anyone have multiroom dvr yet

Andrew_J_M said:
Thanks again Longhorn, that sounds like a near-perfect solution. I like to see the ability to link in my Windows MCE PC via the LAN and play back .avi and other files on the TV. Also optionally using the LAN instead of the coax links could be an advantage.

I'm glad you used the words near perfect because man I can see the bugs in my mind even today lol. The multiroom viewing will only work over the existing coax cables but the box does have an eithernet jack that can be used to connect to a home LAN as that would allow the transfer of shows onto your computer via Verizon provided software.

Over at dslreports, someone posted that they are getting the multi-room DVR installed August 4 and that August 3 is the official release date.

Also says it's $19.95/month for the new DVR. At that price, I'd rather get a Series 3 Tivo and 2 CableCards. It might not have multi-room functionality, but at least it's not Motorola's poor excuse for a DVR (I originally was OK with it, but the more I use it the more I miss my DirecTV Tivo box).

TexasAg1996 said:
Over at dslreports, someone posted that they are getting the multi-room DVR installed August 4 and that August 3 is the official release date.

Also says it's $19.95/month for the new DVR. At that price, I'd rather get a Series 3 Tivo and 2 CableCards. It might not have multi-room functionality, but at least it's not Motorola's poor excuse for a DVR (I originally was OK with it, but the more I use it the more I miss my DirecTV Tivo box).

I haven't heard anything about an extra charge that high. I've heard it would be at most a jump from 12.95/month to 14.95/month or the price would just stay the same. I also know for a fact that the multiroom DVR will not be ready by that install date unless that customer is a beta tester and they are only allowing employees to beta test last I checked.

Extra Charge..

I just talked to a Verizon guy about getting a DVR and he said that the charge for multiroom is $19.95 and it replaces the $12.95 cost of the normal DVR service. He also said as of today (August 10th, 06) that the multiroom stuff is NOT ready.

Just thought I would share that.

Based on this issue - I'm actually considering switching to a different service. FiOS has a great image quality and such - but my wife is giving me more greif than the HD image is worth. Not to mention that in typical VZ style, they are nickling and diming where they can. I'm starting to realize that similar content can be found elsewhere cheaper.

I love FiOS - but maybe it should be only for internet....

Huachipato said:
Based on this issue - I'm actually considering switching to a different service. FiOS has a great image quality and such - but my wife is giving me more greif than the HD image is worth. Not to mention that in typical VZ style, they are nickling and diming where they can. I'm starting to realize that similar content can be found elsewhere cheaper.

(phone/cable/Internet) I've saved $70 a month and I get more than I did when I was at Comcast. :confused:

Who was your provider prior to vz and do they have a multi-room DRV for cheaper money?

Before I left Comcast, I couldn't find anyone cheaper than Fios.

Huachipato said:

You can get Fios TV without the HD and DVR, etc. This should reduce our cost and will MUCH cheaper that a similiar serivce, which must be what you are describing, wil cost.

While my savings are not as much as others listed, I had Dish everything with all movies in 4 rooms (2 devices), HD and DVR and I now have Fios with everything and all movies HD and DVR, reallt apples to apples. I am saving about 12.00 per month and when storms blow through, well some day when we do get rain again, I don't lose service or get a scrambled signal. And, the VOD is a little nicer than Dish.

Still looking for the Multi player HD/DVR option and a better menu interface, but I know that this will come.

Dollar for Dollar thought, you can't beat Fios, unless you are the president of Dish or Comcast.

After doing some research, I did find that apples for apples the only company that compares in price is Dish Network (which even then is still a little more pricey on the content side). The issue I'm running into is that my wife doesn't care too much about HD programming and does care a lot that she cannot watch recorded programs in the bedroom. Top it off with the bill being about $11 more than the non-HD programming we had with Dish, and she starts indicating that we are paying more for less features that she cares about.

Anyways - that is where I'm coming from.

I did read where the Multi-room may be out now - so maybe that will help sooth things over a little better. I'll need to check that out.

Is it just me - or does anybody else think it is absurd that Verizon wants to charge an extra $7 a month to activate a feature that runs on my own home network, and does not require a change in equipment?

Why not just have a one time fee to activate the feature?

Huachipato said:
Is it just me - or does anybody else think it is absurd that Verizon wants to charge an extra $7 a month to activate a feature that runs on my own home network, and does not require a change in equipment?

Why not just have a one time fee to activate the feature?

YUP!!

Just like it is amazing that they don't offer a bundle for Fios Tv, Internet and Phone Subscribers. I still have not switched my phone because of this. No real reason to move from Comcast digital phone to Fios phone without an incentive.

Also find it ironic that they don't make the multi-room in HD. Man, for a company trying to get on the edge, they just keep making a left turn before they get there. I think that might be suffering from telecomidise, a disease in which you get so big that your ears become swollen shut and you cannot hear your customers anymore. AT&T and Comcast suffered tremendously from this affliction and now Time Warner is going to take on the challenge. Lets hope that Verizon gets the appropraite medication before the disease takes over completely.

Just like it is amazing that they don't offer a bundle for Fios Tv, Internet and Phone Subscribers.
AFAIK, they do offer an extra $5/mo discount when you are a "triple play" customer. Their regular price on Voicewing service is $19.95/mo for 500 minutes or $24.95 for unlimited; subscribing to Fios TV and Internet drops that by $5.

There are cheaper alternatives. The going rate on other VoIP providers is unlimited phone service for $8.30/mo ($199 prepaid for two years).

Update for everyone: Verizon now has a section of the FiosTV website detailing their multi-room DVR service, which they refer to as "Home Media."

Interesting details:

You can only stream to two other set-top boxes from the DVR 'server' - any set-top box can playback recordings, just no more than two simultaneously.

It will, in fact, be $19.95 / Month instead of the normal $12.95 DVR charge - It is not a free add-on as was previously posted.

You can check all the features out here:

http://www22.verizon.com/content/fiostv/dvr/home+media+faqs/home+media+faqs.htm

Cheers!

From what I've been told is the system will take all of your DVR boxes and make them appear to all boxes (including DVR boxes) as one DVR. So lets assume you have 3 HD DVR boxes and 1 digital box for a total of 4 boxes in your home. All 4 boxes will appear as one total DVR with 6 total recording tuners. The benefit of this is that a recording can be scheduled from any of the four total boxes and I also heard the system will try and schedule the recordings in such a way that every DVR will have at least one tuner open if it can be done.

So say if you have three shows scheduled to record at the sametime it will schedule it to record using one tuner on each of the three DVR boxes leaving all DVR boxes the ability to still watch live TV. Now once you get upto 4 live recordings at a time only two DVR boxes out of the three will have live TV tuner available and I don't believe you can pick which box to use the second tuner with.

Has there been any confirmation on this? Can you use more than on DVR together with the multiroom viewing (ie combine the tuners like Longhorn said or even be able to access the both DVR's from another box)?

Has there been any confirmation on this? Can you use more than on DVR together with the multiroom viewing (ie combine the tuners like Longhorn said or even be able to access the both DVR's from another box)?

That was the plan but I guess I was wrong. I'm still trying to find out why the system they rolled out has been so limited but I haven't heard anything back. Also I'm not very happy with Verizon now so I've been a little of a bitch with my contacts which could be why I haven't heard anything different.

Yeah, the Mr. DVR is a dud. Oh well, atleast we still get great PQ, and still it's a better DVR than the SA8300HD box Comcast has. *shudder*

-John

That was the plan but I guess I was wrong. I'm still trying to find out why the system they rolled out has been so limited but I haven't heard anything back. Also I'm not very happy with Verizon now so I've been a little of a bitch with my contacts which could be why I haven't heard anything different.

Well that sucks. I also noticed that it doesn't show the HD on any other TV but the main that seems kind of odd. I'm with D* right now and not even sure when or if Verison or SBC will come out with FIOS out in Chicago. I've just been waiting for someone to get a good multi-room viewing setup (kind of like the VOOM one that never happen) that I don't have to put together myself or hack the box to do. I have no issue jumping ship to who ever gets this up and going in my area but I really can't see jumping unless I could get a min. of 4 tuners, 6 would be ideal. I normally only use 3-4 tuners but there are some times I need the 5th or 6th tuner.

Thanks for the info Longhorn.