Anyone Have Apple TV?

JonE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Denver, CO
How is it?

I'm looking at non-satellite/cable back up plans if the Dish Network price increase isn't something I can justify. I don't watch that much TV to begin with, My sports watching has decreased dramatically, I have a large collection of DVD/Blu-Ray movies, and the shows I do watch are available on iTunes, or if not I can always pick them up on DVD.

Plus everything else I have except the HDTV and Blu-Ray player is made by Apple so why not?

I have it, and its really cool.. I use it to sync all my itunes music and watch movies. You can rent movies for 3.99 or in hd for 4.99, or you can buy the movie to keep for ever for 14.99 on average. The PQ is just as good as D*'s Most popular show's are on Itunes / Apple TV and can be bought by the episode in HD or SD for a couple of bucks, or via season pass for like 50 bucks depending on the show (you keep those forever). And usally are avaliable the day after they air.

You can watch youtube videos off of it on your tv, Flicker and all that other stuff. I have my photo libary hooked up to it so when my wife is listening to her Itunes music while working out, you can see the photo's in HD.. I would say go for it.

I've been looking at the programming available and it's certainly a large improvement over what I have now with Dish. I have the HD package which means no FX, No AMC, No Comedy Central, I could go on all day. And it's hard to justify keeping E* for what I do watch. Plus the $4.99 rentals for HD Movies is a bonus, although I think the clincher will be the iPod versions in SD since I'm not near my TV more than I am.

Thanks, Bob. :)

Keep in mind, there really isn't much you can do with an Apple TV that you can't do with an Xbox360, PS3, or Tivo, if you have any of those already.

Not to knock the Apple TV, it's just redundant functionality if you have a game console or Tivo.

Keep in mind, there really isn't much you can do with an Apple TV that you can't do with an Xbox360, PS3, or Tivo, if you have any of those already.

Not to knock the Apple TV, it's just redundant functionality if you have a game console or Tivo.

I don't really have either one, and I'm not a gamer. I have a Wii but that's pretty much it. I have a 722 from Dish Network but it acts as a DVR (which is nice) and a tuner and not much else. I'm not an Apple fanboy but I do have a lot of their products, from the Macbook I'm typing on now to the iPod and Future iPhone after my T-Mobile contract is up. Having a look at what's available on iTunes, there are plenty of things available in HD that I don't get on Dish (like FX, Comedy Central as examples).

I don't have an apple tv, but I am part of the boxee alpha also, and I am pretty sure I can send out invites if anyone is interested in trying it on their Apple tv, just send me a pm with your email address and i'll try to send out some invites.

Probably the coolest functionality its supposed to add is Hulu and Netflix streaming to your Apple Tv

I don't have an apple tv, but I am part of the boxee alpha also, and I am pretty sure I can send out invites if anyone is interested in trying it on their Apple tv, just send me a pm with your email address and i'll try to send out some invites.

Probably the coolest functionality its supposed to add is Hulu and Netflix streaming to your Apple Tv

I'm big on Hulu as well, this might just do it for me. I do wonder how much of the Apple Store content is in HD? Most of the stuff I watch is non-network stuff like Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters and Deadliest Catch on Discovery, some History Channel stuff, and the occassional movie although I recently got into House M.D. (better late than never), NCIS and Burn Notice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)