Anyone compare a FM/HD tuner with a analog FM tuner yet?

Soundhd

Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare the quality of a HD FM tuner with a standard FM analog tuner........I know that there are a couple manufacturers out there making consumer HD FM tuners.........I have been thinking about getting one.....I know that all the PBS stations in my area (SE Michigan) are broadcasting in HDFM now.....I have read that there is alot of good music being transmitted on the HD side bands (or what ever they are called). I also belong to a local audio club (SMAC - Southeastern Michigan Audio Club) and some of the members are saying that HDFM sounds like a 128kbps MP3 music file or alot like satelite radio (which I have not had chance to listen to yet). If satlelite radio and HDFM sound like a 128kbps MP3 music file that does not have alot to say for the audio quality. I do have a IPOD and I use 320kbsp music files on it. It is great for music on the go but does not compare with my CD's or vinyl at home. We meet once a month and at the next meeting it sounds like one of the members is going to bring his HDFM tuner. Hopefully we will get a chance to compare it with a standard FM tuner. Any pro's or cons on this subject? :music:

Music is in the ear of the listener.......

Was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare the quality of a HD FM tuner with a standard FM analog tuner........I know that there are a couple manufacturers out there making consumer HD FM tuners.........I have been thinking about getting one.....I know that all the PBS stations in my area (SE Michigan) are broadcasting in HDFM now.....I have read that there is alot of good music being transmitted on the HD side bands (or what ever they are called). I also belong to a local audio club (SMAC - Southeastern Michigan Audio Club) and some of the members are saying that HDFM sounds like a 128kbps MP3 music file or alot like satelite radio (which I have not had chance to listen to yet). If satlelite radio and HDFM sound like a 128kbps MP3 music file that does not have alot to say for the audio quality. I do have a IPOD and I use 320kbsp music files on it. It is great for music on the go but does not compare with my CD's or vinyl at home. We meet once a month and at the next meeting it sounds like one of the members is going to bring his HDFM tuner. Hopefully we will get a chance to compare it with a standard FM tuner. Any pro's or cons on this subject? :music:

Music is in the ear of the listener.......

its just depends on the station , some sound great , other good , some Bad ( Like there in a tunnel) but these are the HD ch 2 & 3 , Fm sounds just fine , The radio I have Automatically picks the strongest signal it finds ( HD , then fm , then am ) best device I've bought in years , out of about 40 HD stations I'd say 25 - 30 have Good to decent Audio , the other 10 to 15 have so so audio ( 128kbs mp3 type sound) I hope this helps

yeah, where I'm at almost all the stations are HD now.. some have multiple channels.. some are good music, others eh, others sound terrible because they over do it sending out 3 or 4 streams of music..

One country station had normal country on the main channel (current stuff).. classic stuff on the second one.. and news on the last channel (which was compressed to death, but it's news so whatever)..

yeah, where I'm at almost all the stations are HD now.. some have multiple channels.. some are good music, others eh, others sound terrible because they over do it sending out 3 or 4 streams of music..

One country station had normal country on the main channel (current stuff).. classic stuff on the second one.. and news on the last channel (which was compressed to death, but it's news so whatever)..

yea , i find the ones with 3 ch , usually the 3rd is horrible audio , but you can't beat FREE:D

As far as equipment is conerned, it all depends. I am using a high-end receiver and sound quality can be great, if the channel is good.

But some HD channels are poor particularly when they are broadcasting multiple channels. Good HD channels sound better than their equivalent FM channels.

The quality of signal varies by station, in my area (Philadelphia DMA) there are plenty of stations to choose from with a wide variety of music types.

Overall I am pleased with HD radio, most of the stations sound very good (the ones I like), if I had to rank overall audio quality of signal sources:

1) CD
2) Hi bit rate (wma,mp3)
3) HD radio
4) Satellite radio
5) FM radio.

Again just my opinion!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)