Reasonable source for 4GB DDR2 PC-6400 chips?

Go directly to the memory manufacturers. Kingston.com sells 4GB modules and I'm sure Crucial, Corsair, etc. do as well.

If you really need that much memory for a serious application, you should probably be looking at enterprise class fully buffered ecc hardware.

If you just want the most ridiculous gaming rig on the block than you should be moving up to a Core i7 platform with triple-channel ddr3.

I'm building a Hyper-V platform so I can virtualize the two domain controllers, exchange, sql and a couple other servers I'm currently running on crappy P4 or worse hardware. This is for home and money is tight, so I've found an ECS board that supports up to 16GB and a Q6600 quad core processor at reasonable prices. Since it generates no actual revenue I can't justify server-class hardware not to mention the heat and noise that would produce.

I can probably do most of it with 8GB but exchange and sql like lots of memory.

I went to amazon They have some corsair 4gb memory for $54 each
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-PC2-6400-240-pin-Channel-Desktop/dp/B000TPXULC/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227720432&sr=8-1"][/ame]
Crucial.com was silly money.

For home setup, I guess, speed is not a priority - I would stay with old PC, perhaps add more RAM to max. Cheaper solution.
Speed is not the highest priority. The priority is getting rid of seven heat-producing dinosaurs. RAM is already maxed. Two have 1.5GB and the others have less, but the max for their respective boards.

Looks like Amazon has the OCZ 8GB ($172) and 16GB ($344) kits, if I want to wait 6-8 weeks.

I can't make heads or tails of that first one but all they list in their product catalog is 2GB modules, so doubtless at that price it is a set of two.

Can Exchange run in a VM? I thought that was problematic at this point in time.

I'm not an expert, I'm more of a *nix guy -- but I recall having a discussion about limitations of exchange server in a VM.

Cheers,

Pretty much everything I have tried can run in a VM. For performance reasons it might be necessary to make certain adjustments, for example, attaching a real disk natively rather than a VHD file for something that is very disk intensive.

Exchange 2007 is supported in a VM as of SP1, as long as you follow MS' guidance on how to do it. In any case it's got to work better than the 32-bit version I'm running now. :)

Can Exchange run in a VM? I thought that was problematic at this point in time.

I'm not an expert, I'm more of a *nix guy -- but I recall having a discussion about limitations of exchange server in a VM.

Cheers,

Pretty much anything can be run in a VM, but some apps do not like VMotion, including one of the pieces of our encryption software server that I help support.

4GB memory sale at Fry's.
DDR2 4GB PC6400 DUAL CRUCIAL
$20.00 Rebate
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Price:[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]29.99[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]After Rebate:[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]9.99[/FONT]

Unfortunately, sold out already.:mad:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)