Any word from Dish on 3D?

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
Did a quick search, didn't see any news from Dish Network on if/when to expect 3D offerings from them. 3D being all the buzzworthiness these days, and D* being all 'in yer face' about their eagerness to bring some.

Anyone have the scoop on E*3D?

I talked with Dish about it at CES. Adding a HD channel is the same as adding a HD channel, it does not require anything special on the uplinks end.

At the moment there is no content in 3D available other then the 5 miniute 3D loop DIRECTV was showing at CES.

When 3D gets content it will be easy for Dish to add it, and like DirecTV one will be a PPV channel. (Let me hear you say OH JOY!) ;)

Would that Mits be circular polarized or shutter based?
Interesting question. I would imagine because of the cost and the hit on intensity, no polarizers will exist on any 3D-ready sets. Probably they won't be found on any 3D sets ever, but I'm less sure about that since somebody could take leave of their senses and do it anyway. Shutters are a way to foist the major costs into the future and onto the customer.

Haven't got a clue Navy.:confused: It's a newer Mitz DLP & is supposed to be 3D ready although I fully realize that there will be additional hardware required and it probably won't be cheap...........:rolleyes:;)

Ed

I have a New Mitsubishi DLP 3D ready (according to documentation) also, built in August of 2009.

I have searched the manual over and can not find any reference to whether it is circular polarized or shutter based?

This I did find in the manual, maybe someone can comment on what this means because I have no idea and am still in the learning process of this 3D technology.

[quote:From Mitsubishi Manual]
1. To see 3D video, the signal must be 1080p 60 Hz.

2. To display 3D images, Mitsubishi Home Theater DLP TVs require that source devices support checker-board display formats for 3D gaming or 3D cinema content. A 3D standard format does not currently exist for Blu-ray or DVD prepackaged media. Future 3D standards may be incompatible with Mitsubishi Home Theater DLP TVs. Please visit mitsubishi-tv.com for updates and information.
[/quote]

Considering item 2, I would think that the Mitz sets won't be compatible unless a device is made to add to them to make them compatible?

1080p 24

I have a New Mitsubishi DLP 3D ready (according to documentation) also, built in August of 2009.

I have searched the manual over and can not find any reference to whether it is circular polarized or shutter based?

This I did find in the manual, maybe someone can comment on what this means because I have no idea and am still in the learning process of this 3D technology.

[quote:From Mitsubishi Manual]
1. To see 3D video, the signal must be 1080p 60 Hz.

2. To display 3D images, Mitsubishi Home Theater DLP TVs require that source devices support checker-board display formats for 3D gaming or 3D cinema content. A 3D standard format does not currently exist for Blu-ray or DVD prepackaged media. Future 3D standards may be incompatible with Mitsubishi Home Theater DLP TVs. Please visit mitsubishi-tv.com for updates and information.

Considering item 2, I would think that the Mitz sets won't be compatible unless a device is made to add to them to make them compatible?[/QUOTE]

Have a feeling that the 3D will have to be movie frame rate of 24P.

ALL 3D TVs are shutter based. Samsung demoed a polarized 3D TV at CES but it could be a couple of years before it's available to the public. The bigger issue for sat based 3D is the checkerboard 1080p60 signal required by the Mits and Samsung TVs to enter the 3D mode. No Dish Network box currently can output the 1080p60 image needed for discrete 3D on existing TVs.

Actually, it's been posted that LG is promoting circular polarized 3D. And apparently, only LG.

ALL 3D TVs are shutter based. Samsung demoed a polarized 3D TV at CES but it could be a couple of years before it's available to the public. The bigger issue for sat based 3D is the checkerboard 1080p60 signal required by the Mits and Samsung TVs to enter the 3D mode. No Dish Network box currently can output the 1080p60 image needed for discrete 3D on existing TVs.

There will be no 1080p60 (or more accurately 48) signal from DirectTV either. It will still be 1080p24. 3D Blu-ray will be 1080p48. There may be 720p120 or something like that, but there won't be 1080p60 sources except maybe from the PS3.

There will be no 1080p60 (or more accurately 48) signal from DirectTV either. It will still be 1080p24. 3D Blu-ray will be 1080p48. There may be 720p120 or something like that, but there won't be 1080p60 sources except maybe from the PS3.

Other then Blu-ray, satellite delivered 3D will be low Res?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)