Any tips/ suggestions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RGJ4vols

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Dish is now offering locals in HD for my area (chattanooga). When calling Dish they are not offering any upgrades for existing customers (or so I was told) without charge. I have been a customer for 3 years with no upgrades. I think it is the least they can do to offer me a free upgrade so I can get the locals in HD (IMO). Any suggestions? I am considering switching to DirectTV, at least that way I can get the new customer deals.

What are they trying to charge you? Or do you mean free as in no monthly charge?

Anyway, ask to be shifted to retention and they may cut you a deal.

What are they trying to charge you? Or do you mean free as in no monthly charge?

Anyway, ask to be shifted to retention and they may cut you a deal.

I am willing to pay the HD access fee and programing fee. I feel they should allow me to upgrade my receivers for free though (since I have been a customer for 3 years with no upgrades).

I am willing to pay the HD access fee and programing fee. I feel they should allow me to upgrade my receivers for free though (since I have been a customer for 3 years with no upgrades).

You're kidding, right??

You really think you should get HD receivers for free??

Hell's Bells, don't stop there!! Call Wal-Mart and tell them you've been shopping there for years and years and years and they should give you an HD TV for free.

And while you're at it, you call the local car dealer that you bought your last 4 cars from and tell them they should lease you a brand new 2008 car for free.

You're kidding, right??

Hell's Bells, don't stop there!! Call Wal-Mart and tell them you've been shopping there for years and years and years and they should give you an HD TV for free.

And while you're at it, you call the local car dealer that you bought your last 4 cars from and tell them they should lease you a brand new 2008 car for free.

:up :up :up :up :up :up

You're kidding, right??

Yes, I do. To keep my business they should allow me to upgrade my equipment. I am willing to sign contract. Heck, DTV allows upgrades every 6 months with good standing, which is why I am probably moving to DTV.

And they do allow you to upgrade your equipment. Why should they give it you for free though. A new receiver often requires different LNBs, cabling, or even a dish. The DIU fee they charge is really quite reasonable if a tech has to roll to your location.

I know I know, the motto is now
I WANT I WANT I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!
AND IM NOT PAYING.

Im sure direct just launches a receiver at your front door for free every 6 months too.

RGJ4vols

I semi-agree with you. And aren't satellite companies competing with cable companies as well. I don't remember having to buy all this equipment to have cable. Maybe I'm wrong; I haven't had cable in forever.

And they do allow you to upgrade your equipment. Why should they give it you for free though. A new receiver often requires different LNBs, cabling, or even a dish. The DIU fee they charge is really quite reasonable if a tech has to roll to your location.

I know I know, the motto is now
I WANT I WANT I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!
AND IM NOT PAYING.

Im sure direct just launches a receiver at your front door for free every 6 months too.

Exactly, I WONT pay! If they want to continue making $97 a month on me they will upgrade me. I am in the driver seat on this one. They need me way more than I need them. Heck, I can switch to Cable or DirectTV. At least Direct will allow you to upgrade your equipment every 6months. Cable charges no upgrade fees or commitments. Bottom line if they want to continue having a customer who has never been late, then they will jump through my hoops (which upgrading to a HD DVR is not unreasonable). It would be totally different if DISH was the only provider of HD television. The idea that I am supposed to just accept their shenanegans and pay the piper is crazy. I am not sure if you are in business or not, but let me just say this. The consumer drives the price, not the other way around.

Consumers don't drive the price. Supply vs. demand does.

Customers who demand free free free all the time end up being more hassle than they are worth. Good luck with that though.

I don't think allowing an on time loyal customer who wants to upgrade an HD DVR is unreasonable especially if you sign another contract with them. I don't see how that's demanding free ALL THE TIME.

I got a free HD DVR simply by asking for Customer Retention and then mentioning the deal I could get with Dtv. You just have to call and request Customer Retention, (some CSR's will tell you there is no such thing, just hang up, call back and talk to another CSR)......should do the trick for you!:)

Consumers don't drive the price. Supply vs. demand does.

Customers who demand free free free all the time end up being more hassle than they are worth. Good luck with that though.

You basically backed up what I said,...even though you did not realize it. You can have all the supply in the world ( DISH, CABLE, DIRECT ) but it the demand must be there by the "customer" . So, as I said, the customer or consumer drives the price. Take gas prices for instance. Why do they charge over $4 a gallon now? Because the demand is there. They know we have to have gas and have become reliant on it. There is no true alternative right now. The opposite is true with Dish. There are tons of alternatives out there. AT&T is likely to drop them. They are already number #2 in satelitte. They already are outsourcing alot of their CS to foreign markets to save money. I can continue, but the bottom line is if you are willing to accept paying for upgrades simply because you have been conditioned too, then go ahead. It would be totally different if I were buying it and wanting it for free. The main point,....DISH is the ONLY service requesting you to pay when you want to upgrade. Why??? Because they are hurting!!! I know this is a bit off topic, but realizing that we consumers drive the prices should be something that everyone realizes. As for my situation with Dish, I called and made the switch to DirectTV. Simply, I refuse to be in partnership with a company that does not value their customers any more than Dish does. Thanks for all the post though!

Seeing you switched to D* and a 2 year contract please keep us informed what they "GIVE" you for free upgrades every 6 months!!!!!!!!!!

This isn't going to be a cheap education. And it shouldn't be.

You act as though this is my first rodeo dealing with businesses. It is certainly not. Trust me, if DirectTV mistreats me then I will deal with it when it comes. As for the education part of it,.....experience is always the best educator. Through my experiences with Dish, they do not value you in the least (taking Voom away, never giving real upgrade offers to their customers, etc). You see, education needs to take place on their part. Because paying around 1,200k a year is certainly not cheap (as you put it) and DISH lost that money because they would not upgrade me. So, this is the way I see it.... I have paid around 3,600k to Dish on time and they could not give me a $150 perk? I can assure you, if more people were like me with this,... this issue would not be a problem.

By the way, I have NEVER upgraded with dish. I certainly have no desires to upgrade with DirectTV either, but the fact that they do allow upgrades based on payment history is something that DISH should adopt. Thanks again for the dialogue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)