Anyone Change the Screen in their Notebook?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
I thought I was going to today, I have a 2 or 3 year old Compaq with a 16" screen and a half dollar sized black splotch in the upper left hand corner... I have my previous model that died (common ailment with that model) tore it apart, screens not the same (only 1 - 2 year difference in model)HDD half the size in the dead one & 2 - 512 k ddr memory (live one has 3 gbs) battery's shaped same but not compatible so struck out on all counts. ;) probably be better to get a new one soon.

I mainly work on Dell laptops and, depending on the model, it is pretty hard to pry the plastic apart to get to the panel itself. Once you get through that part it is pretty simple to take out the small screws holding the panel to the bezel and disconnecting the one or two cables leading from the base part to the panel part. Most will have long screws that secure two aluminum posts to the frame on the base. These are usually accessed by opening up the laptop until it is flat, flipping it over with screen / keyboard facing down, and removing the back rubber feet. The anchor screws are hidden under the feet and there could be one or two per foot.

It it is possible, you MIGHT even be able to upgrade to a nicer panel IF you didn't get the best option when you ordered it. Depending on the resolution and size, expect to pay between $150 and $300 for the bare panel.

I mainly work on Dell laptops and, depending on the model, it is pretty hard to pry the plastic apart to get to the panel itself. Once you get through that part it is pretty simple to take out the small screws holding the panel to the bezel and disconnecting the one or two cables leading from the base part to the panel part. Most will have long screws that secure two aluminum posts to the frame on the base. These are usually accessed by opening up the laptop until it is flat, flipping it over with screen / keyboard facing down, and removing the back rubber feet. The anchor screws are hidden under the feet and there could be one or two per foot.

It it is possible, you MIGHT even be able to upgrade to a nicer panel IF you didn't get the best option when you ordered it. Depending on the resolution and size, expect to pay between $150 and $300 for the bare panel.
Thanks, I can live with it as I usually use it before bed to check the site etc while watching TV ...

The one in my 17" Dell got cracked. I got a new one off of ebay for 60 bucks New. It was better resolution than what was in there. It was not that bad to do. Getting the Bezel off was the hardest part as said above.
So if you find a good supplier or order straight from over seas, it will be cheaper than 150-300.

In my experience laptop screens are pretty interchangeable. A 15.4 from one often fits a 15.4 from another. 16" seems to be rarer and may cost more. I've swapped out a few screens. Donors came from scrapped laptops or ebay.

You can always google your model and "screen replacement" to see if someone has uploaded a video showing how to do it. I've changed a few and those videos have come in handy. Ebay is the place for screens but check the seller's feedback. I had a seller send me a broken one and he did not want to have it back or give me a refund. I had to file a claim.

If you had to spend 150-300 to do it then you might as well sell yours and buy another one that is newer and better for that price point. Ebay is a great source for cheap laptop screens.

Did the model numbers match on the two panels?

Might have just needed a driver update but that is hard to do if you don't get a display to begin with. I generally do stuff like that by connecting a monitor to the laptop's external video port if it has one. I actually had a friend that just took the panel part completely off and used an external LCD with the laptop. Not exactly portable but they were still able to use the laptop. LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts