Anybody gotten a 921 lately???

According to Charlie Chat last night, the 921's are now in double production. Sounds like that if you order one now, it will take 60 days to receive it. Does this mean that rather than manufacture one receiver a day, the are now manufacturing two receivers a day? I've been waiting for over two months for the 921. Too bad that the Hughes 10-250 is as available as the 921. If the 10-250 were available today, I think that i would quickly switch to Direct.

We just got another small shipment today, I will be calling people from the list tommorow.

Because DishStore.NET IS HONORING our list we need to call everyone and if we get a machine we leave a message if we do not hear back from that person by the next day we think they dont want it.

Hopefully a few SatelliteGuys Members will get that call tommorow. We are still filling orders from October.

FYI - I called a Dish retailer today in Livonia Michigan who claims to be the largest volume dealer in MI, who told me that he has yet to receive his first 921. Well so much for volume..... :D

Guess I will continue to wait for a call from Scott !!!!!

Picking up my 921 in about 30 minutes.

My local dealer was finally able to order and receive a 921 from Dish. He is downloading software now and I am heading over to pick it up. :D I won't be able to hook it up until I change a few things in my home network system. Hopefully tonight after work and other commitments. Wish me luck! :D

I scored my 921 early last week. So far it has missed a few timers, and rebooting can be dicey. BUT, after I put an antenna in my attic today (90 degrees outside, HOTHOTHOT in the attic), I have 7 OTA stations along with the HD pack, and I'll tell you this, HD is SWEET. Can't wait to see how this thing gets better in the future!!

My 921 arrived this afternoon.

I haven't been able to play with it too much because the weather is HOT (83 - yes we consider that HOT in Seattle).

First of all, I was VERY impressed with the service from Scott and Claude. They even had UPS send an e-mail to notify me that the package was delivered. I've never had anybody turn on this notification before. Since I live in a marina, somebody in the office accepts packages, not me. Ordinarily I don't know if the package has been delivered unless I keep checking the UPS tracking web page.

So far,

1. Haven't been able to get 1080i output working on the DVI cable with my NEC 50MP2. I get "illegal signal" on the TV. 720p works fine.

2. Haven't been able to get RGB working thru my DVI/RGB splitter cable. The DVI side of the splitter works fine.

3. The speed of the guide is FAST compared to my 501 and 6000.

4. The 921 is much quieter than my 501.

5. My digital locals are great. I live less than two miles from some of the transmitters, and less than five miles from the rest, so that may help. Haven't tried recording yet.

6. I miss the grey bars on the side of 4:3 programming that I don't want to watch stretched.

7. Some of the setup functions require that "done" be pressed before you can flip to another function. The 501 and 6000 just let you flip.

8. The HD picture from the 921 via the DVI cable is much better than my 6000 via component.

9. The SD picture from the 921 via the DVI cable is much better than my 501 via s-video. Yes, I know it should be.

I'll fool around with it and report more. Some of these things may have been reported already. I've not done an exhausting search in the forum. I wanted to give quick first impressions.

I just took delivery of a 921 from Dishdepot today (Monday). I guess they got the 18 or so we heard about. I was somewhere around 20 on the list but many people in front of me had given up.

Unfortunately I'm out of town and so it will be a few days before I can check out my new toy.

bradleys said:
... 6. I miss the grey bars on the side of 4:3 programming that I don't want to watch stretched.
Have you tried the "*" (Format) button on the remote? Depending on which variation of 4:3 issue you're talking about, it might be what you want. If the provider is black-barring the 4:3 into 16:9, you're stuck, but in normal HD mode of SD content, you can "*" your way to Gray Bar mode. :)

Hey BradleyS, I'm in Renton, so I'm feeling your heat too. I would second Simon's idea of using the * button to try changing formats.

I'm getting 1080I into my TV, but yours may just not accept it. The 921 will scale everything appropriately to 720P, which some claim is better anyway.

If you enjoy watching local news at all, I highly suggest KOMO 4. They produce their whole show in HD, the only one in town that does it all. The only up converted stuff they have is video from other cities. It's a real pleasure to watch.

I don't think people have given up on getting a 921.

But the massive 921 timer problems reported here and elsewhere could have put some people off until they get the software stabilized.

I've given up. I've been on the waitlist since Dec.2. I've come to the conclusion these things don't exist. :-|

Trust me they exist - I have three 921's sitting right next to me. Two are dead but the other one works pretty damned good. I am really very happy with it. I have experienced most of the problems everyone has mentioned but as far as I am concerned they are minor issues.

I gave up when the HD-Tivo came out.

Is there really that much programming on Dish but not on Direct?

If your primary concern is HD and PVR why would you want a 921 let alone why would you wait years for it?

I'm not stuck on Tivo - although it would be very difficult for me to go back to life without it - but the 921 only has 1 semi-functional OTA tuner and with all the problems will it be worth the wait? I was on one list for about 9 months and when the first 921s shipped it was obvious that it was not and is still not ready for public consumption.

I can see people that have already received them keeping them (if they don't care about OTA) but why would people continue to wait? I had to wait about 2 weeks for my HD Tivo but it seems that the availability of HD Tivo is getting better (by the hundreds). The 921 is still trickling out and may be replaced with something else soon.

I'm not slamming 921 owners - I'm just confused :what - if Dish has something better I'd drop DirecTV for them instantly.

cmaier said:
I've given up. I've been on the waitlist since Dec.2. I've come to the conclusion these things don't exist. :-|

cmaier,

I signed onto Dish Depot's waiting list at around the same time as you.

Spoke with Mark at DD today and he has confirmed that he's receiving another large shipment (I think he mentioned 20 units) this week. He said he would be processing my order today, so I'm guessing that he has the units (or will have them very soon) and is busy shipping them out!

I am soon to become a member in the growing club of happily frustrated 921 owners! :D

Regards,
Spence

Mike, for what its worth, my OTA has been great, and I don't even live very close to the transmitters. I know there have been problems for others, but once I got my antenna locked in, I've got every station I would want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)