Any truth to rumor "E" cancelled scheduled news conferences at CES?

No I do not believe that is true, in fact just 10 minutes ago I got a phone call from the director of marketing for VOOM who wanted to make sure I was going to be at the press conference. (Which is also Dish Network press conference.)

I just called Marc Lumpkin and Mark Cicero about this. I am awaiting their reply now.

Scott Greczkowski said:
No I do not believe that is true, in fact just 10 minutes ago I got a phone call from the director of marketing for VOOM who wanted to make sure I was going to be at the press conference. (Which is also Dish Network press conference.)

I just called Marc Lumpkin and Mark Cicero about this. I am awaiting their reply now.

Thanks Scott. I figured we'd better get the right person chasing this down :D.

Ok I just got an email from Mark Cicero from Dish.

The rumor is false, the press conference is on scedule.

SatelliteGuys will be there covering it for you!

The Internet's greatest strength: The ability for anyone to communicate with a large audience quickly.

The Internet's greatest weakness:The ability for anyone to communicate with a large audience quickly. :)

Only on the internet would one anonymous guy saying "I heard..." with no source generate so much communication. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
M Sparks said:
The Internet's greatest strength: The ability for anyone to communicate with a large audience quickly.

The Internet's greatest weakness:The ability for anyone to communicate with a large audience quickly. :)

Only on the internet would one anonymous guy saying "I heard..." with no source generate so much communication. :rolleyes:

Hey, I ain't anonymous :eek: and I said who said it - even provided the link ! Plus I didn't post it in the general forum - I put it here so we could get our trusted people on it:D . nag, nag, nag

edit: opps - sh*t, thought I'd posted the origional in the Pub - dang, it's time to call it a day.

Last edited:
Here is a copy of the email I got. (I couldnt post it before as I was on my cell phone, PDA mode rocks!) :D
Scott,

I apologize for the e-mail. I keep trying your number and it just keeps ringing. That rumor is false. We are having our press conference at 11 a.m. Thursday. No changes to report.

Best,

Mark Cicero
Corporate Communications Manager
EchoStar Communications Corporation and DISH Network

A little off topic, but I also love the PDA mode. It could still use a couple of small tweeks, but I have really appreciated it over the past couple of weeks (when I was traveling for the holidays and away from a high speed connection and I didn't feel like dialing in). Thanks for that addition Scott!!!

Be careful what you read over there. Another post in that thread at AVS claims that "federal law (SHVERA) requires any satelllite system with over five million subscribers to provide LIL" and that the cable companies had that put in, presumably to prevent satellite from dropping LIL to increase HD bandwidth.

In reality, SHVERA only requires D* and E* to offer LIL to "a State that is not part of the contiguous United States"--that is, Alaska and Hawaii; that was at the behest of Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska to assure his state got full LIL coverage. (He got several other provisions into SHVERA as well, including one that overturned an FCC decision revoking an Alaskan broadcaster's license.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts