Anybody used Directbuy

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbjbany

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
El Dorado Hills, CA Nr Sacramento
Has anybody used directbuy for appliances, cabinets, worktops, etc ?

We are looking to remodel the kitchen and my wife likes what she's seen on the TV. ;)

Any gotcha's or success stories out there ?

Thanks in advance

I looked into it - they are hard-sell timeshare type setup when you get there for the "tour"
They want an up front fee of around $4-7k to be paid there and then in order to get "membership" I think that is good for 10 years (although the annual dues are another $3-400 on top of this .... )

The "product" is never in stock - you pick what you want from catalog or order book - then they order it for you at cost price .. it takes anywhere from two weeks to 12 weeks depending on what you order to get to the store ... they also charge you a shipping fee and a handling fee to get the product to the store ...

If you need top-end stuff and lots of it .. it may be worth the cost of membership .. but for someone like me - that won't buy unless its a deal in the first place .. it would not wash. I'd be able to buy the same stuff for just a fraction more than the "direct" price 9 times out of ten when you factor in the shipping and annual membership fee's.

do a google search for "direct buy review" - that's how I found out that it wasn't for me ;)

Well I a happy Direct-Buy member (was United Consumer Club) when we joined in 1992. We lost our house in a fire, total lost. After checking them out we decided to give them a try since we could get back our up-front cost just in one room of hi-end furniture. We ended up buying most of our replacements from them and since it took more than 7 months to build our custom designed new home, we just stored everything we ordered. Yes some of it took months to receive, but the cost savings were really worth it. We bought top quality for 50% or more off and since there is no manufactured list on furniture we found Local ads that offered big discounts on marked up prices. We even had an "open house" to show off our completely new home with much of it bought from Direct-Buy.

First off the membership price has really increased since then and we hope never to have to buy and furnish a complete home again. I have keep our membership active at a yearly membership fee of $200. When I built our Home Theater a few years ago (pictures on site below) I wanted six power leather recliners and found a Local Furniture Store that had what I wanted. They wanted around 8K for them at that time. I priced them at Direct-Buy and found them at about 50% less but you had to pay sales tax, shipping and delivery. I was sure I could do better on the Internet so I contacted several companies (some I had to call since these chairs were name-brand) to get their best price. Had the part numbers (2 of each number for a total of 6) and the leather code. I was shocked to find out that even paying sales tax Direct-Buy was still lower. One Internet Store was higher than the high retail local store. I asked all Internet Sites to give me their lowest complete price. One called me back and asked me how they did? When I told them my lowest price, he told me he could match it. Told him sorry he had one chance. It all worked out since one chair broke a pivot bolt and Direct-Buy ordered complete frames for two of them and came to our house and replaced them at no charge.

So I am still a member but it would be hard to justify their upfront fees now unless you plan to spend big money over several years on your house. They really do have some real cool stuff that you will not find anywhere else. My buying days are about over being retired, but when I replace the big screen I will again get their price.

You can visit their showrooms with an appointment and see all their suppliers with a sales pitch, for free. After becoming a member much can be viewed "On-Line". When we became members you could not charge anything but they had a special Bank credit card deal. They stopped it because most sales were paid for before any interest was charged. They now accept major credit cards for payment.

It is really a great service for deep pocket, high earners that want to save thousands. Many customers bring in their own Interior Designer to help them in their purchases. If this sounds like you, I highly recommend using them and staying a member as we have done. If you are going to make a 10K single purchase and more in the future, that may total 20 to 50K you could justify membership if they can supply your needs.

Hope this helps!

PS Our Local Store in Indianapolis has a great large showroom

If not, have a local retailer match your best Internet Site price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)