Any Voom installs in Los Angeles and surrounding areas?

Dreamin about da HD

:no Well, just got thru watching Lassiter on D*. Cant but wonder what the quality will be like once I get voom.... 6 days and counting. Why is the time going so slow? :no

Hawkster,

My guess is the one area you'll have issues with are your OTA signal. You have some nice sized mountains between you and Mt. Baldy.

Whats OTA signal?

Not sure what OTA stands for but Im guessing my local stations. When I talked to Thomas he said that being in Sherman Oaks he will be using the feed from Pasadena and says he finds that to be the best to use.

I am in Irvine, CA. I have ordered Voom for a friend BUT I am holding out until VOOM HD DVR becomes available. I have researched last year for OTA reception in Orange County (40+ miles to Mt. Wilson) and to my surprise, the best antenna was cheap UFH only Radio Shack antenna for $23. I didn't even have to mount it outside - it's sitting in my attic and with Samsung HD Tuner SIR-T165, it's GREAT!!! As soon as VOOM DVR becomes available, I will replace Samsung HD Tuner and ReplayTV with VOOM - and finally, I will have ONE machine for many things... I have had Pioneer Plasma 50" since end of 2002 and I must say I watched only sports (Masters in Augusta was AMAZING) in HDTV and can't wait for VOOM...

I would be interested in knowing if I should tell the installer to try their standard OTA antenna at all or simply hook up existing antenna to it - I hope you don't need two COAX cables from attic to main VOOM box.

Got my voom installed about a week ago. I live in Hermosa Beach California, The installation was hell (installer very unprepared and unknowledgeable), but now that its installed its working great. I get all OTA channels without issues. The only issue's with the service i've had seem to be related to the old software (just being buggy), which was just upgraded lastnight (didn't realize i had to leave the box in standby). Other then that its been great.

Got my Voom exactly 2 weeks ago. Install was good. Even got a call from the installer 1 day ahead to remind me of the appointment. Gave me exact time of his arrival. Took about 2 hours to finish. Job was very professional. Cleaned up, picked up all the mess, even small wire stripping. OTA works great. So far, I'm satisfied. I called to have my other room installed with voom. I'm dropping my Comcast. I Live in Lomita, CA. about 8 miles south of Hermosa Beach.

djjsin said:
Got my voom installed about a week ago. I live in Hermosa Beach California, The installation was hell (installer very unprepared and unknowledgeable), but now that its installed its working great. I get all OTA channels without issues. The only issue's with the service i've had seem to be related to the old software (just being buggy), which was just upgraded lastnight (didn't realize i had to leave the box in standby). Other then that its been great.

Hey Dee,

Did you get your update? How's the STB now? I'm curious what your signal strength for OTA is?

Thanks, Lee

FASTHOW

Sorry about your trees obstructing the Voom dish. Did they try the highest point on your house? Also consider a chain saw solution. If none of this works request the larger dish immediately. It's worth it!

Anybody know about VOOM in La Verne, CA? Directly east of my house I have power lines at eye level when I stand on the roof. Due west I have mountains between me and Mt Wilson, where all of the OTA channels are. I am hopeful that the installer will be able to find the satellite and also get some of the OTA channels, but I know that I have some big obstacles on both signal paths. I have pre-run two RG-6 cables and fished them through the attic and walls to help the installation scheduled for June 15. At this point I only have 1 STB ordered, waiting the outcome of the installation to decide whether to wire the rest of the house.

i live in hawthorne..got ota channel issues with the installer here now..
for some reason only one channel..7.3 shows in full screen. anyone else having issues where the picture is "surrounded" by a black border/box?
also cannot get cbs or nbc..

loki194018 said:
for some reason only one channel..7.3 shows in full screen. anyone else having issues where the picture is "surrounded" by a black border/box?

I'd ask for a different OTA, which one is he trying to install?
You also might need a mast or pole and a amp.

check your info at antennaweb.org

loki194018 said:

I got the same problem with my old TV set (non-HD). I have changed the picture setup (I can't remember what setting, I think Stretched - Squeeze) now I only have 2 black vertical bars on each side. I have not mess with the voom box resolution yet. It might fix it. I don't think it has something to do with the OTA. It seems like it treats 4:3 format tv like 16:9 or everything that the voom box sends to the tv is 16:9. It's perfect on my wide-screen format hdtv. I get all channels from 2 - 62 (Southbay CA). Sometimes you have to wait for a while before some channels get in. Longest I waited was a few hours before NBC was received.

sorry it took me so long

Sorry it took me so long to reply,

Yes I am now running the 5.68 firmware (or whatever the newest was). All my problems seem to have gone away (except for the occasional bug, mis mapped channel, no signal, but i just unplug the box, plug it back in, and all works great again).

The Antenna Signal Strength is ranges from 40-47, and I have no issue's with any of the OTA channels. My satellite signal now stay's pretty strong at 97, before the upgrade it was at about 60.

djjsin said:
Sorry it took me so long to reply,

Yes I am now running the 5.68 firmware (or whatever the newest was). All my problems seem to have gone away (except for the occasional bug, mis mapped channel, no signal, but i just unplug the box, plug it back in, and all works great again).

The Antenna Signal Strength is ranges from 40-47, and I have no issue's with any of the OTA channels. My satellite signal now stay's pretty strong at 97, before the upgrade it was at about 60.

I'm having those same issuee and am thinking about getting out. The moto box is not great.

hey guys, i got voom installed with the new software revision and cant seem to pick up KNBC... either it doesnt tune when i turn to ch.4 or it gives me ktla-hd... this may be related to the fact that when i scan for OTA channels, it shows that it picked up KNBC on RF 36 and 37, is there anyway to fix this?

golem said:
hey guys, i got voom installed with the new software revision and cant seem to pick up KNBC... either it doesnt tune when i turn to ch.4 or it gives me ktla-hd... this may be related to the fact that when i scan for OTA channels, it shows that it picked up KNBC on RF 36 and 37, is there anyway to fix this?

What is your OTA signal strenght?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts