Any Way to Salvage Programming from Dying Receiver

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
My 722 receiver started going into the reboot from hell situation after 4-5 years of faithful service. I have a new receiver coming. Is there any way I can salvage my programming? At first if I let it cool I could get it to run for an hour so I did get some programming transferred to an external. But now it will not run long enough to get anymore off? Any suggestions or do am I chalking this up as a loss?

Also, for future reference, I' confirming there is no way to "back up" your programming right? It's either on external or internal drives? So even if I had all my programming on an external I could have lost it with the failure of an external driver?

Thanks

Brian

As as suggestion, be sure it isn't the fan that died or that for what ever reason it isn't cooling properly. If you can turn it off, let it be cool, then put a fan on it to keep it cool after starting it again, see if that stops the reboots or at least lets it run longer to transfer programs to an external drive.
You can clone an external hard drive by the way.

Yeah I put a big box fan on it but no can do. It's only lasting 10 minutes now before it begins rebooting.

When you say clone a hard drive if I clone the drive thats in there and pop it into a new 722 on the way that will work?

No, forget it. You can't clone the internal drive...and if you tried, you'd end up buying the receiver.

It would be nice to back up programing from the dvr. I have some news program's were my son's was on for different things that i would like to get off the dvr to keep. it was for boy scouts.

Thanks,
John

Well you can do that John on an external drive.

I'm looking for a true backup situation in case the receiver and/or the external fail.

I don't even know if this is possible, can you use a laptop and port in via the USB ports and drag and drop the files onto the laptop and then drag and drop back into the new DVR?

I don't even know if this is possible, can you use a laptop and port in via the USB ports and drag and drop the files onto the laptop and then drag and drop back into the new DVR?

No. The only "backup" option is to record to DVD; not ideal, but the only answer. In particular for folks with family members on TV shows, etc., get them on DVD if you want a permanent copy.

Yeah I put a big box fan on it but no can do. It's only lasting 10 minutes now before it begins rebooting.

When you say clone a hard drive if I clone the drive thats in there and pop it into a new 722 on the way that will work?

My response was you can clone an external hard drive, not the internal one. You asked about if an EHD fails.......... That can and has been done. Nothing you can do about the internal one.

If not in voilation of my Dish contract, would someone explain how to "clone" an EHD? When I plugged an EHD from my 722 into my computer, the computer didn't see the drive at all. I remember seeing that the formatting done by Dish to the new EHD when it's connected is Linux.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)