Any Word on 522 Available For Sale?

Chris Freeland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Collegedale, TN
Has anyone here heard any info on when 522 will be available for sale to current subs who own their hardware? I want a 522, my E* service has bean turned off for almost a year now do to lack of employment, however I hope to re-activate my E* account in about a month and will need to upgrade at least one of my receivers anyway do to the need for a Superdish for my locals and want to upgrade to a DVR but I want one with 2 tuners but can not justify paying the e-bay price, especially when I could switch to D* and get a D*Tivo and 2 standard receivers for as little as little as $39. I prefer staying with E* because I can already get my locals here now and I can get a full time UPN on E*, if I switch to D* I would have to wait a few more months for locals and would not have a full time UPN.

The bad news: They are not available for sale, and probably never will be. The ones on eBay probably can not be activated.

The good news: If you haven't had an active Dish account for a year, you should be considered a new customer. ;) Coming back into the E* family after a year with the enemy (D*). ;) Do they really need to know what service (or lack thereof) you've had for the last year? ;) :p :shocked :eek: :eek: :D

SimpleSimon said:
The bad news: They are not available for sale, and probably never will be. The ones on eBay probably can not be activated.

The good news: If you haven't had an active Dish account for a year, you should be considered a new customer. ;) Coming back into the E* family after a year with the enemy (D*). ;) Do they really need to know what service (or lack thereof) you've had for the last year? ;) :p :shocked :eek: :eek: :D

I have not had any service for a year, strictly ota, I was just thinking of switching to D* do to the new customer deals and other then being able to get all of my locals now and and the Superstions I would not give up much and would gain a little by switching to D*. I am not sure if I can qulify for the new customer DHA plan at E* or not even though I have bean away for a year. I do not agree that the 522 will never be available to current subs, their have bean reliable reports on these boards before that the 522 would eventualy be made available, the question is when? If I can qulify for somthing like the DHA plan to come back, I wounder if I could re-activate my old equipment untill an installer can come and upgrade me to a SuperDish and bring me the new 522. This would be sweet if I can do this, I now have 3 TV's, and a VCR to be connected and 3 people living under my roof (my wife and I and our 15 year old daughter), a 522 and a 322 to replace my old 2000 and 2700/2800 would be sweet indeed. ;)

There have also been numerous reports on this board that activation of a 522 purchased on Ebay can be activated with no problem. If you want a 522 there are plenty of retailers who will sell you one in spite of what Dish says.

If you want to watch your locals on 121 or 105 without waiting for the Superdish you can do that too, although only on your 2700 I think. Do a search on the "poor man's superdish" for instructions. You can get your old equipment working and have your locals for a minimal investment. I also have two receivers and what I did was to add a 508 into the mix which feeds both TVs via RF channel 3. Now each TV has its own dedicated box plus they can both tune to the centrally located 508. It's almost as good as having a two tuner 522 but way cheaper and less complicated.

Now if I could only convince my wife that we need to replace our still new 508 with a 721... :cool:

I think Dish will eventually offer the 322 and 522 to subscribers, they are just limited on supplies right now and want to reserve them for DHA.

AppliedAggression said:
since money is tight with you, i honestly think it's best if you switched to directv.

That has bean a temptation, however as I noted above that my Chattanooga locals are already on E* and it will be several months yet before they are on D*, they have bean announced to be one of the DMA's going to their new 72.2 location which will require a 2nd dish once their up and D* is still waiting for FCC approval to use this Canadian slot in the States. Also Chattanooga does not have a full time UPN channel and with E* I can get one by subbing to a Superstation for a $1.50/mo. I may just stay with current equipment except for a SuperDish upgrade until 522 is available to current subs hopefully at a good price, and besides if E* does not do this I could always switch next year.

Chris as of April DISH will no longer activate 322/522 purchased off Ebay or else where. They are enforcing DHA activations only. Call DISH and ask if they want you back. For some old customers they will want a $25 fee and two months of programming in advance. Other customers have been welcomed back and given new promotion benefits DISH could welcome you back and allow you to become a DHA customer, only DISH can answer your question of how much they want you back as a customer. Directv will accept you if you have never been a Directv customer before it is an option for you if DISH does not give you a big welcome back.

boba said:
Chris as of April DISH will no longer activate 322/522 purchased off Ebay or else where. They are enforcing DHA activations only. Call DISH and ask if they want you back. For some old customers they will want a $25 fee and two months of programming in advance. Other customers have been welcomed back and given new promotion benefits DISH could welcome you back and allow you to become a DHA customer, only DISH can answer your question of how much they want you back as a customer. Directv will accept you if you have never been a Directv customer before it is an option for you if DISH does not give you a big welcome back.

I know purchasing a 522 by e-bay or even my local dealer or RS is ify at best and I do not want to pay the full msrp any way to get one and then have to play csr roulette to maybe and maybe not get it activated. I was hoping and still hope that sometime soon that E* will either make the 522 or something similar like the rumored 523 would be available for a discount in a new current customer promotion, I was just asking if anyone has heard anything when or if this may still take place? As much demand for the 522 that their seams to be for the 522 by current customers and D*Tivos out their for as little as $39, one would think E* would get the hint and have these available soon for current customers and quit being so hard nosed for non DHA subs getting a 522. I also realize that their is a slight possibility that I could be welcomed back with a DHA like promotion and if I am offered this I likely will take them up on this and get both a 522 and a 322.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)