Anybody in the Louisville, KY - Southern IN area?

milhouse

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
New Albany, IN
I'm still considering Voom. Anybody in the Louisville, KY - Southern IN area have any input on installs, OTA reception, etc?

I live in New Albany, IN. I've had VOOM since December. I was the 2nd VOOM install for the installers who did my install (they did their 1st one the day before). They were very nice but didn't have a clue about VOOM. I brought up a lot of info about VOOM on my computer (from another forum) for them to look at to help them install my system. They didn't have the OTA module. They did run a separate cable for OTA (no diplexer) It probably wouldn't have mattered to my install as I'm just about line of site to the towers on The Knobs although my antenna is in my attic.

There are some great threads on this site that tell you how to prepare for a VOOM install (what to ask and who to call to confirm things) I would definately look those up.

You may have read about OTA channel mapping problems. Fortunately all our local channels are mapped correctly for this area so that's one problem you wont have.

I would advise ordering VOOM directly. Sears still has no clue. The last I checked Sears in Green Tree Mall was still showing Dish Network on the VOOM display. "It looks just like VOOM - all HD looks the same" the salesdroid said.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm very happy with VOOM. I'm looking forward to the DVR.

........... Rick

I just ordered mine today. I live in Jeffersonville. The Sears guys were telling me that Voom was unreliable and that DISH was so much better! When I asked to see Voom in person they turned it on their Mitsu 55" and they only had it displayed in 480p. They also tried to tell me that I would have to pay $50 to them to get a number to order Voom and that Voom would bill me the other $350. They had no clue on the $0 up front. This was at the Sears at Green Tree Mall as well.

Did Kentuckiana Satellite install yours? I have an install date of July 8th. I will be keeping my Directv setup for the wife.

How nice was your installer?

Why not order Voom? I like their no committment no contract $0 up front offer. That's what I took advantage of.

Rick,

Since you live in New Albany, which is kind of like Jeffersonville as far as distance to Louisville goes, how well do you pull in the OTA channels? Are you using the standard OTA antenna that Voom is installing? Did they diplex it in with the Voom?

Neutron said:
Why not order Voom? I like their no committment no contract $0 up front offer. That's what I took advantage of.
QUOTE]

The $0 deal is appealing and I still may try while it's still offered. I just don't want to pay the install (cable fishing) fee and it's been nice having NO bill since we moved. The wife is getting antsy after having nothing for a month and a half.

Neutron said:
Rick,
Since you live in New Albany, which is kind of like Jeffersonville as far as distance to Louisville goes, how well do you pull in the OTA channels? Are you using the standard OTA antenna that Voom is installing? Did they diplex it in with the Voom?
My antenna (Winegard HD7210P) is in my attic. I had it installed before I got VOOM. I only live a few miles from Floyds Knobs where most of the digital towers are so I get WAVE-DT, WHAS-DT, WLKY-DT, WDRB-DT, KET-DT perfectly.

Back when I was installed (December 2003) there was much talk about the diplexer causing problems so just to be safe, I requested that Digital Dimensions run 2 lines and not use the diplexer - which they did at no extra charge. The even did a wall fish for me at no extra charge (turns out they could have).

milhouse said:
Neutron said:
QUOTE]

The $0 deal is appealing and I still may try while it's still offered. I just don't want to pay the install (cable fishing) fee and it's been nice having NO bill since we moved. The wife is getting antsy after having nothing for a month and a half.

How would you have to have the cable fished? How do your cable lines come in from the outside? If your cable lines come outside like mine do, they can use that.

You have until July 6th to get the $0 up front cost. No install fee. It's worth a try anyway since there is no committment.

Rick214 said:
My antenna (Winegard HD7210P) is in my attic. I had it installed before I got VOOM. I only live a few miles from Floyds Knobs where most of the digital towers are so I get WAVE-DT, WHAS-DT, WLKY-DT, WDRB-DT, KET-DT perfectly.

Back when I was installed (December 2003) there was much talk about the diplexer causing problems so just to be safe, I requested that Digital Dimensions run 2 lines and not use the diplexer - which they did at no extra charge. The even did a wall fish for me at no extra charge (turns out they could have).

To make the wife happy since she's making me keep Directv for now (thanks to the DTivo) I promised her no more holes in the wall. So I hope their diplexer works fine.

I'm on the North part of town about 2 miles from I-65 I want to say. I'm closer to the Clarksville side. They rate their antenna to go 30-45 miles around so I should be okay. Do you know if our UPN and WB stations come in over HD as well? If not can you pick up the analog ones?

Neutron said:
Do you know if our UPN and WB stations come in over HD as well? If not can you pick up the analog ones?
I get UPN via WFTE-DT, but I cant get WBKI-DT ... I can get the analog WB signal.

Check out louisvillehdtv.com for some great local station info.

............. Rick

Thanks Rick! I didn't know that this site existed. Do they have other city HDTV sites?

Neutron said:
How would you have to have the cable fished? How do your cable lines come in from the outside? If your cable lines come outside like mine do, they can use that.

You have until July 6th to get the $0 up front cost. No install fee. It's worth a try anyway since there is no committment.

My cable comes in through the basement, but it's old wiring. I'd need upgraded cable for Voom (at least that's my understanding) and they'd have to fish that.

Rick said that he was able to get his installer to fish his cable for no extra charge. Maybe you could ask about it?

Rick,

Thanks for that list! Reason I was asking was for my friend who lives in another state. I will look on AVS forum for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)