Anyone have a problem of a Furry friend sleeping on the warm satellite receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
One of my cats loves to sleep on my satellite receiver.I get her off the sat box when i see her there because of possible overheating.My other cat seems to like the cable box better.:)

My friend discouraged his dog from digging up the flower beds and under the fence.
He deployed strips of aluminum foil, and hooked 'em to an electric fence supply.
After getting the message, the dog would stay off the living room sofa by simpy leaving a piece of (non-electrified) foil on it. ;)

This was a fairly stupid breed, so it might work on cats.

You could put something the cat dislikes near your receiver.
I was thinking of a fan to tickle his hair.

What about a light beam right above the receiver?
When the beam is broken, ... well, you get the idea. ;)

Or maybe just stand the receiver on edge? :up !

Way back when, the TV was filled with tubes, the cat took up residence in the 'broiler zone' under it. When the Johnny Carson monologue was on she would jump on top the TV, reach over the screen, and swat at his hands.
Today, the cat(Puppi) is too big to fit atop the TV, as it's only about 2 inches wide.
If not in the window looking out, winter mode, he's in HIS bed, HIS chair or on HIS couch.

I bought a heated cat bed for my little feline. It wasn't in the house no time, she took right to it & loves it. Was a tad on the high side, but well worth it & very energy efficient.
I have an electric rock I got for my lizards a decade ago... ;) same idea

The resident cat here is way too long to fit on anything electronic that I own now, lol. (maine coon-the extended cab version of regular housecats).

Caught my little muffin in the act! heres a pic.

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 210
I got our cats to stay off the AVR by looping wide blue painter's tape, sticky side out, and attaching a few on top. Cats hate it! After a few days you can remove the tape, they'll stay off. Might need to repeat every 6 months or so.

I've got enough cats to be the "crazy cat guy", and yes, several of them like getting on top of any receiver that's available. My DSR922 & DSR4800 receivers are the favorites. But anything that gets warm is fair game.

The sticky tape is a good idea and works. Another thing that cats hate... and I mean HATE, is orange peels. It's hard to keep enough fresh orange peels around unless you really love oranges though. But they work. Just stick an orange peel in your cat's face sometime and see the reaction. lol.

Cheers

I have most of my equipment in a home-made wooden shelf unit, so there is only about an inch of air space above each unit, so no cat problem. My sons cat likes to lay on his Harmon-Kardon amp while it is running, and watch us watch TV. They do love to lay on or next to any thing warm or hot.

I don't have any inside cats anymore.

My crazy cat gizmo sleeps on my hopper all the time. He's crazy so if he's sleeping I leave him alone he's a jack Russell in a cat.

He hang out for years on my 612 so I don't care if he sleeps on it no heat issues.

ke4est said:
I don't have any inside cats anymore.

Us either. But if we did & he took up residence on any of my equipment, the next sounds would be "SMACK!" "....REEEOOWWWWWW" THUD! ....in that order. :eek: :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.