Any Way To Add External Storage to X1 ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AJF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Just switched to Comcast from Dish and so far I absolutely love it. The only problem is that the HD fills up pretty quickly. Any way to expand storage?

Nope, that is where their great On Demand and Apps on the Roku helps out, no reason to record things like Game of Thrones and any other premium show that you don't have to worry about commercials to fast forward thru.

Save the space on the HD and watch them on the way I mentioned above, heck GOT looks better on the Roku via HBO GO and sounds better because it is in Dolby Digital Plus vs regular DD on the X1.

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce, I'll see if I can change how I view some of my shows, but it seems whenever I use VOD there are commercials that I can't skip over. I thought they were going to have "Cloud Recording" so you don't even need to have local recordings? Maybe that was another cable company.

Thanks Bruce, I'll see if I can change how I view some of my shows, but it seems whenever I use VOD there are commercials that I can't skip over. I thought they were going to have "Cloud Recording" so you don't even need to have local recordings? Maybe that was another cable company.
I've heard that's in the works but don't quote me on that

The X2/X3 are supposed to support cloud recording (announced in June 2013).

I recall that when Cablevision announced that they wanted to do cloud recording the content owners were up-in-arms because the carrier isn't allowed to keep copies as that was against their carriage agreements (at the time). In the end, the Supreme Court refused to hear the case and Cablevision won.

I also recall that the content owners went after dish more recently as they were "obviously" using DISH copies to establish their AutoHop timing.

Last I checked the X1 DVRs in my area had ports for EHDs but they weren't enabled.

Like pretty much everything Comcast promises, it will be years before it lands everywhere (assuming it launches in the first place).

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

The current version of cloud recording simply enables watching recordings on other devices and away from home. The programs are still recorded to the hard drive of the X1.

As a former Dish customer external hard drive support is about the only thing I miss from Dish.

Me too. I think the X1's UI and features are fantastic. I thought the voice search would be a waste but I use it all the time. I also subscribed to their Home security system which I also think is great.

Reactions: Tyralak
Oh the other thing I miss is the skip forward button on my Dish remotes. The FF is annoying and takes forever, the page UP button skips too far ahead so I have to skip back about 7 times or so. Am I missing another way to skip forward?

Oh the other thing I miss is the skip forward button on my Dish remotes. The FF is annoying and takes forever, the page UP button skips too far ahead so I have to skip back about 7 times or so. Am I missing another way to skip forward?

Yes the Page Up and Page Down buttons can be changed to skip forward 30 seconds and skip back 10 seconds. On the remote press Exit three times then enter 0030. That sequence will change the channel to 30 but will also tell the receiver to change the action of the page up and down buttons during playback. You are not actually changing the remote but the way the receiver responds to the button pushes.

Reactions: Tyralak and AJF
Yes the Page Up and Page Down buttons can be changed to skip forward 30 seconds and skip back 10 seconds. On the remote press Exit three times then enter 0030. That sequence will change the channel to 30 but will also tell the receiver to change the action of the page up and down buttons during playback. You are not actually changing the remote but the way the receiver responds to the button pushes.
Perfect thanks klang! Works great, IMO that should be the default setting.

Cloud playback right now was just enabled as a fail safe. So if a recording playback fails on the local HDD it will play it from the cloud without the user knowing. The only way you can tell is next to the DVR symbol on the bottom right of the timeline , you will see a cloud logo. The XG2 STB is enabled to take advantage of full cloud recording and playback but has not been enabled yet. Comcast should begin to rollout full Cloud by sometime next year hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tyralak
Get a TiVo. 1000 times better than the X1 platform.

You may spend $500 for the TIVO plus $100 for each mini, but the savings on the HD TECH FEE, additional outlet and rental fees will pay for its self.

I got a TiVo with 5 minis. $60 per month savings, already paid for its self.

Reactions: Rey

The nice thing about that, is it also makes it where you can skip commercials in on demand programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)