Anybody got a good fried rice (Japanese) recipe?

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
For Christmas I was given a wok. This for the express purpose of me learning how to fry rice like they do it at the Japanese steakhouses (Stix is the only nationally known one I can think of, there may be others). The place where they put on a performance. I need a good recipe.

I know you boil the rice ahead of time, scramble some eggs, butter, plop the rice on top with a few veggies mixed in. Then they stir it up and add some sesame seeds and a couple different brown sauces to it that I don't know what they are.

There's also this orange-colored creamy sauce that goes good with it.

Anybody have a good similar recipe for this stuff?

I don't know of any orange sauce thats added to the mix but be sure to chop up the fried egg into small bits and also add chopped carrots along with pea's and maybe mushrooms. The brown sauces can range from soy to fish sauce and sesame sauce as well. One thing you need to do is keep stirring and tossing it, you can also add a can of the tiny shrimp as well which I have had it like that and you can go with traditional mushrooms or not so traditional such as wood mushroom or my favorite ear mushroom found here Chinese Food Recipes - Types of Mushrooms Used in Chinese Cooking though it goes well with duck.

No, not added to the mix, at the restaurants I frequent they provide a brown "ginger sauce" and an orange colored "yum yum sauce" on the side - the yummy one is what I want, I have found that added to the rice it tastes mighty good.

By the way, I'm an idiot. I just realized there is a "what's cooking" subforum, mod please move this there if you don't mind.

Hey, that might be it!

That recipe also covers cooking the rice so I think this will be what I use for my first attempt.

Update. Only took four months, finally got around to trying this last night.

The yum yum sauce from the link Bobby posted turned out very close to what I was wanting but too much like mayonnaise. I imagine with a few alterations as to the amount of the different spices I could get there.

The rice was not that great, but not disgusting at least. The only brown sauce I had was the soy sauce and I wonder what other types of brown sauce and spices might be useful for such a dish.

Next time we go to our favorite place we will take copious notes on the ingredients and technique.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts