Any Sling Improvements in Hopper 3?

redman042

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Folsom, California (95630)
Is there any news whether the Hopper 3 will have improved performance streaming content to remote devices? I'm using a first-generation Hopper with external Sling module and I find that performance varies pretty widely when accessing content remotely from my smartphone. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's glitchy. The audio is never all that great. I have a 24/2 mbps U-Verse internet at home and access content from the latest model iPhone with LTE, or over wifi, or within the house.

I know there are many factors affecting performance, but I'm thinking/hoping that the Sling hardware/software on the Hopper could have been improved - perhaps a better codec, better compression, etc. Any news on this?

I put in my request for an upgrade. We'll see what happens.

This seems like as good a place as any to ask a question: I also have a first-gen Hopper w/external sling adaptor. It has no direct connection to my home network - it's using MOCA. My HWS is connected to my network and the Internet via Ethernet cable. I could have sworn that I was able to access the first Hopper remotely with Dish Anywhere at one time but cannot any longer. Should I be able to? Any ideas what I might be missing? Thanks!

This seems like as good a place as any to ask a question: I also have a first-gen Hopper w/external sling adaptor. It has no direct connection to my home network - it's using MOCA. My HWS is connected to my network and the Internet via Ethernet cable. I could have sworn that I was able to access the first Hopper remotely with Dish Anywhere at one time but cannot any longer. Should I be able to? Any ideas what I might be missing? Thanks!
You should be able. Do you have bridge mode turned on, on the HWS? Does it not show up at all?

I have bridging set to enable on the HWS, disabled on the H2K .... Whether I use the app or browser, I see "family room" but cannot connect there. The H2K does show Internet. Does the sling adapter have a (red) indicator light? I can't remember .. Nothing lit on mine.

Ok - I bet the Sling has bit the dust. I couldn't remember if it had a light or not (it's not very obvious from looking at the adapter).

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)