Anybody seen the sats????!!!?!?!?!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flyinggreg

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Columbus,OH
Ok, finally got the system installed (Fortec Lifetime Classic NA) and the pole plugged in the ground (with Fortec 80cm and HH90 motor). I even picked up IA5 and scanned it! Newbie's on a role!! The problem is...thats ALL I picked up! Heck, I can't even pickup any of the DSS birds - and I've been warned they're pretty strong. I am kinda getting confused now. Where did all the sats go???? When I picked up IA5, I had it locked with 73%. I then searched for G10R and couldn't find it. When I went back to IA5 all I could get was a bouncing 0-47% without a lock. This actually happened more than once today - now it's been 7 hours. I am cold, tired, and peeved. The biggest problem I have with my setup is that I have a gigantic apartment building right in full view of true south, so I am aiming for a spot on the building where TS should be. I then am using USALS to look for IA5 and then fine tuning out at the mast for the bird. Can anyone help??? BTW, I am using a Invacom QPH031 for my LNB.

Last edited:
Clark Belt

flyinggreg said:
Ok, finally got the system installed (Fortec Lifetime Classic NA) and the pole plugged in the ground (with Fortec 80cm and HH90 motor). I even picked up IA5 and scanned it! Newbie's on a role!! The problem is...thats ALL I picked up! Heck, I can't even pickup any of the DSS birds - and I've been warned they're pretty strong. I am kinda getting confused now. Where did all the sats go???? When I picked up IA5, I had it locked with 73%. I then searched for G10R and couldn't find it. When I went back to IA5 all I could get was a bouncing 0-47% without a lock. This actually happened more than once today - now it's been 7 hours. I am cold, tired, and peeved. The biggest problem I have with my setup is that I have a gigantic apartment building right in full view of true south, so I am aiming for a spot on the building where TS should be. I then am using USALS to look for IA5 and then fine tuning out at the mast for the bird. Can anyone help??? BTW, I am using a Invacom QPH031 for my LNB.

Sounds like your dish setup is not tracking the Clark belt (satellite belt) properly. Usually involves declination, or another setting. it is common on C band to get a Satellite, but have trouble getting others either west, center, or East, if your dish adjustments are off...KU is even more sensitive and you are working with a much smaller dish as well.

I am sure Iceberg or Pete will have a better explanation for you.
Jeff

Good Luck
jeff

It might also be a plumb issue on the pipe. It could be plumb when you get IA5, but as the dish rotates left/right you get some distortion, either because it is out of plumb or the weight of the dish is tilting the pole

Noticed it says your in Columbus, OH

IA5 isnt the TS for Columbus. Its AMC9 at 83 degrees west
It says on the Sadoun site, for a HH90 the elevation should be about 39. There isn’t anything on AMC9 24/7 but there are some data feeds that can help aim the dish

See if any of these are in the transponder setup
Freq pol symbol rate
12140 V 30000
12160 H 30000
12180 V 30000

penguinsix said:
It might also be a plumb issue on the pipe. It could be plumb when you get IA5, but as the dish rotates left/right you get some distortion, either because it is out of plumb or the weight of the dish is tilting the pole
I checked the plumb about 3 times and it checked good. The biggest problem with my TS is that I have my neighbor's townhouse is dead smack at 187 magnetic (180+7W var). So, I can't view my TS satellite. I figured IA5 isn't my TS, but I did pick it up with the dish mover.
Last night, I tried getting Echostar at 119W because the DSS birds are strong, and I did get it. I moved the dish again, and lost it!:mad:
What I am planning to do is set my dish at 187 magnetic again, and get a magnetic angle finder - then set the dish exactly at 39 deg. Then see if I am tracking the Clarke belt. I don't know what else to do because of the other townhouse. Any suggests?

if you cant see your TS, make sure the motor is at 0 and setup your USALS in the receiver setup. Let the motor move from your TS to 97 and then mount dish and aim at IA5

I still can't find IA5 or Echostar 7. I did setup my azimuth for TS at 187 deg mag and then setup AMC9 under USALS. I rotated the dish to look for Echostar 7 but didn't pick anything up. Looking at my neighbor's D* setup, my azimuth looks very close but elevation is low - yet it shows about 37 deg on the mounting bracket and my mast is plumb (with water level and angle finder). I think my bracket is definitely not close in accurate. Any way to use the angle finder to set the proper elevation?

Congrats!!!

flyinggreg said:
Yippeeee!!!!

I FOUND THE CLARKE BELT!!!!!

(I think so far)

Good deal! Happy for you:D , and it is a rewarding feeling to have done it yourself, with the help of the fine folks here!!.

Do check the far east, middle, and far west birds, to check your tracking of the belt...then make small adjustments to get "right on"!
jeff

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)