Anybody having Voom in Carson City, NV ?

hc_spooky

Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Hey,
i'm new here and curious if anybody got a VOOM around Carcon City yet.

thanks.

I am in Truckee, Ca. just a few miles north of you. I got voom last monday, but am still waiting for the Reno channel map.

Vooming in Tahoe

I got Voom in June of this year. No local channels, though. I was supposed to get an outdoor antenna that Voom provides first $50 of cost, but after many missed appointments, installer called and told me that no antenna will bring the local channels at my location.

Otherwise happy with system. ;)

Lots of pixelization. Will be leaving Voom very soon. What a rip-off. :mad: :eek:

Take my advice and run, not walk from Voom! I had Voom (I'll get to that in a sec) and no, no ota. The picture and box wasn't too bad with regular VOOM until they sent an "update". Oh, I live near Mark Twain ES in Carson City.

I bought the $50 certificate at Sears in Reno and VOOM billed me $373. After 25 days, I exercised my right to a $ back guarantee. This was back in April.

The jackels at VOOM refuse to give me back my $! I have made over 15 calls. The responses have varied (" the check is in the mail, we have no record of you, we will exedite your refund, etc"). The last two result in someone apologizing that I haven't gotten my $, just keep on waiting!

My credit card company has credited me with the $ and are awaiting my dispute letter. Sears said that I'll have to get the $50 for that certificate from VOOM. The salesperson there also said that their voom setup gets lots of dropouts when it rains (pos!). When they set up my system, that dish loked like it was pointing DOWN at the street, just to get that weak voom signal. Our famous high winds wrecked havoc on that pathetic VOOM signal. Take some advice from a fellow carsonite- stay away from VOOM! Bad service, bad equipment, bad all around. I pray for the day Charter finally gives us HDTV...

well, thanks for responses.

btw, on the digital cable (charter) i can see the channel 770 (hdnet) good sign..maybe HDTV really getting here :)

Sorry to hear about all of these problems.

DClark, what is the size of your dish? What is your signal strength reading on a clear day? Which software version is on your receiver?

Are there any VOOM success stories in Carson City? I would think that a 24 inch dish would be essential in this area due to the weather factor in CC. I have a house in North Carson City (Lakeview area) that I was thinking about getting VOOMified.

I just had two VOOM receivers installed at my house in San Diego yesterday. I am getting a 99/100 signal, using a 24 inch dish. Both receivers have the latest 7.26 software, although the initial load was 6.00. Reception is excellent here, both for satellite and OTA digital signals. On another positive note, both of the VOOM receivers are more sensitive than the Samsung T150 and LG-3510 receivers that I have used here in San Diego. That's with the same external antennas and RG6 cabling.

VOOM OTA Reception in Carson City

I brought one of my San Diego-based VOOM receivers up to Carson City to check reception of digital OTA stations from the Reno transmitters.

With the VOOM Motorola receiver and an externally mounted Silver Sensor antenna at a single orientation (only 10 feet off the ground, too), I can receive all of the digital stations from Reno at my 89703 zip code location just north of Carson City. I receive ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and an independent station (Digital 21-KAME) with no dropouts. My LG-LST-3510A OTA receiver has equivalent reception results with no dropouts using the Silver Sensor antenna

With the Silver Sensor mounted inside the house, I could only receive about 1/2 of the stations, with both the VOOM and LG receivers. This was the situation despite using a Wineguard 7775 UHF amp and interior mounting results were poor, even with the SS antenna located on the second floor.

Since my wife is really happy with the VOOM Gallery and Equator HD channels, I guess I will be VOOMing forward in Carson City. I will be requesting a 24 inch dish, as that has worked just fine for me through several storms in San Diego.

Does anyone have good or bad installation experiences in the Reno/Carson City/Gardnerville area?

Thanks for any inputs.

VOOM Installation in Carson City

After a three month administrative nightmare with both VOOM and Installs, Inc. to get a 24 inch dish installation scheduled in Carson City, my installation was performed yesterday without a single glitch. The installer from Wright Installations in Sparks showed up right on time and completed a high quality installation in about 4 hours. He was performing as a subcontractor to Installations, Inc.

I have OTA signal strengths in the mid 90s for the following local stations: 2, 4, 5, 8 and 21. I have low 80s to no reception on channels 11 (Fox) and 27. My satellite dish signal strength is a steady 96 on both of the VOOM receivers. My house is in the Lakeview area, a few miles north of Carson City, but another mountain is blocking a clear view to Slide Mountain, where many of the transmitters are located.

Here is what was installed:
24 inch dish with dual LNB feeds (one to each VOOM receiver)
Wineguard "Ghostbuster" UHF/VHF yagi antenna
2 VOOM receivers
Lots of RG6 exterior cabling (as the house is a long single story)

When the installer tried to use a Wineguard Sensar antenna, the signal strength on Channel 8 (ABC) and Channel 5 (PBS) was in the mid-80s. Changing over to the 6-7 foot long Wineguard yagi brought that strength up to the mid 90s.

My wife is very happy that we finally got VOOM alive here in Northern Nevada. Let's all hope the company re-organizes successfully and continues to show Echostar and DirectTV how to do satellite delivery of high definition signals correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts