Any zip code I can "move" to that will allow me to get both Twin Cities stations and distant locals?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
My current "moved" zip code is 55411. But am considering distant locals as well. Would like to keep my Twin Cities stations, but would like to "move" to another zip code if it allows distant network programming since the one I have in the Twin Cities doesn't. So is there any zip code that's in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, or its suburbs, Metro area that will allow both? (Would like to know both zip code and city it's located). Thanks. :)

If you are talking NY or LA as distants.....my post above is that
If you're talking about sig viewed stations (as in both Rochester and Mpls) there is no spot where you'd get both. With the Mpls locals the only extra station you can get is KEYC CBS Mankato and you need to be in Nicollet County (basically North Mankato)

I suppose you could "move" to a market that only has distants and then use an AM21 tuner for MN locals. However, you would lose MN sports and get whatever teams are in the "moved" city.

Zip code 54736 gets you the cities and la crosse locals. Not distant but more locals.

Are you calling in to change the service address?

Already took that guys advise and changed my service address to one with zip code 54736, and now I get more locals with not just the Rochester through my antenna and the Twin Cities through my satellite dish, but now I get La Crosse too as well as a CW from Washington, DC!!!

correct
there is one county in WI that gives you LaCrosse locals and Mpls as Sig Viewed.

But unless you want the packers (ewww) the stations are pretty much the same programming

I am leaning towards considering NY and LA stations since I recently found out I can get Rochester, the Twin Cities, and La Crosse with my OTA antenna. Is there any zip code I can "move" to get both, or at least NY? Does Iceberg or anyone else have an answer to this one?

There are very very few locations that have no LIL on Directv now, and I THINK you'd have to get waivers and deal with the local channels that are in the place you "move" to - probably is kinda risky. I would LOVE NY/LA channels, like you used to be able to get. I had Dish many years ago when you could get this:

Superstations (you can still get these on Dish)
WSBK Boston (My TV38)
WWOR NYC (My9, some get it in HD with superstation pack now, like my parents. Others don't. No idea how that's determined. Yes, I know it's technically from NJ.)
WPIX NYC (CW11)
KWGN Denver (CW)
KTLA Los Angeles (CW 5)

And you could get two affiliates EACH for ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC from the following:
New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, and Los Angeles.

Of course, they paid dearly for that - but it was great! I used to call and change my affiliates all the time for football, weather, other interesting programs, etc.

Last edited:
I don't mean to hijack but does anyone know of a zip that can get both San Antonio AND Austin locals? I know certain area's the cable co's provide both.

Right now I'm getting Dallas OTA (something like 52 channels! not that I an understand them all, lol) and San Antonio via DirecTV, would love to get Austin too.

There are very very few locations that have no LIL on Directv now, and I THINK you'd have to get waivers and deal with the local channels that are in the place you "move" to - probably is kinda risky. I would LOVE NY/LA channels, like you used to be able to get. I had Dish many years ago when you could get this:

Superstations (you can still get these on Dish)
WSBK Boston (My TV38)
WWOR NYC (My9, some get it in HD with superstation pack now, like my parents. Others don't. No idea how that's determined. Yes, I know it's technically from NJ.)
WPIX NYC (CW11)
KWGN Denver (CW)
KTLA Los Angeles (CW 5)

And you could get two affiliates EACH for ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC from the following:
New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, and Los Angeles.

Of course, they paid dearly for that - but it was great! I used to call and change my affiliates all the time for football, weather, other interesting programs, etc.

You can always "move" to NY or LA to get those channels, but only one or the other. To get both as distance locals you'll need to find a rare unserved zip/address to use. There are some unserved areas in NW and SW TX.

Keep running addresses though this to find them: http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressForm.aspx

Eligibilty review for the following:
100 E MAIN ST
SONORA, TX 76950-2613
Distant Network Service
NetworkAffiliateStatus
ABC Eligible
CBS Eligible
FOX Eligible
NBC Eligible
PBS Eligible
CW Eligible

Last edited:
You can always "move" to NY or LA to get those channels, but only one or the other. To get both as distance locals you'll need to find a rare unserved zip/address to use. There are some unserved areas in NW and SW TX.

Keep running addresses though this to find them: http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressForm.aspx

Eligibilty review for the following:
100 E MAIN ST
SONORA, TX 76950-2613
Distant Network Service
Network
Affiliate
Status
ABC
Eligible
CBS
Eligible
FOX
Eligible
NBC
Eligible
PBS
Eligible
CW
Eligible

I have to be in the spotbeam, right? If I am correct I wouldn't get a Texas signal from Rochester, MN or am I mistaken?

There are no locals to get so spotbeams don't matter, you would get the Distant networks, via CONUS. You then would get whatever locals you get OTA.
(The idea is to find an area that is not served by locals)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)