any way to force guide update or timer schedule rebuild?

Chuck14

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
My Hopper has been doing some strange things ever since it updated to S221 earlier this week. Tonight when I look at the Daily Schedule, I see a bunch of items that say "No Info Available" as the title. If I point at them with the cursor, it does display an icon and a description on the right side of the screen, but it's bogus. The descriptions indicate 1 hour shows, but the items are scheduled as large blocks of time like 4-6 hours.

I suspect the guide data has been corrupted but I can't figure out how to make it download a fresh copy. It used to be the running a check switch would cause an immediate guide download, but the Hopper appears to have gotten "smart" enough to determine that 's it's still got the same three satellites as before, so no need to fetch the guide again. That would actually be a nice addition if the guide data was OK in the first place... :)

I've also tried a red button reboot and pulling the plug tonight. Nothing has changed. I'm considering doing a factory reset and then wait overnight for it to do its nightly update. Maybe that will get it sorted out.

I had the same issue and the only thing I got from the techs was that the Hopper will download guide data if the system is not being used for ten minutes. (recording/joeys using tuners/etc) I actually tried this and left the room for about forty five minutes after the reset and my guide data was up to date when i came back.

On many of the other Dish receivers, if putting in standby or resetting didn't work, then doing a check switch would also force a guide download. I have yet to try this on a Hopper, so if someone who has could chime it.

Running a check switch test on the Hopper will not force a guide download. As MikeD said the only way to do this is to put the Hopper in standby.

Putting the Hopper in standby is NOT solving the issue for me. Since the S221 update, I am having this issue, and I have had the Hopper in standby several times for several hours to overnight. No joy.

Is there a way to get to resend the S221 update to the receivers in case it was corrupted somehow? I live in an area that has had internet and satellite interruptions, even for milliseconds, in the last few days due to storms. Any way that could have caused some problems, and if so, how do we get the update resent?

So last night I decided to reset to factory defaults and then turned the Hopper off about midnight. I also made sure nothing was scheduled to record for the next few hours (by manually skipping a bunch of the bogus timer entries it had created) so that the nightly update would not be interrupted. This morning the daily schedule was completely back to normal. I don't know if the factory reset made any difference or not, but it definitely seems to have rebuilt the daily schedule overnight.

I forgot to mention that even last night when the daily schedule was screwed up, the guide listings were present even if I scrolled forward in time with the fast forward button as far as it would grow. So I'm not sure the guide data was corrupted, just the daily schedule.

Is there a way to get to resend the S221 update to the receivers in case it was corrupted somehow? I live in an area that has had internet and satellite interruptions, even for milliseconds, in the last few days due to storms. Any way that could have caused some problems, and if so, how do we get the update resent?
That would be a great option. I've pointed out in other threads that this could solve a lot of problems people are having.

With every SW release we see some people complain of some bug, while others say that never happens to them. There could only be two likely reasons for this, differences in HW or differences in SW. The differences in HW would be due to QA/QC issues in internal components, which is a possibility. But, the difference in SW between two machines running the same version could only be due to a corrupted update. And, the only way to find out is to re-install.

The last time I had a SW update resent to me, it was on my 922, and the tech had to request that Dish do it. I know that if I call Dish and ask for this for the Hopper, I am either going to get a lot of head scratching or an outright refusal. This should be a simple request allowed even via chat support. Maybe place a limit of three times per customer unless there are extreme circumstances dictating otherwise, so that some people do not endlessly request this (you know, the non-technically savvy people that drive their relatives crazy complaining when their web browsers don't work properly).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts