said it was a new model.... so new that it was his first time to sale it. We were also discussing how I can send that output to my second TV so I can watch recorded events in my bedroom and said he would have the installer bring out an extra $20 UHF remote. But right before we closed the deal, he put me on hold to go make sure that remote would work on this new box. He then found out it already comes with a UHF remote and that the other remote works with it too. So it was like he was learning about it as we went, which makes me believe it truly was a new model.

was it $199, and please update us when you get it

A 1000 GB hard drive wont fix the problems DTV has had with this HR2* series. Fix the DVR first! Then add to the recording capacity, or any other frills. My new replacement HR21 is soooo slow its pathetic.

Eagerly waiting for my contract to end.

For me the HR21 is wonderful. After coming from the MOXI and motorola (TWC) with tv guide software the HR21 is fast and easy to use. Those boxes were slow, clunky and buggy. moxi was ok(no guide) but motorola was so bad. For example if I dvred a series on hbo and watched and delete it, it would still record the same episode all week long. For all the faults of the HR21 it is still miles ahead of cable dvrs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)