Anyone downgrade their subscriptions and gone to NETFLIX for the movies?

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Looking at NETFLIX I can't tell if they essentially have most of the movies all the premiums have. Seems most of HBO/Stars is junk anymore with the series stuff and soon to be commercials in between.

Has anyone any first hand experience with NETFLIX ... good - bad - waste of time?

With Netflix HD downloads and PS3 app for only $8/month it is tempting. The first month is free, so you can try before you buy.

I downgraded from AEP to 250 and got NetFlix. So far I am happy but wish there was a lot more movies and TV shows that are streaming. I bought an AppleTV to do NetFlix. The only thing that I don't like is that there is no DD5.1 on AppleTV yet for NetFlix. I'm hoping DD5.1 comes soon. I currently have 2 622s and I'm thinking about switching out one 622 for a 211 which will save me $10 a month and get HBO back. Don't think I can wait 6 months to watch Big Love.

Netflix have alot of older movies though just like the premium channels.Now that some of the studios are holding back on their new releases on there for 30 days it is not a great deal as it once was,to me.As far as the premium movie channels they are crazy if Im going to pay $16.99 a month for HBO.They show the same stuff all the time.The premium movie channels shouldnt be no more than $5.99 a month EACH.I would pay $20.00 a month for all of the premiums but no more.I guess its going to take alot of people going to Netflix and other outlets on the internet for these companies to realize this isnt the late 70s or 80s anymore.HBO had its day in the 80s when they got alot of the first run movies first..Not anymore ,,bye bye HBO.I guess all you can do now is count on your original programming or series......

I also downgraded from AEP to 250. I am using a ROKU HD box along with a PS3 for NetFlix. I also just got a BD player that does NetFlix as well as my new 60" LCD TV. So, NetFlix all over the house and am loving it. The PQ of movies have been fine but the PQ of some of the TV series has been so-so. I am using a wireless bridge with a 3 meg DSL connection with no problems so far.

I got an Apple TV for Christmas, dropped Showtime and added Netflix on Monday. So far, I'm very happy!! Plus, I can always rent a movie from I-tunes should I so desire.

I also downgraded from AEP to 250 and using Roku and Sony TV and Blueray to stream Netflix. The only thing I miss is some of the original series that were on HBO/Showtime

I dropped all movie channels after TRue Blood ended and down to top 200 . I recently added Platinum pack for three months because DISH offered it . Will drop again when the free view is over. I have used Netflix streaming only for a month now and so far I love it. There is not enough new movies though. But I have plenty of stuff being streamed over my google revue unit and at 1080p it looks great. I won't be using HBo any longer either. It is way to HIGH at $16.00 a month. So Amazon.com for each episode of True Blood next summer instead. The days of bloated premium movie packs are over. They have priced themselves out of reach for most people. Netflix has put a good reasonable price on their service. I don't know how long it will stay this low at $8.00 a month, but I love it for now.

I dropped all movie channels after TRue Blood ended and down to top 200 . I recently added Platinum pack for three months because DISH offered it . Will drop again when the free view is over. I have used Netflix streaming only for a month now and so far I love it. There is not enough new movies though. But I have plenty of stuff being streamed over my google revue unit and at 1080p it looks great. I won't be using HBo any longer either. It is way to HIGH at $16.00 a month. So Amazon.com for each episode of True Blood next summer instead. The days of bloated premium movie packs are over. They have priced themselves out of reach for most people. Netflix has put a good reasonable price on their service. I don't know how long it will stay this low at $8.00 a month, but I love it for now.

You got that right.They can keep their premium channels....:p

I dropped all the premium channels several years ago (my way of protesting the loss of the VOOM channels) and started using Netflix. I don't need a separate player, because I use my 65-inch TV as a PC monitor and run Netflix through the PC. I do have some issues with Netflix.

Netflix signs contracts with expiration dates to show movies as streaming videos, and you need to do a lot of work to keep track of what's about to disappear. Three weeks ago they dropped 1500+ videos from their streaming list all at one time (most were old TV series, not movies).

You need at least a 3.5 mbps Internet connection to view their HD offerings (Netflix recommends 5 mbps).

You should not see any pixelation when watching either SD or HD streaming video, but especially for HD, there is a fuzziness or lack of sparkle in the PQ at least on my system, compared to the better DISH channels such as STARZ (as I remember it from 3 years ago).

Netflix does not always buy the Blu-Ray version of a film; sometimes (maybe the majority of times), it only offers the SD version, even when a Blu-Ray version is available. I would say also say that only a minority of the Blu-Ray films that Netflix has purchased rights to are available as streaming video (but I haven't actually counted them).

Despite all these caveats, I am very happy with Netflix service and programming and I have no doubt that I made the right decision in dropping the premium channels for Netflix.

I also tried Netflix for 14 days but decided I couldn't justify the price. Also the four main premiums (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz) weren't worth the price either. What I've found works best for me is RedBox. It is $1 a day for DVDs and kiosks are found at many supermarkets and convenient stores across the country. You need a debit or credit card to use it, and after looking over my statements I wasn't spending the $9/mo to justify Netflix. The best part is you can look at all the movies offered online, then reserve that movie at the nearest kiosk to your location. When you are ready to return, you can return at any kiosk, it doesn't have to be where you picked it up. I'm not sure what the blu-ray prices are, but those are available as well. I don't believe that streaming movies are available yet, but that may be offered down the road.

AT250 + Netflix here. Works out really great. We also stream other content when need be. There is just no way to justify the $35/mo for the movie packages. redbox is cool, but really inconvenient. I know several people who ending up owning movies they rented from redbox, lol.

Sure did!

I did this back when HBO cancelled Deadwood. Have NOT missed it at all. First off I rarely use the streaming, I usually get the disks, and so have perfect sound and picture. If we watch a show I mail it on Day1, Day2 they get it, and by day3 I have the next one. EVERYTHING you miss on HBO is eventually on disk, so I haven't missed anything. As far as the 30 day wait on new stuff, I've always got 80-90 items in my queue at any given time, so I really don't care if I don't get it the day it comes out. I've got WAY more than I can watch as it is.
I'm with whoever said the HBO's etc, should be about $6. Anything more than that, and I'm sticking with Netflix. Had them since 2002 and have NEVER had anything bad to say about them. (The price dropped, and they added features over the years).

I dropped AEP and just went to HBO. I will probably consider cancelling HBO one day too (just have it for the series, and yes I know they come out on BD about a year after they air). The three other movie packages have trouble competing with netflix.

I downgraded 6 months ago and joined Netflix. It is by far the best decision I ever made. Loads of programs for my daughter, too. Top 120 HD Free + Netflix is great.

AT200 and netflix through a blue ray player for me. I'm happy with it. I do wish Netflix would put a new newer movies to the instant view though. For $9 a month, I'll keep it.

Dropped HBO & Starz 1 1/2 years ago, only have Absolute and locals, but have been recording so many movies and network programs that I have not added Netflix yet.

The Encore Movie Pack (if you do not sub to AT 250) is a nice addition to a lower pack for $5/month just as long as they do not increase the price. Included are:
Encore West
Encore Westerns
Encore Love
Encore Drama
Encore Mystery
Encore Action
MoviePlex
They play some older favorites, and sometimes you can catch a somewhat new or recent title.
[Note: Encore Wam and Encore East SD or/and HD are not included in the Encore Movie Pack.]

Some may also find HD Platinum (Note: MoviePlex SD and Pixl HD were recently added) to be a deal for $10 (currently) which includes:
Starz Cinema SD
Encore Mystery SD
MoviePlex SD
Epix 1 HD
Epix 2 HD
HDNet Movies
IndiePlex HD
RetroPlex HD
Sony Movie Channel HD
MGM HD
Pixl HD
Shorts HD
Other channels in HD Platinum include:
Centric
Crime and Investigation HD
Fashion TV HD
HD Theater
Logo
Mav TV HD
Palladia HD
Universal HD
WFN (World Fishing Network) HD

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)