Anyone downgrade their subscriptions and gone to NETFLIX for the movies?

You know, Dish should make a box that has a Netflix app on it. They can't fight this, they should join it and make it really convenient for us. If they make it, I will buy it.

Surely the 922 could run a Netfix app.

I don't have Dish but I have dropped all premium channels on D*. My monthly bill with Netflix runs about 19 and it includes two DVDs out at a time, streaming, Blu-ray and taxes. To get all of the premiums on D* would be close to 50.

We watch HBO alot, both for movies and their show series, and specials. I find the price is worth it, but would have to reconsider if it were to rise much. That along with the free Encore movie pack, to me is a pretty good deal for someone who watches movies.

I dropped the spanish package and also dropped to 120 a year ago because E* dropped Voom, GolTV, and had my duoDVR 625 replaced twice with crashed drives. I've had netflix for 5 months and love it.

Last edited:
I would echo the suggestion to give it a try. That's what I did a couple of years ago and have loved having Netflix ever since. At first, I just hooked the Laptop to the TV and streamed it that way. Now I have 2 blu-ray players w/netflix, streaming on the wii and I watch it through media center on the pc ( needs live to stream ).

The highest I have been was 2 discs at a time when I first joined. We dropped back to 1 disc at a time (unlimited) because that was about all of the movie watching we could fit into a week. Now I do one disc and stream stuff now and then. Lately, I have been catching up on older shows of Top Gear and Battlestar Galactica.

But like others have said, you can try for a month free. Netflix customer service is very nice and won't argue if you change your mind.

I have the 1 disc, blu-ray and streaming and I'm working on her to let me drop the premiums and maybe even downgrade from 250 if we drop the premiums. I have really enjoyed Netflix. As for new stuff, I don't know how far down the list I am but both Red and Salt arrive later this month. Don't know when they're scheduled for one of the premiums. And I too have been catching up on old series that I previously missed. Plus watching some over, like The Dresden Files I'm working on now. And many of the good BBC mysteries are on DVD so I get them through the mail. The timer got messed up for the last episode of Luther. A couple of days later it was in my mailbox and I got all caught up.

I started with Dish and the AEP package then dropped to AT250 with 2 movie channels and currently have the AT200 package with no movie channels. I recently added the Roku box and joined Netflix. Neflix has been great so far both in streaming quality and speed of DVD shipments. I hope Netflix doesn't follow the rest and continuously raise their prices. They offer a great price for the amount of movies they offer. If Dish keeps raising fees and prices, and I will continue to drop down on the package levels. Dish has way too many shopping channels and is not worth the price that they charge.

You're forgetting the shopping channels PAY Dish and all other providers to be on.
In addition, I would set up a favorites list to take out the channels that I do not want to flip through such as those shopping channels. :)

rexlan said:
Looking at NETFLIX I can't tell if they essentially have most of the movies all the premiums have. Seems most of HBO/Stars is junk anymore with the series stuff and soon to be commercials in between.

Has anyone any first hand experience with NETFLIX ... good - bad - waste of time?

Netflix is the way to go. Plus all Starz movies are included with Netflix in Starz play.

I am the only one disappointed in the quality of Netflix streaming. I don't know if it's my internet speed but I think it is less than dvd quality

I dropped down to the 120 HDFree and Netflix. I'm couldn't be happier I did that. Most of what I watched was on the locals and the SyFy channel. I could get all the movies I want from Netflix. Forget the overpriced PPVs. Two of those and my Netflix sub is paid for.

I am using the google revue unit and it is upconverted to 1080p. The hd movies look better to me over netflix than on DISH premium movie channels. I have good internet speeds as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)